Today, I had to fire a customer

newsmike

Not often, but every once in a while, I get that client…yes that client who:

Ignores the “no modifications included” in the description section of my gig.
Ignores the “no modifications included” in the FAQ section of my gig.
Ignores the “no modifications included” on the order page, AND the button you had to press stating that you have read and understood that modifications are in fact, NOT INCLUDED.

This was a repeat customer who has has always been happy with the work and certainly knows what I deliver. So, he gets the job and shoots back, “good, but can we get it with a bit more excitement?”

I say, of course, here’s the offer.

He immediately then initiates dispute, claiming that the “quality” was not good. Funny how it switches from “good, but do it again with more excitement for free”, to the “quality” was not good.

I composed the following and sent to him. I hate to inform him that even the newly invented reason for refund is not valid per TOS.

Dear (name of cheap client redacted) Your initial request was not a concern about quality, you asked for more excitement, which is a directorial change. In 3 separate places on my gig it states that directorial changes are not included. I have spent time in studio and delivered what you ordered.

I understand that you may want to have it redone with more excitement, but to expect additional time in studio for free is not reasonable. Neither is asking that I not be paid for the time I have already spent. If you were recording music, would you seriously expect the musicians to stay and do take after take for free while you make direction changes? Of course not.

Even the fiverr Terms of Service provide for this as follows. "Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig page." So, even if the “quality” issue was factual, it still would not qualify for a refund. For that reason, I am declining the cancellation request and suggest that in the future you work with other voice over artists.

Mike

I am now going to go spend his money. Harrumph!!

Not often, but every once in a while, I get that client…yes that client who:

Ignores the “no modifications included” in the description section of my gig.

Ignores the “no modifications included” in the FAQ section of my gig.

Ignores the “no modifications included” on the order page, AND the button you had to press stating that you have read and understood that modifications are in fact, NOT INCLUDED.

This was a repeat customer who has has always been happy with the work and certainly knows what I deliver. So, he gets the job and shoots back, “good, but can we get it with a bit more excitement?”

I say, of course, here’s the offer.

He immediately then initiates dispute, claiming that the “quality” was not good. Funny how it switches from “good, but do it again with more excitement for free”, to the “quality” was not good.

I composed the following and sent to him. I hate to inform him that even the newly invented reason for refund is not valid per TOS.

Dear (name of cheap client redacted) Your initial request was not a concern about quality, you asked for more excitement, which is a directorial change. In 3 separate places on my gig it states that directorial changes are not included. I have spent time in studio and delivered what you ordered.

I understand that you may want to have it redone with more excitement, but to expect additional time in studio for free is not reasonable. Neither is asking that I not be paid for the time I have already spent. If you were recording music, would you seriously expect the musicians to stay and do take after take for free while you make direction changes? Of course not.

Even the fiverr Terms of Service provide for this as follows. "Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig page." So, even if the “quality” issue was factual, it still would not qualify for a refund. For that reason, I am declining the cancellation request and suggest that in the future you work with other voice over artists.

Mike

I am now going to go spend his money. Harrumph!!

Great response. 👌 as @gina_riley2 just said…

Stay the high ground!

Mike

I thought your name is Smike. New Smike. 😕

Great response. 👌 as @gina_riley2 just said…

Stay the high ground!

Mike

I thought your name is Smike. New Smike. 😕

You now, I happily fix any mistakes I make cheerfully and quickly, it’s just these situations that are frustrating. We so often counsel noobs to “never work for free” so, it may be better to outgrow and fire a repeat customer who puts you through this, and focus on the vast majority who appreciate you and are happy to compensate you fairly, even tossing you a tip for your time and efforts.

I get all your points 101% because it’s simply correct.

I think, especially newer seller like me, simply fear the bad review after firing against a customer.

I think, especially newer seller like me, simply fear the bad review after firing against a customer.

I completely understand, It is a concern.

@newsmike I wish more sellers had your backbone and self esteem to refuse to do free work.

He’s still arguing with me. Has opened 6 disputes and requests to cancel. Each time I decline and paste this.

The work was great. You just wanted more work for free. In 3 separate places on my gig it states that no modifications are provided for directorial changes. To expect additional time in studio for free is not reasonable. Neither is asking that I not be paid for the time I have already spent.

But even if your claim of poor quality were valid, The Fiverr TOS is clear on this: “Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig page.”

Just because you choose to ignore that which is plainly stated in my gig, and the TOS, does not entitle you to free work.

He’s still arguing with me. Has opened 6 disputes and requests to cancel. Each time I decline and paste this.

The work was great. You just wanted more work for free. In 3 separate places on my gig it states that no modifications are provided for directorial changes. To expect additional time in studio for free is not reasonable. Neither is asking that I not be paid for the time I have already spent.

But even if your claim of poor quality were valid, The Fiverr TOS is clear on this: “Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig page.”

Just because you choose to ignore that which is plainly stated in my gig, and the TOS, does not entitle you to free work.

Wouldn’t you just love to :fist_right: him?

He just left a review for you, OP.

LOL yes, my first 1 star review because I won’t work for free. Life is too short to worry about fools. I’m sure there are others here who have suffered the wrath of those who wanted free stuff and would stop at nothing to get it.

LOL yes, my first 1 star review because I won’t work for free. Life is too short to worry about fools. I’m sure there are others here who have suffered the wrath of those who wanted free stuff and would stop at nothing to get it.

I don’t think even if you were going to give him the freebies that he demanded, he would have left a positive feedback. Perhaps, he is thinking about entering your niche and he believes he has already started working on it by giving one popular seller one negative feedback.

I have a couple of suggestions to prevent this in the future.

1. Have an extra for one re-do or revision.

2. Have one of your questions be:

Do you offer free revisions?

answer: No but I will give a revision if you choose to order my extra for one.

Then if they say they want you to re do it, send them an offer for the extra. This will avoid getting into an argument with them hopefully.

Have a sugar sweet response all ready to go to send them along with the offer of the extra.

I have a couple of suggestions to prevent this in the future.

1. Have an extra for one re-do or revision.

2. Have one of your questions be:

Do you offer free revisions?

answer: No but I will give a revision if you choose to order my extra for one.

Then if they say they want you to re do it, send them an offer for the extra. This will avoid getting into an argument with them hopefully.

Have a sugar sweet response all ready to go to send them along with the offer of the extra.

No but I will give a revision if you choose to order my extra for one.

I did offer to redo for an extra, I always do. He just decided to be an ass. He opened 9 disputes on my order today. Glad to be rid of him. Like they say, the best defense to bad reviews is good reviews.

Thanks for the suggestions always good stuff from you.

Seriously you know anyone who casts the other kind of spells? I am in the market.

I see your answer to the question about revisions:

Yes, if I make a mistake, I will fix it for free, however requests to adjust tone, inflection, tempo or script changes are not considered mistakes, and do not qualify for free revisions. Those type of revisions will be charged at the normal rate. Check your script & include any pronunciations.

After that first sentence, I would say

I do offer an extra for one revision to adjust something which you can order after you receive your delivery if you need to.

That will point them to the possibility to get the extra in advance of ordering.

I see your answer to the question about revisions:

Yes, if I make a mistake, I will fix it for free, however requests to adjust tone, inflection, tempo or script changes are not considered mistakes, and do not qualify for free revisions. Those type of revisions will be charged at the normal rate. Check your script & include any pronunciations.

After that first sentence, I would say

I do offer an extra for one revision to adjust something which you can order after you receive your delivery if you need to.

That will point them to the possibility to get the extra in advance of ordering.

I am tempted to send him a selfie with me still holding his $20. Big grin of course, but that would be wrong. (Wouldn’t it)?

Ah I see… no I meant put petty. But didn’t mean it to be insulting, quite the opposite. I meant it more as a “well played” kind of thing XD I guess some mod had a quota to meet.

I meant it more as a “well played” kind of thing XD I guess some mod had a quota to meet.

Maybe shrewd instead of petty?

Archived