Too many inexperienced sellers posting tips

I’m not so much “mad” as I am simply confused and slightly angry at all these new and completely in experienced sellers posting lists of “tips” in the “Tips for Sellers” section.

Just from looking at the most recent for the category out of 15 posts, 7 are from sellers who have not even reached level one.

This makes me slightly angry, because new sellers who genuinely want information and tips are getting it from inexperienced sources, and the good posts on there are getting obscured. I have a nagging hunch these new sellers think posting there will get them more sales, but news flash sellers on fiverr are not looking to buy your product 95% of the time

And that’s not to mention the comments, dozens of “good tips!” and “thank you!” 's that don’t build on that discussion, enrich the community, or add anything to the conversation. One of the admins here, fonthaunt, did a social experiment to prove how these people commenting don’t even read the post.

Suffice to say, I really wish the Fiverr community could be distilled to the amazing roots that I’ve seen and know it has. But it is what it is I guess.

Agreed, but I tend to like reading those tips. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:
That experimental post fonthaunt did was really proof that it’s a selfish world.

All those “good tips!” and “thank you!” ‘s are for one purpose and one purpose only. They selfishly think it gets ‘eyeballs’ on their Gigs.

It’s funny, one of the tips to attract more people to your profile is to post tips on the forum so you can stand out. The “be helpful and friendly so people will want to hire you no matter if they need your service or not” static. They aren’t worth reading unless for entertaining. Most of the good tips are copy paste, the clumsy ones, well are all bad.

It kind of does the opposite to me. I don’t think I’ll choose any of those arrogant sellers.

ps: posting tips isn’t arrogant. Posting tips when you know nothing about the topic, and your purpose is not to help others but to make you stand out is arrogant.

I don’t think I’ve ever given tips to sellers here. I am not so arrogant to believe that I have cracked the Fiverr code. I am struggling here, just like everybody else. I would rather talk about football, politics, the traffic in Bangalore etc. :slight_smile:

Where have you seen a Tip about posting on the forum to get views? I’m not being sarcastic, I just haven’t seen that written anywhere but an occasional off-Fiverr blog from 2012-13. I think these people do think they will get views and they ignore everyone telling them that silly or copycat posts make them look terrible.

One of the much-discussed ideas is to allow reading but not writing in Tips for Sellers ONLY unless someone is at least level 1 or 2. I love the idea and have submitted it to Customer Support for consideration. It can’t be done in other categories because some forum users are buyers-only with experience but no levels. Feel free to send your own ideas in to CS whether it’s this one or another. Many of those poor tip posts are plagiarized or just nonsense and take up moderation time as well.

I think that could be the first source, then people copy paste those very same tips on Fiverr forum. I do remember reading it both on and off Fiverr, but not recently because I haven’t been on the forum for awhile.

I also remember seeing people practice these tips right here on the forum with a bit more cleverness: giving tips that you should bend over to each and every demand the buyers give you, literally advising others to sell themselves for pennies. When other sellers disagreed, and honestly give them tips to be a good seller but not a slave, they continued saying stuffs like “but buyers pay your meals so you have to do everything to satisfy them”. (yes, not these exact words but I did read something about meals)

I wonder if they realized the one who were reading that were sellers and not buyers, the supposed target readers they were searching for.

To be fair, I believe the person who first come up with that tip didn’t mean to tell people to be a brainless robot running wild, but to be active, interact with others so that everybody know who they are and what they’re doing, and that brings more opportunity.

I can’t help but feel that might cause some outrage from new sellers! Mind you, it might stop nonsense like that latest one about “stylishly compelling” buyers to give you a 5-star review. From someone who has been on Fiverr for less than a week and has made one sale.

Really?

And ditto the “great post thanks” people. Jesus Christ.

The ones who ask how to get their first sale could be told to post some tips by an automatic message. The words “first sale” or the words “make sells” could trigger it.

I’m tired of all the pleas for help getting a first sale.