Tools you need before you Start your Writing Service

skpatra

I take serious issue with #1, and some with #2. If someone isn’t fluent in English, it’s dishonest to pass oneself off as an English writer to non-native English speakers. This means that the buyer will have no way of assessing the quality of the work, and that he/she may be accepting work with grammar issues and other mistakes, without even realizing it.

The biggest issue here is #1. What kind of writer needs to double-check his/her work for plagiarism? A writer who is cheating and not producing their own content, that’s who.

If you’re presenting yourself on Fiverr as a professional English writer, you had better be 1.) fluent enough that you don’t need software to double-check yourself, as a self-proclaimed writer, but most importantly, 2.) you should not be passing off the re-worked material of someone else as your own original content. This is dishonest, unethical, and most certainly against Fiverr’s TOS.

I disagree that those are the “tools” necessary for a writer to take his/her service to the next level. Here are the tools I suggest instead:

1. Fluency in advertised language of writing
  2. Ability to write - and at the very least, the integrity not to use someone else’s material
  3. Word processing software.

I agree with @david388 on most of these points include the 3 points at the end. I especially agree that if English is not your first language, just be clear about it. Some buyers may not care if they get a bargain with some rough English that has their keywords. If they think they are buying native English, though, that’s false advertising.

I actually do check my own original work with Copyscape. Obviously I know that it’s not plagiarized because I wrote it. The reason I check it is that I have a few decades (shhh) of junk stored in my brain and like many writers I read tons of books, web and print articles, novels, etc. It is not abnormal to absorb content that you’ve read and automatically use it when you are writing.

Most of the time you write it with enough of your own style and the other content stored in your brain and it’s passes Copyscape at least by 90%. Once in a while, though, you’ll write something original that has just a bit more similarity and a buyer can use that to claim that you’ve stolen the content when you truly have not. Copyscape gives me peace of mind, since most of my work get 100% original and I can screenshot that and deliver it to the buyer with the order.

To @skpatra I will make only one other point. Your post is OK advice. When writing a post about writing, though, make it as professional as you would a delivery to a client. Not doing so may cause you to lose a sale if a potential buyer reads your posting. Using textspeak like “u” instead of “you” can really hurt you if you use it on forums, on your own sites/blogs or certainly in your deliveries. I make typos in forums all the time and if I catch them, I correct them. I don’t always catch them. Writing badly on purpose is different.

To @david388

If you want to turn your writing talent into a part or full-time career,

Your actual methods need to be tailored to suit your needs.

If you write for more than one genre or type of outlet, (such as novels, and short stories) you may need separate systems for each.

Finding a happy balance means avoiding chaos and confusion on one hand (because you can’t find important information), versus being bogged down by excessive and unnecessary systems on the other.

These are the basics tools for me, as a freelance article writer.

Even, Most successful writers on web use Copyscape to test their phrases to pass in the eye of search bots/ search engine!! So David, why serious with Copyscape??

# Grammar Check: No human being is 100% perfect. Being over confident leads to deterioration of productive output. So even the writing of a professional journalist is being passed through a review of senior editors!! So what's wrong with a freelance writer for using a Tool like Grammar check!!

Your needs will probably evolve over time, so establish some basic systems to get you started, and develop more as required. Ask yourself: What will help you most?

Reply to @david388:

If you want to turn your writing talent into a part or full-time career,

Your actual methods need to be tailored to suit your needs.

If you write for more than one genre or type of outlet, (such as novels, and short stories) you may need separate systems for each.

Finding a happy balance means avoiding chaos and confusion on one hand (because you can’t find important information), versus being bogged down by excessive and unnecessary systems on the other.

These are the basics tools for me, as a freelance article writer.

Even, Most successful writers on web use Copyscape to test their phrases to pass in the eye of search bots/ search engine!! So David, why serious with Copyscape??

# Grammar Check: No human being is 100% perfect. Being over confident leads to deterioration of productive output. So even the writing of a professional journalist is being passed through a review of senior editors!! So what's wrong with a freelance writer for using a Tool like Grammar check!!

Your needs will probably evolve over time, so establish some basic systems to get you started, and develop more as required. Ask yourself: What will help you most?

Reply to @skpatra:

No need to double-post the identical message twice in this discussion board.

Once again, I stand 100% by my earlier comment. I write extensively and copyedit here on Fiverr as well. The only time I EVER use grammar-checking software (such as Grammarly) is to scan large amounts of text from my clients and to quickly mark the areas that need the most focus from me. This software generally only catches phrases that are very wordy (why it’s useful for me to quickly scan a client’s document), and major, major issues with grammar.

If you’re constantly needing this to check your own work, then once again, I question the merit of advertising yourself as a professional writer. CASE IN POINT: as @fonthaunt pointed out with your initial post, again there are a number of serious grammatical issues in the response YOU typed above. I’m not sharing these thoughts to be mean or snarky. This a serious issue of integrity and I’m incredibly passionate about it.

The same holds true for software like Copyscape. I do not borrow and rework already-written content, and I don’t use Copyscape. I recognize that it may occasionally be useful for web-destined content, but again - if you’re advertising yourself as a professional writer, the items you’ve mentioned should not be the major tools you need to accomplish your work. The tools should be your brain and your computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived