Top 5 Tips to Protect Yourself from Badly Behaved Buyers

coerdelion

Though tip 3 assumes each person ordering the gig or gig package wants roughly the same amount of work. But the amount of work required might vary a lot depending on the project, like in the amount of manual work (eg. maybe 5 mouse clicks vs thousands) or amount time required in render time/upload time etc.

So for projects that are on the low end of the amount of work required (eg. they want something simple to do) in that package it might be worth offering a lower quote, because Fiverr doesn’t give that much scope for building in the exact amount of work required for the project into each gig/package.

Another good one, Coerd. Thanks!

Offering unlimited revisions “chains you to the buyers who have bought from you for the rest of your life”. That line alone should scare the crap out of people who currently offer this.

I KNOW RIGHT… But unlimited revisions also gives you more chances to get the work… What’s the solution???

I KNOW RIGHT… But unlimited revisions also gives you more chances to get the work… What’s the solution???

But unlimited revisions also gives you more chances to get the work…

And also headaches, stress, despair and an endless list of issues, including scammers and abusive buyers.

What’s the solution???

DON’T offer unlimited revisions. Period!

And also headaches, stress, despair and an endless list of issues, including scammers and abusive buyers.

What’s the solution???

As I’ve always said on here, unlimited revisions = unlimited headaches.

But unlimited revisions also gives you more chances to get the work

Can you prove this statement?

I speak from my own experience and from a buyer’s point of view. I would feel more secure to order to a seller who offers unlimited revision. From my seller experience, I can say it works because I’ve been here on Fiverr for two weeks and already received few orders. Fortunately, I haven’t met a buyer who took advantage of it. Obviously, if ever I will grow my profile here on Fiverr, I will change that. But I’m talking as a new seller. 😉

I speak from my own experience and from a buyer’s point of view. I would feel more secure to order to a seller who offers unlimited revision. From my seller experience, I can say it works because I’ve been here on Fiverr for two weeks and already received few orders. Fortunately, I haven’t met a buyer who took advantage of it. Obviously, if ever I will grow my profile here on Fiverr, I will change that. But I’m talking as a new seller. 😉

yes you are all most right. all of buyer’s want unlimited revision. thank you for your suggest

On 9/18/2020 at 3:36 AM, mamun_jely said:

yes you are all most right. all of buyer’s want unlimited revision. thank you for your suggest

No, not all buyers want unlimited revisions.

As a seller, I don’t offer revisions as part of my gigs at all, and I’m getting enough orders. I only offer revisions in custom offers if a buyer expressly asks for it. Guess how often that happened in over 3 years? 1 time. Else, I customise my revision policy individually to each buyer/order, if needed.

When I’m looking to buy/buying gigs, “unlimited revisions” tend to make me wary, and nowadays, I wouldn’t buy from a seller who offers them, unless I really wanted that gig bad and it was unique enough to not have competition.

Depends on the buyers you get/want. There is no “all buyers” in such matters, they are individuals, like sellers too 😉

On 9/18/2020 at 5:02 AM, mjaninea said:

From my seller experience, I can say it works because I’ve been here on Fiverr for two weeks and already received few orders. Fortunately, I haven’t met a buyer who took advantage of it.

Though none of your gigs actually have the number of revisions set to “unlimited” (even though it says it in some of the gig descriptions). So just above where the buyer clicks to “continue” to order, they see a fixed number of revisions. So that’s probably why none of them have used unlimited revisions on your gigs. Also you shouldn’t really say “unlimited revisions” in the description if in every package it gives a fixed number of revisions.

Even if having unlimited revisions in one of the packages for gigs with packages did help with orders for gigs with packages (it doesn’t seem to be the best for those without packages) it doesn’t mean it will help get the most profit/revenue for the amount of work done. There are likely lots of other things you could do to get more orders/revenue than offering unlimited revisions. It would also likely be more profitable to be working on a new order than on the 30th revision for an existing order.

From my seller experience, I can say it works because I’ve been here on Fiverr for two weeks and already received few orders. Fortunately, I haven’t met a buyer who took advantage of it.

Though none of your gigs actually have the number of revisions set to “unlimited” (even though it says it in some of the gig descriptions). So just above where the buyer clicks to “continue” to order, they see a fixed number of revisions. So that’s probably why none of them have used unlimited revisions on your gigs. Also you shouldn’t really say “unlimited revisions” in the description if in every package it gives a fixed number of revisions.

Even if having unlimited revisions in one of the packages for gigs with packages did help with orders for gigs with packages (it doesn’t seem to be the best for those without packages) it doesn’t mean it will help get the most profit/revenue for the amount of work done. There are likely lots of other things you could do to get more orders/revenue than offering unlimited revisions. It would also likely be more profitable to be working on a new order than on the 30th revision for an existing order.

FYI, I am changing that, because as I said earlier, as you grow your profile, you can start decreasing the number of revisions as you earn trust from buyers and get more experience. I haven’t changed that yet in the descriptions, that’s why you see that 😉

@mushfiq_ayon - you have just joined Fiverr this month and have no reviews on your profile. Also your reading time here is 19 minutes - admittedly longer than many newbies!

I understand that the “gurus” on youtube advise unlimited revisions to get orders, but I assure you that the only buyers that attracts are the predators. Don’t believe it? Do a search using the box above for “buyers asking for revisions” and you’ll see how very badly that turns out.

Don’t offer unlimited revisions. If you must offer any revisions at all, choose less than 10 and define what that means in your description and buyer requirements.

On 9/18/2020 at 5:19 AM, misscrystal said:

I did two backflips when I saw your new tips!

Very definitely OT

Summary

Hi MissC - missed you during your quiet time here. Welcome back.

I speak from my own experience and from a buyer’s point of view.

Hello, @mjaninea,

I see you said you have been on Fiverr for two weeks. I have been on Fiverr as a seller and a buyer for three years. @gina_riley2 has been here for close to 5 years.

In her five years here, Gina has been a prolific buyer exclusively. Gina has purchased hundreds if not thousands of gigs on Fiver alone. Therefore, it would be interesting to hear of her experience with buyers who have unlimited revisions. :thinking:

As for me, as a buyer, I avoid sellers who offer unlimited revisions. To me, it says I am not confident enough in my work to get it done the first time correctly, so I need to offer unlimited revisions. 🧐

As a seller, I remember back when I was a newish seller and depended on Buyer Requests for orders; I made an offer on a request for proofreading. The buyer contacted me and said he had read my profile, looked at my proposal, and was ready to place an order, but he wanted unlimited revisions. 🤨

I told the buyer that my work was so good I did not offer revision, but I would give him one with his order. That was three years ago. That buyer still orders from me often. 😊

So, it may be best if you hung around the Fiverr Forum and gained some experience on what experienced sellers here feel works best and what does not work. Like @miiila I do not offer any revisions.

That does not mean I do not provide corrections if needed for something small, and the error was mine. Otherwise, I would charge $5 per revision. Well, that is my plan; I have never been asked for one.

Good information for new sellers. Just because you’re new to the platform doesn’t mean you should let yourself get taken advantage of.

Be patient, professional, polite, provide great customer service, and be consistent, and your reputation will reap the benefits.

That means you can still be patient, professional and polite and still be firm with what you’re offering in your gigs.

You can offer reasonable revisions without opening the door for shady people to take advantage of you for weeks or months after a sale has been marked as complete. You can even offer unlimited revisions if you’re dead set on it, just add in your FAQ’s or gig description that any revisions after the order has been marked complete will necessitate placing a new order. I would still recommend protecting yourself, and this is coming from someone who’s pretty liberal with revisions. 😉

For those who try to haggle your price down with the promise of future orders, you can always offer bulk rates for orders placed after the initial order is complete.

Definitely read the ToS and familiarize yourself with them. There are things in there that very specifically protect us as sellers from buyers who try to take advantage of us.

Standing up for yourself helps everyone. 😉

I speak from my own experience and from a buyer’s point of view.

Hello, @mjaninea,

I see you said you have been on Fiverr for two weeks. I have been on Fiverr as a seller and a buyer for three years. @gina_riley2 has been here for close to 5 years.

In her five years here, Gina has been a prolific buyer exclusively. Gina has purchased hundreds if not thousands of gigs on Fiver alone. Therefore, it would be interesting to hear of her experience with buyers who have unlimited revisions. :thinking:

As for me, as a buyer, I avoid sellers who offer unlimited revisions. To me, it says I am not confident enough in my work to get it done the first time correctly, so I need to offer unlimited revisions. 🧐

As a seller, I remember back when I was a newish seller and depended on Buyer Requests for orders; I made an offer on a request for proofreading. The buyer contacted me and said he had read my profile, looked at my proposal, and was ready to place an order, but he wanted unlimited revisions. 🤨

I told the buyer that my work was so good I did not offer revision, but I would give him one with his order. That was three years ago. That buyer still orders from me often. 😊

So, it may be best if you hung around the Fiverr Forum and gained some experience on what experienced sellers here feel works best and what does not work. Like @miiila I do not offer any revisions.

That does not mean I do not provide corrections if needed for something small, and the error was mine. Otherwise, I would charge $5 per revision. Well, that is my plan; I have never been asked for one.

Seriously guys, can people be free of expressing their own experience, opinions and thoughts? I purposely mentioned that I have been here on Fiverr for two weeks, so that whoever reads my opinion, would take it in the right way and not as an advice from an old seller or Fiverr guru. Again, I am just sharing my thoughts from what I have experienced and learned from my two weeks. And again, I never said you should offer unlimited revisions FOREVER, I only said that it helped me as a NEW SELLER to get my first orders.

Having said that, I appreciate reading and learning from your experiences and I thank you for that. But if unlimited revisions helped me in the first stages here on Fiverr, I can’t deny that.

🙂

On 9/21/2020 at 2:38 AM, mjaninea said:

Seriously guys, can people be free of expressing their own experience, opinions and thoughts?

I don’t think anyone is preventing you from doing so. They are simply disagreeing with you, which is also them “expressing their own experience, opinions, and thoughts.”

As a buyer with hundreds of purchases on Fiverr, I have never looked for someone who offered unlimited revisions. If someone is looking for a seller who offers that, chances are that they know that they will need it because they are demanding and difficult to work with. Do you really want to attract buyers like that?

Like you, I also offered unlimited revisions for the longest time out of a genuine desire to satisfy my clients. I never had any issues, but reading this forum made me rethink my approach. At one point, you will most likely get a client who will attempt to abuse it. You can be stuck delivering revisions for all of eternity. That is how it works. In my opinion, it is simply gambling with your Fiverr career and your mental health.

Also, no one ever expressed that they chose me because of my revisions.

• 3 weeks later...

What can you do if a buyer spams you and the block feature is not working? I was unable to block this person from desktop, they put in a false order (which will impact my cancel rates), and now when I try to block from the app it says there’s an error. Any help is appreciated!

Archived