ToS Update October 2017

miiila

Last update: October 2017

I was searching the ToS for something and noticed that the update date got updated, so in case you haven´t read them recently, you might want to, in case there were any changes new/relevant to you. I hadn´t yet seen, or noticed, the paragraph on Pro Sellers before, for instance.

If you haven´t read them at all up to now, now is exactly the right moment to do it. 📑

favicon.icoFiverr.com fiverr-logo-new-green-9e65bddddfd33dfcf7e06fc1e51a5bc5.png

Fiverr's Terms of Service

One marketplace, millions of professional services. Browse. Buy. Done.

I just wish there was a document outlining the new changes since the last update, similar to how other big names out there do, (e.g. PayPal, Yahoo, Google, etc.) 😕

I mean, I’ve kept reading the ToS for the last 7 years, why make me re-read them again and again on the smallest, barely visible changes?

You know what? I’m going to save the page, and on the next update I’ll save it again then compare them :crazy_face:

I had wanted to do that at the last 2 updates I had noticed and copy-pasted them into a Word doc, but often I have several temporary docs open and before shutting down my laptop close a lot of those without saving, so they might be gone. Also, I hate searching files. I´ll have a look later, though, in case it´s still there.

Not that it matters much, though, still would have to read it all to know what changed…though I guess someone with enough energy to do that, could take it upon himself to compare and highlight the changes for the other forumites, go ahead, Woofy! 😛

I had wanted to do that at the last 2 updates I had noticed and copy-pasted them into a Word doc, but often I have several temporary docs open and before shutting down my laptop close a lot of those without saving, so they might be gone. Also, I hate searching files. I´ll have a look later, though, in case it´s still there.

Not that it matters much, though, still would have to read it all to know what changed…though I guess someone with enough energy to do that, could take it upon himself to compare and highlight the changes for the other forumites, go ahead, Woofy! 😛

You could look on archive.org for the terms of service page (though you’d have to ignore all of the September archives because they aren’t included properly because of Fiverr’s bot checker).

Maybe there’s software that can identify the differences between the versions.

You could look on archive.org for the terms of service page (though you’d have to ignore all of the September archives because they aren’t included properly because of Fiverr’s bot checker).

Maybe there’s software that can identify the differences between the versions.

Good idea, but I think I´ll just make sure to save it this time and then compare the next time…or, still better, wait for Woofy doing it. 😉

Good idea, but I think I´ll just make sure to save it this time and then compare the next time…or, still better, wait for Woofy doing it. 😉

or, still better, wait for Woofy doing it. 😉

Here you go good people - besides some capitalization changes, I see 2 changes since the last June Update based on the Google-cached version of the ToS since a few days ago, and these are on milestones as @catwriter said (btw @miiila, the June update of the ToS already had the PRO sellers)

“Revenues are only made available for withdrawal from the Revenue page following a safety clearance period of 14 days after the order (or milestone) is marked as complete.”

“Completed orders (or, where applicable, completed milestones) may be cancelled, upon review of our Customer Support team, up to 14 days after the order is marked as complete.”

P.S. the underlined parts are the only new changes since the June ToS update

Here you go good people - besides some capitalization changes, I see 2 changes since the last June Update based on the Google-cached version of the ToS since a few days ago, and these are on milestones as @catwriter said (btw @miiila, the June update of the ToS already had the PRO sellers)

“Revenues are only made available for withdrawal from the Revenue page following a safety clearance period of 14 days after the order (or milestone) is marked as complete.”

“Completed orders (or, where applicable, completed milestones) may be cancelled, upon review of our Customer Support team, up to 14 days after the order is marked as complete.”

Actually, there’s more than you found:

"Seller Features

Fiverr sellers have access to several exclusive features that help customize the way their services can be offered.

Custom Offer

Sellers can also send Custom Offers addressing specific requirements of a buyer.

Custom Offers are defined by the seller with the exact description of the service, the price and the time expected to deliver the service.

Custom Offers are sent from the conversation page.

Services provided through Custom Offers may not violate Fiverr’s Terms of Service.

Project Milestones:

Custom Offers above $100 may include up to three project milestones. Each milestone is paid and delivered separately in accordance with each Custom Offer’s description and timelines.

A milestone is marked as Complete after it is delivered by the seller and then accepted by the buyer. A milestone will be automatically marked as complete if no acceptance or request for modification were submitted within 5 days after marked as Delivered, however, in such case the order will be stopped and all further milestones will be cancelled.

Once a milestone is delivered, Buyers may choose to either continue with the order and pay for the next milestone, or to stop the order. Please note that if you choose to stop the order, the current delivered milestone will not be cancelled."

btw @miiila, the June update of the ToS already had the PRO sellers

Thanks for calling me out…but…I know, that just was to make people feel better who didn´t read the ToS in ages. 😛

within 5 days after marked as Delivered

Oh that´s interesting, I hope that doesn´t mean that the next update will have 5 days for autocompletion generally.

btw @miiila, the June update of the ToS already had the PRO sellers

Thanks for calling me out…but…I know, that just was to make people feel better who didn´t read the ToS in ages. 😛

within 5 days after marked as Delivered

Oh that´s interesting, I hope that doesn´t mean that the next update will have 5 days for autocompletion generally.

Feeling ashamed of myself now 😬

@catwriter woah - why were those not in my version of today’s terms page? 😲 I can see that now, but… it wasn’t there. Are we witnessing the live editing of the ToS? 👀

These are new additions:

"Buyers who abuse the Request Revisions button to gain more services from sellers beyond the agreed requirements.

Buyers who threaten to leave a damaging review to gain more services from the seller not related to the agreed requirements."

And they NOW allow refunds back to your payment point rather than Fiverr (but only a limited number of times)

“Deposit refunds, when available from the payment provider, can be performed by our Customer Support team. To prevent fraud and abuse, we limit the total amount of times users can request a payment provider refund from their account which is subject to review by our Customer Support team. Such refunds may be subject to an additional fee. If any processing fees were added at the time of purchase to create a new order, the processing fees from that payment will not be refunded along with your deposit.”

It also states (I don’t know if this was there before) this. If there is a complaint that the gig was not delivered correctly, the customer service team will decide if it was BASED upon the information. Before this, I would only need to have given a screenshot of the content and that was it. Now, this is stupid. If customer support won’t rule on the subjectivity of a feedback, they should not rule on the subjectivy of what was delivered.

“Subjectivity of the materials in question will be reviewed by our Customer Support team.”

Actually, there’s more than you found:

"Seller Features

Fiverr sellers have access to several exclusive features that help customize the way their services can be offered.

Custom Offer

Sellers can also send Custom Offers addressing specific requirements of a buyer.

Custom Offers are defined by the seller with the exact description of the service, the price and the time expected to deliver the service.

Custom Offers are sent from the conversation page.

Services provided through Custom Offers may not violate Fiverr’s Terms of Service.

Project Milestones:

Custom Offers above $100 may include up to three project milestones. Each milestone is paid and delivered separately in accordance with each Custom Offer’s description and timelines.

A milestone is marked as Complete after it is delivered by the seller and then accepted by the buyer. A milestone will be automatically marked as complete if no acceptance or request for modification were submitted within 5 days after marked as Delivered, however, in such case the order will be stopped and all further milestones will be cancelled.

Once a milestone is delivered, Buyers may choose to either continue with the order and pay for the next milestone, or to stop the order. Please note that if you choose to stop the order, the current delivered milestone will not be cancelled."

Each milestone is paid and delivered separately

I can see this opening a whole new can of worms. What if you get the first two milestones for your new website but the third one doesn’t materialize?

Each milestone is paid and delivered separately

I can see this opening a whole new can of worms. What if you get the first two milestones for your new website but the third one doesn’t materialize?

What if you get the first two milestones for your new website but the third one doesn’t materialize?

Then you only pay for the first two, I guess.

These are new additions:

"Buyers who abuse the Request Revisions button to gain more services from sellers beyond the agreed requirements.

Buyers who threaten to leave a damaging review to gain more services from the seller not related to the agreed requirements."

And they NOW allow refunds back to your payment point rather than Fiverr (but only a limited number of times)

“Deposit refunds, when available from the payment provider, can be performed by our Customer Support team. To prevent fraud and abuse, we limit the total amount of times users can request a payment provider refund from their account which is subject to review by our Customer Support team. Such refunds may be subject to an additional fee. If any processing fees were added at the time of purchase to create a new order, the processing fees from that payment will not be refunded along with your deposit.”

It also states (I don’t know if this was there before) this. If there is a complaint that the gig was not delivered correctly, the customer service team will decide if it was BASED upon the information. Before this, I would only need to have given a screenshot of the content and that was it. Now, this is stupid. If customer support won’t rule on the subjectivity of a feedback, they should not rule on the subjectivy of what was delivered.

“Subjectivity of the materials in question will be reviewed by our Customer Support team.”

These are new additions:

…Deposit refunds, when available from the payment provider, can be performed by our Customer Support team…

Those were in the terms of service last updated “June 2017” according to the web archive (August snapshot).

Then you only pay for the first two, I guess.

Yes but the site wouldn’t be complete and working if it’s only 2/3 finished.

He could get another seller to do the remainder of the job. Maybe using the money he would have paid the original seller to do the last milestone.

He could get another seller to do the remainder of the job. Maybe using the money he would have paid the original seller to do the last milestone.

But he wouldn’t get a refund, he would only get 2/3 of a site and have paid for 2/3 of it. It would be useless and another programmer would want more to figure it out, if it was even possible. It could be such a bad job of the first two thirds that it would never be a site that could even work.

I think the payment, at least for a website, should be for the entire site all at once so that if the site is not functional, the seller does not get anything.

But he wouldn’t get a refund, he would only get 2/3 of a site and have paid for 2/3 of it. It would be useless and another programmer would want more to figure it out, if it was even possible. It could be such a bad job of the first two thirds that it would never be a site that could even work.

I think the payment, at least for a website, should be for the entire site all at once so that if the site is not functional, the seller does not get anything.

At first I thought they’d get a refund for the last bit, then I remembered that each milestone is paid for separately according to the TOS: “Each milestone is paid and delivered separately”.

It would be useless and another programmer would want more to figure it out, if it was even possible. It could be such a bad job of the first two thirds that it would never be a site that could even work.

Though if the original seller did such a bad job of the 1st 2 milestones, the buyer shouldn’t really have accepted those milestones as being complete. Though it would be more time and effort for the buyer to go and find another seller (eg. directly or through buyer requests) to complete the job.

edit: changed “buyer” to “seller”

At first I thought they’d get a refund for the last bit, then I remembered that each milestone is paid for separately according to the TOS: “Each milestone is paid and delivered separately”.

That could work in a scammer’s favor in the case of building a website and having no intention of completing it successfully and being happy to get 2/3 of the total amount, leaving no functional site.

Milestones are optional. If you (I don’t mean you specifically, I mean any buyer) don’t want to accept a custom offer with milestones, ask for one without them.

That could work in a scammer’s favor in the case of building a website and having no intention of completing it successfully and being happy to get 2/3 of the total amount, leaving no functional site.

I agree that it could (in theory) lead to sellers splitting an offer into milestones where they know they can definitely do (or only intend to do) some of the milestones but not others. Maybe Fiverr could put in a check for things like that (unless it already does) so that sellers who complete all milestones go to a higher level/appear higher in the search than those that only complete some of their milestones. Though they might (likely?) be rated lower by the buyer if they failed to deliver on all milestones so the system might already take care of that - unless buyers can’t rate orders where only some of the milestones were delivered (which might be the case).

Archived