TOS violation on staying in touch with clients

willstauff

friend.jpg.76fb1ce7151680d292844ae32c67caf2.jpg

Got this message from a friend of mine in one of my facebook groups discussing the “Contacts” feature
on Fiverr. If it’s against the TOS to offer existing clients services, what exactly is the purpose of the “Contacts” section where it shows all your existing customers and a feature where you can click a button that Fiverr provides to “Send an Offer”??? Perhaps that button should say “Send an Offer if you’d like a TOS Violation Warning”

TOS is very clear about it:

Phishing and Spam - Fiverr takes the matter its members’ security seriously. Any attempts to publish or send malicious content with the intent to compromise another member’s account or computer environment is strictly prohibited. Please respect our members privacy by not contacting them with offers, questions, suggestions or anything which is not directly related to their Gigs or orders.

If an old client wants to order, they will order. No need to spam them. Would you like your store clerk to come by your house and ask you if you need milk and eggs today? I wouldn’t.

If something they did right, is this Spam killing. I found so annoying people that spam old clients. If I want to order, I can figure it out myself, tyvm. 🙂

It doesn’t seem to make sense when the ToS says something the complete opposite to the help centre.

Great communication with buyers plays a huge role in a seller’s success on Fiverr. But as sellers grow their businesses on Fiverr, they sometimes lose touch with or forget to maintain relationships with buyers who have purchased from them in the past.

https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/keep-in-touch-with-buyers-with-the-my-contacts-tool

I’ve thought about reaching out to a client of mine who is no longer working me due to personal reasons. It’s not because of me at all. In our last communication, he said his mother wasn’t doing well and I wanted to touch base with him to find out how she was doing. However, I’m hesitant to do so because of the violation issue. I’m not going to spam him with my services. I really am just wondering how his mother is doing. He talked about her often, so I have no reason to think he’s lying to me.

I’ve debated about asking CS about it as well. There’s nothing in it for me other than to make sure she’s doing well as he is. He was a great client, and always telling me I was selling myself short. He often paid much more than he should have for his articles, but he told me it was because that’s what I was worth. He’s never filed a chargeback and, in the last order, sent a tip to boot.

I’ve thought about reaching out to a client of mine who is no longer working me due to personal reasons. It’s not because of me at all. In our last communication, he said his mother wasn’t doing well and I wanted to touch base with him to find out how she was doing. However, I’m hesitant to do so because of the violation issue. I’m not going to spam him with my services. I really am just wondering how his mother is doing. He talked about her often, so I have no reason to think he’s lying to me.

I’ve debated about asking CS about it as well. There’s nothing in it for me other than to make sure she’s doing well as he is. He was a great client, and always telling me I was selling myself short. He often paid much more than he should have for his articles, but he told me it was because that’s what I was worth. He’s never filed a chargeback and, in the last order, sent a tip to boot.

I have clients I feel friendly with also but know I can’t reach out to them. Reaching out is a one way street: buyers can do it but sellers cannot.

They really do need to remove that article that encourages spamming previous clients.

There is a disconnect between the rules, and the articles and features on the site.

I agree with you guys that there are times when keeping in touch is something really good, when it’s not made in the purpose of how can I make him buy again. Ofc, in some cases, we can develop a real friendship with the buyer.

Unfortunately, rules at Fiverr are very blunt and therefore, we shouldn’t risk it and get flagged or something.

At least we can get contacted at any time. 👍

Phishing and Spam - Fiverr takes the matter its members’ security seriously. Any attempts to publish or send malicious content with the intent to compromise another member’s account or computer environment is strictly prohibited. Please respect our members privacy by not contacting them with offers, questions, suggestions or anything which is not directly related to their Gigs or orders.

If an old client wants to order, they will order. No need to spam them. Would you like your store clerk to come by your house and ask you if you need milk and eggs today? I wouldn’t.

If something they did right, is this Spam killing. I found so annoying people that spam old clients. If I want to order, I can figure it out myself, tyvm. 🙂

Nobody has addressed my question, well if TOS is very clear, then why does Fiverr have a “Contacts” section on Fiverr for sellers that gives them the option to “Send an Offer”

Capture.JPG.e03300e0fa383afdd60d2e0b425bdc92.JPG

Nobody has addressed my question, well if TOS is very clear, then why does Fiverr have a “Contacts” section on Fiverr for sellers that gives them the option to “Send an Offer”

We can’t provide an answer that we don’t have knowledge about.

You are talking with the wrong people here. There are a lot of things that aren’t how they are supposed to be on this platform, and nobody here has the answers. I guess this can be answered by the CS team, if you want to take this shot. 🙂

friend

Got this message from a friend of mine in one of my facebook groups discussing the “Contacts” feature

on Fiverr. If it’s against the TOS to offer existing clients services, what exactly is the purpose of the “Contacts” section where it shows all your existing customers and a feature where you can click a button that Fiverr provides to “Send an Offer”??? Perhaps that button should say “Send an Offer if you’d like a TOS Violation Warning”

If it’s against the TOS to offer existing clients services, what exactly is the purpose of the “Contacts” section where it shows all your existing customers and a feature where you can click a button that Fiverr provides to “Send an Offer”???

I didn’t ever really notice that button, I can’t say I really ever look at the contact list either, though. But I could imagine the button is for a case like an agreement with a buyer that they’d like you to send an offer for a certain kind/amount of work every month or every other week or whatever. After all, it says “Send offer”, and not “Contact buyer”.

It doesn’t seem to make sense when the ToS says something the complete opposite to the help centre.

That Help Center article, however, should really be corrected/amended, I can see how it might make people send random offers or season’s greetings or even real spam “to maintain relationships”.

I did address your question when I said there is a disconnect between the rules and the features on the site. The site developers probably put that in before there was a rule against spamming previous buyers. To this day they might not be aware of that.

friend

“Send an Offer”??? Perhaps that button should say “Send an Offer if you’d like a TOS Violation Warning”

If buyers contact you and you both agree with the price and duration of the work to be completed.You can send them the offer so that they will pay and you start working on order.

The “Send Offer” button is for sending the custom offer to the client whenever they contacted you about the order and wants to get work done.

Let me know if I am correct or not!

Its possible that you contacted your recent buyers with the others gigs mentioning your services in there inbox.This is spamming because if buyers want to work with you they will contact you if you provide a good quality work.

Hope this might help you.

Have a nice day!

“Send an Offer”??? Perhaps that button should say “Send an Offer if you’d like a TOS Violation Warning”

If buyers contact you and you both agree with the price and duration of the work to be completed.You can send them the offer so that they will pay and you start working on order.

The “Send Offer” button is for sending the custom offer to the client whenever they contacted you about the order and wants to get work done.

Its possible that you contacted your recent buyers with the others gigs mentioning your services in there inbox.This is spamming because if buyers want to work with you they will contact you if you provide a good quality work.

Have a nice day!

That would happen via normal Fiverr messaging.

What the OP’s pointing out is the ‘send offer’ button beside each previous buyer’s details, which would make any seller assume that these previous buyers could be contacted, and an offer be sent to them. This and the article from the help centre encouraging sellers to keep in contact with previous buyers imply that it’s fine to do exactly that when the ToS say quite the opposite.

Hence the understandable confusion. 🙂

Have a nice day!

I’m specifically referring to the “Contacts” section under “More” on your tool bar tab. Have you been there yet? Sending offers after a buyer initially contacted you is easily handled within the normal course of your order page and messaging system when a buyer contacts you initially that happens during the day to day transactions.

The Buyer contact section is the complete list of orders and contacts that gives you the option that Fiverr provides to “Send an Offer” If there is a “Send an Offer” tab they are encouraging you to send a past buyer an offer.

I haven’t sent anything to anybody. So I have no clue what you are talking about when you say, “Is it possible you contacted your recent buyers…” This is an ongoing discussion in one of my facebook groups.

Here’s the problem and here’s what’s going on. Top rated sellers have time and time again have made articles on their successes and have openly shared with people what has worked for them to grow their business with the tools fiverr provides. That goes with podcasts too. There have been Podcasts that Fiverr sponsored that encourages you to service your existing client list. I’ve heard several of them. Fiverr in turn promotes these articles because it helps show the success stories from their platforms. Customer service continually updates at a breakneck speed new changes, new rules and new terms of service. New Sellers looking to help grow their business get help thru these articles and posts that are written. The majority of those rules limit what sellers can do and usually can’t do. Many of these rules are changing things that were applauded and celebrated in the past. The servicing previous clients is a perfect example. That feature is still on Fiverr. Go to “More” -->

–> “Contacts” and you will see what I mean.

Here’s the truth though, as a buyer if you do a search for services you will get an automatic email from Fiverr on a regular basis talking about specials, other gigs that are compatible to your search etc. But see, that’s not called spam though. That’s called follow up email marketing. So let’s be grown ups and stop calling every legitimate message sent “spam”.

So if you want to be successful on Fiverr, you must not take the advice of articles written on how to be successful on Fiverr and apply them. You should not listen to their sponsored podcasts either. You have to spend a lot more of that time and effort keeping up with the ever changing rules and regulations. You must be an expert at following this forum on a daily basis for the next rule change to come down unless you want to get a Term Of Service Warning for following the advice of articles written.

Does that same rule of thought apply to the emails you receive from Fiverr offering specials and showing other gigs that were similar to the ones you searched for? Is that spam too?

If it’s against the TOS to offer existing clients services, what exactly is the purpose of the “Contacts” section where it shows all your existing customers and a feature where you can click a button that Fiverr provides to “Send an Offer”???

I didn’t ever really notice that button, I can’t say I really ever look at the contact list either, though. But I could imagine the button is for a case like an agreement with a buyer that they’d like you to send an offer for a certain kind/amount of work every month or every other week or whatever. After all, it says “Send offer”, and not “Contact buyer”.

That Help Center article, however, should really be corrected/amended, I can see how it might make people send random offers or season’s greetings or even real spam “to maintain relationships”.

That Help Center article, however, should really be corrected/amended

that_would_be_great.jpg.0e572e6fb97080a4d79992b79d0f9cf8.jpg

Does that same rule of thought apply to the emails you receive from Fiverr offering specials and showing other gigs that were similar to the ones you searched for? Is that spam too?

Can you imagine if a good buyer on fiverr got “follow up emails” from all the sellers he has used? Can you imagine the constant messages he would be getting asking him to make another purchase?

I certainly don’t want that and I’m sure you don’t want to be getting messages like that either if you are a buyer.

The only issue is that there is that article encouraging what would be spamming your previous buyers, and the contacts section, although I never look at that, and it’s easy to ignore, so that really isn’t an issue.

That article could be replaced with a short notice not to send previous buyers messages asking in any way for another order.

That’s easy to mark as spam and have it blocked if you use gmail. It is legally allowed advertising from a company you have done previous business with. Fiverr has the right to make rules against anything it wants to on its site and this one makes a lot of sense.

Because Fiverr wants you to send offers AFTER a buyer contacts you, not before. Sending offers helps buyers make a decision instead of chatting nonstop.

Hi

Are you available?

I need to get a life

“I will give you a life for $10 and deliver in 3 days”

[buyer accepts offer]

That’s how it’s supposed to work.

“Hi

I’m the King of Photoshop, I’m can do logos, ads, x, y, z”

Is what gets reported as spam.

Because Fiverr wants you to send offers AFTER a buyer contacts you, not before. Sending offers helps buyers make a decision instead of chatting nonstop.

Hi

Are you available?

I need to get a life

“I will give you a life for $10 and deliver in 3 days”

[buyer accepts offer]

That’s how it’s supposed to work.

“Hi

I’m the King of Photoshop, I’m can do logos, ads, x, y, z”

Is what gets reported as spam.

The terms of service specifically say not contacting previous customers I don’t think anybody’s disagreeing that messaging random Byers is not spam

Can you imagine if a good buyer on fiverr got “follow up emails” from all the sellers he has used? Can you imagine the constant messages he would be getting asking him to make another purchase?

I certainly don’t want that and I’m sure you don’t want to be getting messages like that either if you are a buyer.

The only issue is that there is that article encouraging what would be spamming your previous buyers, and the contacts section, although I never look at that, and it’s easy to ignore, so that really isn’t an issue.

That article could be replaced with a short notice not to send previous buyers messages asking in any way for another order.

That’s easy to mark as spam and have it blocked if you use gmail. It is legally allowed advertising from a company you have done previous business with. Fiverr has the right to make rules against anything it wants to on its site and this one makes a lot of sense.

I bought stuff on Fiverr and I get Fiverrs promotional emails all the time how is that any different

You just said the magic word marked as spam

Archived