Translation Service from English to

gina_riley2

I am looking to have my book blurbs translated from English to various other languages. Unlike all the other services, the tips in hiring the right seller is tricky, to say the least. There is no way for me to evaluate their service - since I do not speak that language.

Lurking around the forum long enough, I’ve found a German translator that I am confident will do a great job, but the few Spanish speakers - well they happen to do anything/everything except translation. I am hoping to translate into six different languages.

Translating vs interpreting my writing, to make sense, are two completely different things. Anyone have any tips/advice on how to filter through the hundreds or thousands, in some cases, to find the right person who doesn’t use “Google Translate?”

Ja Ja, Oui Oui, Si Si.😊
(Deutch-French-Spanish).

Hi Gina!
(Secret Tip)-> Have a complex pargagraph translated by a professional of your choice. Then use google translate to translate it yourself. Then you utilize your 2 SAMPLES to figure out who is using Google translate and who is doing it right.

Ja Ja, Oui Oui, Si Si.😊

(Deutch-French-Spanish).

Hi Gina!

(Secret Tip)-> Have a complex pargagraph translated by a professional of your choice. Then use google translate to translate it yourself. Then you utilize your 2 SAMPLES to figure out who is using Google translate and who is doing it right.

Google Translate does a terrible job 😉 My advice would be to let another seller proofread the article if you are unsure.

Hi Gina 🙂

That´s not so easy actually. I had a customer who had been scammed by a ‘google translator’. More than one actually and unfortunately, but he had a German friend check the translation and found out quickly that way.

Best and easiest option would be, if you have friends or acquaintances who either are French/Spanish themselves – they’d most probably be able to tell if a translation was done by a native speaker, or at least sounds like it was, or are fluent enough with those languages to be able to at least tell you if it is a machine translation or was done by someone who definitely isn´t a native speaker or on native speaker level.

If you don´t know anyone, or only people you´d not like to ask, getting the opinion of another translator/proofreader might be the second best option indeed, I actually had someone in my inbox once asking for my opinion on a text that had been translated into German by someone, that method is a bit iffy though obviously, if you don´t know/trust the person you ask to check the translator’s work any more than the translator. 😉

Ja Ja, Oui Oui, Si Si.😊

(Deutch-French-Spanish).

Hi Gina!

@djgodknows: Is that your way of saying you are verse in four languages?

Hi Gina 🙂

That´s not so easy actually. I had a customer who had been scammed by a ‘google translator’. More than one actually and unfortunately, but he had a German friend check the translation and found out quickly that way.

Best and easiest option would be, if you have friends or acquaintances who either are French/Spanish themselves – they’d most probably be able to tell if a translation was done by a native speaker, or at least sounds like it was, or are fluent enough with those languages to be able to at least tell you if it is a machine translation or was done by someone who definitely isn´t a native speaker or on native speaker level.

If you don´t know anyone, or only people you´d not like to ask, getting the opinion of another translator/proofreader might be the second best option indeed, I actually had someone in my inbox once asking for my opinion on a text that had been translated into German by someone, that method is a bit iffy though obviously, if you don´t know/trust the person you ask to check the translator’s work any more than the translator. 😉

@miiila: That is exactly what I am afraid of will happen. Well, they say it takes money to make money, so I’ll have take your and dj’s advice: experiment!

There is a seller named @fastcopywriter who is a TRS and I think is fluent in Spanish. I’m on mobile on dicey internet so I haven’t checked yet to see if he does translation. I was thinking even if not, he might know someone else good. He’ll get a notification so maybe he’ll respond here. 🙂

@fonthaunt: I was thinking of him too. He doesn’t do translation service.

I actually know a bit of Spanish but only to know what is being said, not if it’s being worded correctly - which I think is worse than not knowing anything.

que?

por que no habla espanol mamacitas?😉

que?por que no habla espanol mamacitas?😉

Oh, but he does! I saw a post he did on this forum in response to someone.

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen him around lately. He’s probably busy making lots and lots of $$$.

I need to take a lesson from him and quit messing around on this forum and finish up that book that I’ve been working on for the past six months!!

que?por que no habla espanol mamacitas?😉

Oh, but he does! I saw a post he did on this forum in response to someone.

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen him around lately. He’s probably busy making lots and lots of $$$.

I need to take a lesson from him and quit messing around on this forum and finish up that book that I’ve been working on for the past six months!!

I actually said,

“What?

Why do you not speak spanish mamacitas?”

😉

I actually said,

“What?

Why do you not speak spanish mamacitas?”

😉

“What?Why do you not speak spanish mamacitas?”😉

Oh, dj, if you only knew what I did for a living, you wouldn’t be calling me ‘mamacitas’ - 😉

PS: I said un poquito Español. I took Spanish in college, received straight A’s - needless to say, I can read it better than understand the spoken words. Writing it - oh, I don’t think so …

There is a seller named @fastcopywriter who is a TRS and I think is fluent in Spanish. I’m on mobile on dicey internet so I haven’t checked yet to see if he does translation. I was thinking even if not, he might know someone else good. He’ll get a notification so maybe he’ll respond here. 🙂

Hi, I did get a notification. Who needs a translation/adaptation or proofreading of Spanish?

Hi Gina,
Since I offer translation gigs here, allow me to hop in.

So, how to evaluate whether the person has done a decent job or not…
that is tricky. I’ve seen people complain about terrible “native/bilingual translators” here before,
I’ve seen those gigs myself, and I feel bad for those buyers who bought and
are still buying from those fake sellers.
A while ago a buyer contacted me telling me that he had this document translated by another
seller, and wanted me to proofread the whole thing. Turned out that the translation was a disaster and I ended up redoing the whole thing. The question here is how can he trust what I’ve told him?
I could have been lying. The original seller might have done a perfect job, and I created this
HUGE lie just so I can get the job and money!!!

Translation is scary since there is no way to check whether the person did a good job unless
you know someone around you can personally trust, and that person really knows the language.

I think that is the best step to take is to buy a basic gig, let them translate something, then take that and show it to someone you can trust or another seller.

Sad thing is just because the seller has a lot of good reviews it does NOT mean he/she can be
trusted especially when it comes to translation. You might want to order from several different
sellers. Or maybe take that translation, post it here at the forum and ask people to critique the work?

Hi Gina,

Since I offer translation gigs here, allow me to hop in.

So, how to evaluate whether the person has done a decent job or not…

that is tricky. I’ve seen people complain about terrible “native/bilingual translators” here before,

I’ve seen those gigs myself, and I feel bad for those buyers who bought and

are still buying from those fake sellers.

A while ago a buyer contacted me telling me that he had this document translated by another

seller, and wanted me to proofread the whole thing. Turned out that the translation was a disaster and I ended up redoing the whole thing. The question here is how can he trust what I’ve told him?

I could have been lying. The original seller might have done a perfect job, and I created this

HUGE lie just so I can get the job and money!!!

Translation is scary since there is no way to check whether the person did a good job unless

you know someone around you can personally trust, and that person really knows the language.

I think that is the best step to take is to buy a basic gig, let them translate something, then take that and show it to someone you can trust or another seller.

Sad thing is just because the seller has a lot of good reviews it does NOT mean he/she can be

trusted especially when it comes to translation. You might want to order from several different

sellers. Or maybe take that translation, post it here at the forum and ask people to critique the work?

@zeus777: I am actually afraid of exactly that!

Oh, well, I just placed several orders so I’ll see how it turns out!!

Update:

Got a few of the translations back.

I’m pleased to say the English to French sounds promising! It seems to flow well with punctuation, spelling etc. (Yes, I used Google translate). I am hopeful - although, it translated him as her - I’m not sure what that means.

I also got another one back - this one is from English to Something else - Oh, I have a bad feeling about that one. Even google translate was confused.

Hey, then again, what do I know. It could be totally the other way around - the first one is really bad and the second one is perfect - and written exactly the way it’s supposed to be in another language.

@zeus777: I definitely trust your skills. I am not translating this one into any Asian languages.

Archived