Tutor looking to not be hit with stinginess

richardwu802

Hi all,

This is my first time here and frankly have only completed my first order. My only client paid me 12 (actually 9.6) dollars for a custom order assignment that I had to write out all of the explanations to 12 questions (I wrote out 8 pages and took me 8 hours to complete). I specifically said that I would only teach AP BC (AB included) calculus in my gig, but the buyer threw me questions that weren’t required by the College Board, so I’d never learned them. Afterwards, they found out that their teacher didn’t require them. To be clear, I am a high school senior.

My usual gigs are around 20 dollars for a 45 minute lesson and provide curated worksheets. Should I be giving out my time for that low? Now they want 6 questions for 6 dollars. I feel like I’m slaving away just for some algorithm exposure (which I’m definitely not getting), and instead of being a teacher (which I actually care about), I’m being a stereotypical high school nerd being paid dimes for my time because they’re asking for me to basically do their homework. I want to refuse and ask for much higher but I’m terrified of them leaving a bad review and fiverr cancelling me. I’ve already got destroyed on the response time metric because someone from halfway around the world messaged me while I was asleep, and I didn’t respond in time. Any advice?

You’re likely to get banned if you keep doing homework assignments …just say no …

But am I then never going to get orders again? Can they review bomb me and I’ll be buried under the algorithm? I feel like I don’t have as much power as I like as a seller.

If you’re banned you won’t get any orders. That’s your starting point.

Review bombing is only possible if people make orders - would it be worth them making that effort and investment? Fees are not returned on cancellation … someone correct me if I’m wrong about this.

Also … freelancing is a risk. There are no guarantees. You have to decide what to do yourself.

Be more specific in gig descriptions - make it obvious you don’t do homework.

If you’re banned you won’t get any orders. That’s your starting point.

Review bombing is only possible if people make orders - would it be worth them making that effort and investment? Fees are not returned on cancellation … someone correct me if I’m wrong about this.

Also … freelancing is a risk. There are no guarantees. You have to decide what to do yourself.

Be more specific in gig descriptions - make it obvious you don’t do homework.

Oh, I see. I thought it was something like yelp. I’ve already slapped away the order, and I’ll just have to wait to see what the algorithm brings me.

There’s a post somewhere entitled something like : orders don’t come to those who wait. I suggest you use the search bar, read it … and put the advice into practice …

A classic thread by Lloydsolutions.

So many new sellers come on the forum complaining that they have been on the site for a few days or weeks and are fed up waiting for orders. Some sellers wait months or more to get their first order! Don’t wait! Check out: https://forum.fiverr.com/c/Fiverr-Tips/tips-for-sellers for hundreds of tips on how to get orders. Take time to read, learn, and take action! That is the only way to get orders! Be a Doer! Try it out for yourself! Good luck! slightly_smiling_face

A classic thread by Lloydsolutions.

So many new sellers come on the forum complaining that they have been on the site for a few days or weeks and are fed up waiting for orders. Some sellers wait months or more to get their first order! Don’t wait! Check out: https://forum.fiverr.com/c/Fiverr-Tips/tips-for-sellers for hundreds of tips on how to get orders. Take time to read, learn, and take action! That is the only way to get orders! Be a Doer! Try it out for yourself! Good luck! slightly_smiling_face

Perfect! Thanks!

I’ll add that one to my list

Archived