Twenty orders, two weeks. - What I have learnt

kometbeats

So, I just want to start by saying that I am by no means a Fiverr pro, I’ve been on this site since April, and it’s been nothing but a learning experience as a freelancer and as a person, also, you may or may not find these points relevant to your field, I work in Music/Audio. I have recently experienced a boom in sales and it seems that I’ll be Level One in my next and wanted to share my thoughts as well as share 5 tips for a good Fiverr experience. (This post will be part-rant, part-tips)

1. It’s never enough

If you spend just an hour looking through forums you’ll notice there are three common threads being made by the dozen, “My impressions and clicks are going down”, “I’ve been on Fiverr for three minutes and I still have no sales” and “I’ve spammed buyer requests and no one has accepted them”. Across these three themes, you’ll notice it’s always the same explanation, “I’ve done EVERYTHING and no one buys my gig” and “I’ve been waiting and still no sales”, well, let me tell you, you haven’t done everything and waiting will NOT get you sales, in fact, the minutes you spent making your account and making the thread you could’ve done a test on your profile to verify your knowledge, or you could’ve learnt that impressions are added every time your gig loads on a page, whether as the 50th result or as a relevant gig, but this by no means your gig was what the buyer was looking for. Now, if in-fact your buyer was looking for your gig and they didn’t click, have you considered that your gig doesn’t look desirable? And if they did click but you did not convert the sale, then shouldn’t you be working on your description, are there any grammar mistakes? Does it sound too informal? Are you overusing bold and highlighted text? Is it a boring guilt-trip story? How about the way you present your product? Are you using low quality images? Would a company like Amazon have an advert that looks like this? Do the fonts look like they were chosen from paint? How about your pricing? If your gig does not look up to a professional standard, then why would somebody pay you $40 for the service? My point is, you MUST work on your gig, you have NOT done enough. Spending 2 hours setting your gigs up IS NOT enough. I can tell you I worked tirelessly to improve my gig, the tags, the description, etc., until I started converting sales. Experiment, study and try new things. Don’t just wait!

2. Fact check

I was debating whether to add this point, I’m sorry if this comes off as aggressive, but please, fact-check the tips you’re given and who’s giving them. The amount of times I’ve seen not-so-great sellers give poor advice to new sellers is crazy! And I know success is subjective, but if a seller who averages 3 stars with only 5 reviews is giving you advice then they probably aren’t the right person to be listening to. The main myths that are spread around are “be online 24/7” and “send 10 buyer requests a day”, listen, deep breath, being online 24/7 is not only terrible advice, but unhealthy advice, any seller with an ounce of experience will tell you that most of your orders will come whilst you’re sleeping, and this isn’t a bad thing! Ok, sure, you might miss one or two messages, but so what? There will be more opportunities! As for buyer requests, please don’t just spam 10 buyer requests a day, read through the requests first, see if the budget matches your pricing or whether you can work through it, make sure it’s work you CAN do, not just work you’re trying to snatch, because it will be an unpleasant experience for both you and the buyer.

3. Health first, customer second.

Look, I’ve been there, I’ve wanted to make that sale too and you’ve read through the messages and noticed a few red flags, but you put them aside because you haven’t had a sale in while but trust me, it is not worth the hassle! You will soon realize to trust your gut and learn to take on work that you can complete without losing yourself, don’t under-price yourself just because someone claims they’ll “be back for more business”, don’t take work from people who are clearly there to take advantage or have no idea what they’re talking about and don’t take on more work then you can handle, there’s an order limit function you can turn on for a reason, I’ll say it again, I’ve been there, I took on 5 jobs in ONE DAY, I was sleep deprived, my ears were exhausted as were my eyes, and for about 3 days after I was unable to work properly (I luckily handed everything on time and received great feedback). Don’t take on workloads you can’t handle, start to notice small things, are you exhausted after each order? Do you feel like the reward is not worth the work? Then you should consider changing your pricing or limiting the orders you take in. Your health is the priority!

4. Trust your talent

We joined Fiverr because we believed we had something to offer worth sharing. More than once I’ve found myself in a situation where I’ve just woken up to an order with a very vague description, and since my gig promises quality within 24 hours and because of time zones, messaging the buyer could be off the table, I’ve been pushed to just trust my talent, my worth. This person saw my work, read the reviews, and decided that I could this job, not me, they decided. And if a stranger is willing to trust your worth, why can’t you? As someone in a creative field, in Music to be exact, my advice is to listen and really pay attention to detail in the reference provided, find what you believe works best in this work and how YOU would like to interpret this art. Trust your talent!

5. Too much of a good thing

This last point is something I’ve strived to eliminate from my gigs entirely, it really is a vile word, can you guess what it is? …Unlimited. I have to be honest, as someone that worked in the food industry there probably isn’t a phrase I hate more than “ the customer is always right.”, don’t get me wrong, I believe in customer satisfaction as much as anyone, I always strive to hand in the best quality work possible, and if there are any revisions that need to be made then of course! My customer must pay an additional $x… You may be confused. You’d be right to be, this could be just specific to my gig but because of the nature of my gig, 24 hours to create an amazing song, well, I don’t offer revisions at all, but if you are someone that offers revisions, why would you offer unlimited revisions? You are BEGGING for someone to take advantage of you! Are the horror stories on this forum not enough? Your customer is right until they are wrong. When they start to pour their opinions into your field, that is when you need to convince the customer of your expertise, which should never have to happen, but it can. For this reason, my final point is don’t overpromise, and please get rid of the word unlimited in your gigs, you’re asking for problems! Just tell your story and your product how it is, for what it is. If it really is a good enough product, I promise you someone will see your worth too!

Good luck!
This post definitely ended un being more of a rant, but I hope you’ve learnt a thing or two, or at least given you something to think about. :))

Twenty orders, two weeks - and I offer service in low competition in-demand section (3,690 sellers available).

Most of the new sellers that are offering services in low competition sections have orders and sales.

But most of the new sellers are not in low competition but in high competition services so no orders for them.

I wish people would stop thinking they are professional graphic designers when they manage to start computer without a black screen or blue screen error and maybe start using FL studio as PRO’s and make beats and sell them, like 180000 of them to do this on Fiverr. And then we shall see will all of them have any sales in the month.

So, I just want to start by saying that I am by no means a Fiverr pro, I’ve been on this site since April, and it’s been nothing but a learning experience as a freelancer and as a person, also, you may or may not find these points relevant to your field, I work in Music/Audio. I have recently experienced a boom in sales and it seems that I’ll be Level One in my next and wanted to share my thoughts as well as share 5 tips for a good Fiverr experience. (This post will be part-rant, part-tips)

1. It’s never enough

If you spend just an hour looking through forums you’ll notice there are three common threads being made by the dozen, “My impressions and clicks are going down”, “I’ve been on Fiverr for three minutes and I still have no sales” and “I’ve spammed buyer requests and no one has accepted them”. Across these three themes, you’ll notice it’s always the same explanation, “I’ve done EVERYTHING and no one buys my gig” and “I’ve been waiting and still no sales”, well, let me tell you, you haven’t done everything and waiting will NOT get you sales, in fact, the minutes you spent making your account and making the thread you could’ve done a test on your profile to verify your knowledge, or you could’ve learnt that impressions are added every time your gig loads on a page, whether as the 50th result or as a relevant gig, but this by no means your gig was what the buyer was looking for. Now, if in-fact your buyer was looking for your gig and they didn’t click, have you considered that your gig doesn’t look desirable? And if they did click but you did not convert the sale, then shouldn’t you be working on your description, are there any grammar mistakes? Does it sound too informal? Are you overusing bold and highlighted text? Is it a boring guilt-trip story? How about the way you present your product? Are you using low quality images? Would a company like Amazon have an advert that looks like this? Do the fonts look like they were chosen from paint? How about your pricing? If your gig does not look up to a professional standard, then why would somebody pay you $40 for the service? My point is, you MUST work on your gig, you have NOT done enough. Spending 2 hours setting your gigs up IS NOT enough. I can tell you I worked tirelessly to improve my gig, the tags, the description, etc., until I started converting sales. Experiment, study and try new things. Don’t just wait!

2. Fact check

I was debating whether to add this point, I’m sorry if this comes off as aggressive, but please, fact-check the tips you’re given and who’s giving them. The amount of times I’ve seen not-so-great sellers give poor advice to new sellers is crazy! And I know success is subjective, but if a seller who averages 3 stars with only 5 reviews is giving you advice then they probably aren’t the right person to be listening to. The main myths that are spread around are “be online 24/7” and “send 10 buyer requests a day”, listen, deep breath, being online 24/7 is not only terrible advice, but unhealthy advice, any seller with an ounce of experience will tell you that most of your orders will come whilst you’re sleeping, and this isn’t a bad thing! Ok, sure, you might miss one or two messages, but so what? There will be more opportunities! As for buyer requests, please don’t just spam 10 buyer requests a day, read through the requests first, see if the budget matches your pricing or whether you can work through it, make sure it’s work you CAN do, not just work you’re trying to snatch, because it will be an unpleasant experience for both you and the buyer.

Look, I’ve been there, I’ve wanted to make that sale too and you’ve read through the messages and noticed a few red flags, but you put them aside because you haven’t had a sale in while but trust me, it is not worth the hassle! You will soon realize to trust your gut and learn to take on work that you can complete without losing yourself, don’t under-price yourself just because someone claims they’ll “be back for more business”, don’t take work from people who are clearly there to take advantage or have no idea what they’re talking about and don’t take on more work then you can handle, there’s an order limit function you can turn on for a reason, I’ll say it again, I’ve been there, I took on 5 jobs in ONE DAY, I was sleep deprived, my ears were exhausted as were my eyes, and for about 3 days after I was unable to work properly (I luckily handed everything on time and received great feedback). Don’t take on workloads you can’t handle, start to notice small things, are you exhausted after each order? Do you feel like the reward is not worth the work? Then you should consider changing your pricing or limiting the orders you take in. Your health is the priority!

4. Trust your talent

We joined Fiverr because we believed we had something to offer worth sharing. More than once I’ve found myself in a situation where I’ve just woken up to an order with a very vague description, and since my gig promises quality within 24 hours and because of time zones, messaging the buyer could be off the table, I’ve been pushed to just trust my talent, my worth. This person saw my work, read the reviews, and decided that I could this job, not me, they decided. And if a stranger is willing to trust your worth, why can’t you? As someone in a creative field, in Music to be exact, my advice is to listen and really pay attention to detail in the reference provided, find what you believe works best in this work and how YOU would like to interpret this art. Trust your talent!

This last point is something I’ve strived to eliminate from my gigs entirely, it really is a vile word, can you guess what it is? …Unlimited. I have to be honest, as someone that worked in the food industry there probably isn’t a phrase I hate more than “ the customer is always right.”, don’t get me wrong, I believe in customer satisfaction as much as anyone, I always strive to hand in the best quality work possible, and if there are any revisions that need to be made then of course! My customer must pay an additional $x… You may be confused. You’d be right to be, this could be just specific to my gig but because of the nature of my gig, 24 hours to create an amazing song, well, I don’t offer revisions at all, but if you are someone that offers revisions, why would you offer unlimited revisions? You are BEGGING for someone to take advantage of you! Are the horror stories on this forum not enough? Your customer is right until they are wrong. When they start to pour their opinions into your field, that is when you need to convince the customer of your expertise, which should never have to happen, but it can. For this reason, my final point is don’t overpromise, and please get rid of the word unlimited in your gigs, you’re asking for problems! Just tell your story and your product how it is, for what it is. If it really is a good enough product, I promise you someone will see your worth too!

Good luck!

This post definitely ended un being more of a rant, but I hope you’ve learnt a thing or two, or at least given you something to think about. :))

please, fact-check the tips you’re given and who’s giving them. The amount of times I’ve seen not-so-great sellers give poor advice to new sellers is crazy!

Thank you. I’m so disappointed there’s no reporting option in the forum for false advice.

It’s a case of people who don’t know what they’re doing regurgitating fantasy advice because they think it makes them look smart and will get them orders.

I’ve noticed these lies are almost never removed from the forum. I get that mods are working for free and they’re busy, but I’m utterly baffled why lies and recommendations of unethical behavior are allowed to stay published.

1. It’s never enough

2. Fact check

4. Trust your talent

Good luck!

The amount of times I’ve seen not-so-great sellers give poor advice to new sellers is crazy!

This phenomena is not exclusive to Fiverr (but probably more apparent due to the number of similar threads asking similar stuff here). People hate feeling helpless - they want to feel useful to their community (even when they have nothing to offer). That’s why you have some people here say stuff like “don’t worry, you’ll make it” or “just do xxx and I’m sure you’ll succeed”.

There are nothing less useful than sweet nothings, unless the original posters of such threads don’t really want to succeed and just want an e-pat on their backs. 🙃

please, fact-check the tips you’re given and who’s giving them. The amount of times I’ve seen not-so-great sellers give poor advice to new sellers is crazy!

Thank you. I’m so disappointed there’s no reporting option in the forum for false advice.

It’s a case of people who don’t know what they’re doing regurgitating fantasy advice because they think it makes them look smart and will get them orders.

I’ve noticed these lies are almost never removed from the forum. I get that mods are working for free and they’re busy, but I’m utterly baffled why lies and recommendations of unethical behavior are allowed to stay published.

just i love you that talk.full of information

I’m so disappointed there’s no reporting option in the forum for false advice.

You can flag these posts and choose “something else” or “inappropriate” from the list. Mods love flags …

I’m so disappointed there’s no reporting option in the forum for false advice.

You can flag these posts and choose “something else” or “inappropriate” from the list. Mods love flags …

Thanks. I have but haven’t seen them removed when I’ve done that and there’s no option to report false advice and nothing in the forum terms that says it’s forbidden or what happens when people post lies.

And I can see that mods engage with false threads and posts, yet not remove them. People would have scroll down to see the claims disputed.

Without mandates and consequences for lies and unethical suggestions in the forum it feels futile to report them.

I know I’m a stickler but it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of sellers spam and cheat because of “tricks” they’ve read on the forum.

Spot on. I feel the same way.

Spot on. I feel the same way.

Thank you.

We can rebut things all we want, but unless someone happens to scroll down to see our comments, we can’t reverse the impact of lies being posted.

And many times even after I dispute and correct something still like a dozen people after will respond thanking and complimenting the person who has lied on their “great advice.”

So the fact that the lies stay up at all is dangerous. Closing the thread or us rebutting things doesn’t remove the dangers of lies being published.

@kometbeats I thought this post was excellent, and a really refreshing read (so many people come to Fiverr, make 2 sales and then create their ‘top tips’ post and it’s almost always the same re-hashed, often wrong advice). The points you make here are great, and often overlooked, so I just wanted to commend you for putting this together.

Something I learnt (I was inspired by your 3rd post about ‘health first’) is to Trust Your Gut. This one comes with practice and experience on the platform, but I honestly apply this so often nowadays. You get kind of ‘Spidey Senses’ when you’ve spent enough time selling on Fiverr, and in the past, I’ve ignored these because I don’t want to turn down a sale… almost always, those are the deals that go south, and often end in cancellations.

Just this morning, we got a message that went;

Them: “Hiiiiii”
Us: “Hi. How can we help?”
Them: “I wanna record my voice.”
Us: “OK - could you please describe your project/requirements to us?”
Them: “Voice dub.”

I ended the conversation at this point. Sure, I could have probed more, but if you can’t string a coherent sentence together to explain what you want, we can’t work with you.

If your gut tells you that something isn’t worth pursuing, don’t overthink it - just listen. Like you say, other deals will come along.

The amount of times I’ve seen not-so-great sellers give poor advice to new sellers is crazy!

This phenomena is not exclusive to Fiverr (but probably more apparent due to the number of similar threads asking similar stuff here). People hate feeling helpless - they want to feel useful to their community (even when they have nothing to offer). That’s why you have some people here say stuff like “don’t worry, you’ll make it” or “just do xxx and I’m sure you’ll succeed”.

There are nothing less useful than sweet nothings, unless the original posters of such threads don’t really want to succeed and just want an e-pat on their backs. 🙃

So I just checked out your profile and looks like you joined Fiverr a month back and you don’t even have a gig yet still you advised me on how I can improve sales just few minutes back. Forget about not-so-great you not-a-seller at all, so looks like we finally found what @kometbeats was talking about

So I just checked out your profile and looks like you joined Fiverr a month back and you don’t even have a gig yet still you advised me on how I can improve sales just few minutes back. Forget about not-so-great you not-a-seller at all, so looks like we finally found what @kometbeats was talking about

Hello Prasad, with all due respect, you were asking the floor (meaning everyone here) to check on your gig because you wanted a suggestion on how to improve it. I fail to see the relevance between my join date and my activity as a seller with the suggestions I gave you from the point of view of a potential buyer.

I made my reply in an informed way and in no way giving you a suggestion without fact-checking (you are welcome to see what your competitors charge, their number of reviews, and the quality of their works if you do not believe me). I gave you my reply in good faith and in a polite manner, I would appreciate it if you do the same.

Now, if you are one of those people who prefer to have an e-pat instead, there will be other people who would be more than happy to do so. 😉

Good day/evening to you and take great care of yourself.

So I just checked out your profile and looks like you joined Fiverr a month back and you don’t even have a gig yet still you advised me on how I can improve sales just few minutes back.

I must have missed the forum rule stating that you may only provide feedback to a Seller so long as you were also a Seller yourself?

So I just checked out your profile and looks like you joined Fiverr a month back and you don’t even have a gig yet still you advised me on how I can improve sales just few minutes back.

I must have missed the forum rule stating that you may only provide feedback to a Seller so long as you were also a Seller yourself?

@cubittaudio If you check what the person who started this thread says “The amount of times I’ve seen not-so-great sellers give poor advice to new sellers is crazy!”. Obviously Fiverr is not going to put a constraint upon who says its an open forum but if a new seller takes advice from a not-so-great seller wouldn’t it be harmful for them? That was simply the point. Sure I can be a world famous dietician right here right now but I have not WALKED THE PATH so I don’t have the credentials but not everyone would know that and if I started giving advice on what you should eat and if you take my advice it would result in not so-good consequences.

@cubittaudio If you check what the person who started this thread says “The amount of times I’ve seen not-so-great sellers give poor advice to new sellers is crazy!”. Obviously Fiverr is not going to put a constraint upon who says its an open forum but if a new seller takes advice from a not-so-great seller wouldn’t it be harmful for them? That was simply the point. Sure I can be a world famous dietician right here right now but I have not WALKED THE PATH so I don’t have the credentials but not everyone would know that and if I started giving advice on what you should eat and if you take my advice it would result in not so-good consequences.

Sure I can be a world famous dietician right here right now but I have not WALKED THE PATH so I don’t have the credentials but not everyone would know that and if I started giving advice on what you should eat and if you take my advice it would result in not so-good consequences.

What? I am sure most people would love to get your advice on what to eat if you were a world-famous dietitian if they had asked a forum for help with their diet???

Also, you do not have to be a seller to be able to give valid advice on a gig. Advice from potential buyers can often be even more valuable. And, I really think you should judge the advice upon its content, rather than the number of stars next to the person’s name.

I read the thread in question and there was nothing wrong with @ignareint’s advice.

Congratulations to you, @kometbeats, for your great success. It is amazing to get twenty orders in only two weeks, and I thank you for sharing your great advice with the community.

Sure I can be a world famous dietician right here right now but I have not WALKED THE PATH so I don’t have the credentials but not everyone would know that and if I started giving advice on what you should eat and if you take my advice it would result in not so-good consequences.

What? I am sure most people would love to get your advice on what to eat if you were a world-famous dietitian if they had asked a forum for help with their diet???

Also, you do not have to be a seller to be able to give valid advice on a gig. Advice from potential buyers can often be even more valuable. And, I really think you should judge the advice upon its content, rather than the number of stars next to the person’s name.

I read the thread in question and there was nothing wrong with @ignareint’s advice.

Congratulations to you, @kometbeats, for your great success. It is amazing to get twenty orders in only two weeks, and I thank you for sharing your great advice with the community.

I think you misinterpreted my statement. I meant I can PRETEND to be a world famous dietician. Anyway since you don’t feel my point is valid there is no point in explaining.

I’m well aware of what the OP said - I left my own thoughts in a followup post.

The point being made in the original post, is that you don’t have to necessarily listen to all feedback/advice given to you, and to be wary of advice given by inexperienced sellers. But you chose to call out someone who gave you honest, fair, well thought out feedback. In fact, you were rude with absolutely no provocation;

Forget about not-so-great you not-a-seller at all,

If you wish to ignore someone’s advice, that’s fine. But calling someone out for giving you very reasonable feedback (feedback that you asked for, on a public forum) reflects badly on you, not them.

I’m well aware of what the OP said - I left my own thoughts in a followup post.

The point being made in the original post, is that you don’t have to necessarily listen to all feedback/advice given to you, and to be wary of advice given by inexperienced sellers. But you chose to call out someone who gave you honest, fair, well thought out feedback. In fact, you were rude with absolutely no provocation;

Forget about not-so-great you not-a-seller at all,

If you wish to ignore someone’s advice, that’s fine. But calling someone out for giving you very reasonable feedback (feedback that you asked for, on a public forum) reflects badly on you, not them.

I agree I asked for it so it doesn’t make sense to discredit them. I apologize @ignareint and to you for those remarks. I accept it was my bad.

Archived