Fiverr Forum

Um, no! I'm an ENTREPRENEUR, not a internet HOOKER!

Sorry guys, but I have to rant about this one a little.

I am very lucky to have my Fiverr business doing very well, and I make enough money on here so that I actually don’t have to have another job, but since I’m starting college in 3 months, I got another job at a sub shop to make some more money right before I started school.

Today I was at work (my job at the sub shop, not working on Fiverr), and this old btch came in. My coworker was talking to her saying that both of us keep really busy. My coworker went on to explain to the customer her different jobs and her business (she has a business of her own too). Then the customer asked me what I do. I told her that I work here at the sub shop, I’m finishing high school, and I have my own business (Fiverr). She says to me, “Oh, what kind of business?” I said that I do freelance online.

Then you’ll never even guess what she said to me! She said, “Ohhhhhh, are you one of those girls that answers the phone real nice when the boys call?!” And she said it in a really snobby way too. I could have killed her. I’m thinking…Seriously? I tell you that I’m a online FREELANCER, and what you get out of that is that I’m a INTERNET HOOKER!? Ummm I think not!

It just really made me mad because I’m 17, and I have my own successful business that I’m VERY proud of. Then this b
tch that doesn’t even know me has the audacity to assume that I’m an internet hooker, and then has the nerve to actually say it. What a narrow-minded, uneducated, judgmental person! It’s sad that an older lady that probably doesn’t even know how to turn on a computer straight away judges me and calls me a hooker just because my business is online. P*ssed me straight off.

That’s all.

Has anyone ever hated on your Fiverr business?

I wouldn’t call it a business, but wow, that’s a horrible thing for her to say. I always explain to people the actual types of videos I make rather than just saying “I make videos online” and leaving it up to their imaginations, haha!

Reply to @alliemadison12: Why wouldn’t you call it a business? It is… I offer services, people buy them, and they buy enough of them so that I can support myself on the money that I make from it. That sounds like a business to me.

Reply to @cassysailermoon: No need to get upset! A business is an organization. Also, you are not an entrepreneur. A seller had a great explanation as to why if you read the reply on this discussion http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/15397/professional-sounding-title-for-job#Item_13

I’m not trying to upset you, but it’s important to know what terms mean so you don’t throw them around too much.

Reply to @cassysailermoon: Sorry but you do not own a business. No business license, etc. Working via Fiverr just isn’t what a business is defined as. Also, you’re not an entrepreneur here. Again, not what our work is defined as. No risk etc. Just steer clear of these types of descriptors. They do you no justice and simply don’t apply.

Now I wish I could give you advice on how to avoid grumpy, mean, tactless ladies. :slight_smile:

Reply to @alliemadison12: I wasn’t upset…Didn’t mean to come off that way. I guess we just have a difference on opinion on this one. I never meant that I OWNED a business. But, in my opinion, what I am doing is a business. I don’t really know what else it would be called. It’s not a hobby-- I make full time money on Fiverr. What would you call it?

Reply to @cheezees: Yeah, I don’t mean that I OWN a business, but I do believe that what I have going on here is a business. What would you call it? I don’t think you need to have a huge risk to say that your an entrepreneur. I work for myself and support myself on the money that I make. I believe that’s what an entrepreneur is.

Merriam-Webster would call this a business, “the activity of making, buying, or selling goods or providing services in exchange for money.”

@Cassysailermoon - You have great listings! Good luck on Fiverr. Sorry about your bad experience with that lady. Don’t let the crappy people get in your head. Have a nice day! :slight_smile:

Sing your stress away. Maybe to me.

I get you cassy. I so get you.

If I can call half a dozen planks of wood with a sign attached a ‘business’ (I was 12, whoever doesn’t agree is as heartless as the old sub lady), then this is as well.

Often people use terms in their own cultural, social, and most commonly, personal contexts. To this brooding old woman, business may be mistakenly interchangeable with “big business.” As in being nothing short of a sky-scraping monstrosity filled to the brim with gray-suited drones scuffling from floor to floor.

Fiverr is inventing terms monthly. Use them. You’re a “Gig Entrepreneur”, or how about a “Freelance Video Maker”, uh…I’m out of- this is fiverr’s fault! Too busy drinking with hot web ideas. What’s that term that predates fiverr…micro…something. Micro-jobs, tasks, contracts, it’s “micro”-something! You’re a member of Fiverr.com, so you’re "with a company pioneering the ‘micro-whatever’ industry."

Maybe she never had the chance to own a business herself. Or wishes she could afford to eat more than bread and s sliced pig. Misery loves it’s company! Don’t give it that company, or even the acquaintanceship of frustration.

Or maybe – and I mean just maybe – she was there to MOTIVATE you in the unorthodox and surprisingly effective vehicle of “daily doubt.”

If it were me, I would have used the zinger on your profile description. “And when were you last featured on nationwide TV, ma’am?” Make that elder respect YOU!

You should have replied “Like you used to on the dial phones?” :wink:

Reply to @crcanny: Hahaha! Yes! But when people insult me really badly, I usually can’t even come up with a come back just because I’m so shocked…I’ll get her next time!

I have the same views as you, on this. I feel like an entrepreneur and a business owner. These other sellers can disagree and be “politically correct.” However, it is just like a business. It requires the same amount of efforts.

As for being relevant to the topic, what a bitch.