Unfair customer ratings

videolabs

I am really annoyed by how easy a buyer can ruin someones ratings…

Today I had a case where a buyer rated me 5 stars and in few hours they changed it to 1 star…

This is what actually happened…

The buyer with the minimal value order got the first version of the video and he didn’t liked the font, so of course he required a modification - to use the same font as in the presentation he have sent to me…

I did that and I have sent the modified video to the buyer, and few hours later - the buyer wrote a positive Outstanding Experience - review…
Meanwhile, the employer at his company didn’t liked the font ( the one they have asked me to use) and the buyer asked me in inbox to change the font and I have replied, that I will.

While we were talking, the buyer changed his review to 1 star review…

What would you do? How can we - sellers, protect from buyers of this kind?

Customer Support with screenshot evidence. If you’ve done everything to standard and agreed to effect changes due to his mistake (or his client’s taste, whatever) and then got a 1-star review in place of a former 5-star review, then it’s quite clearly abusing the system. That said, maybe this is a tactic to ensure that you do the work (as in when delivered it goes back to a 5-star review). That’s also shitty behaviour that deserves no reward. Despite what some people might have you believe, CS is there to protect you against this kind of manipulative behavior.

Again, the same message I ever ask for feedback removal…

“We have reviewed your request to remove the feedback placed on this order by your buyer. Unfortunately, your request to remove this rating does not meet our Feedback Removal Policy. If there is a difference of opinion regarding a feedback left by a buyer, then we suggest contacting the buyer to understand how they rated your services.”

By this, I can see that each buyer can blackmail us - sellers with a negative review to get what they want.

I feel bad only because, I was about to change it until he was happy… There was no need of 1 star…

That’s a cookie-cutter response. A disappointing one, to be sure! You should write back and note that the default “outstanding experience!” is coupled with a 1-star review and send screenshots of the conversation in between the review. Perhaps remind them of the TOS as well.

Cherrypick according to need, but here:

Leaving a buyer’s feedback is a basic prerogative of a buyer. Feedback reviews will not be removed unless there are clear violations to our Terms of Service.

Which leads to

Delivered Orders (after the seller clicks Deliver Now and before the order is marked as complete)

The seller uses the Delivery system to extend the delivery due date to complete the requested service without providing the final delivered service to buyers.    Note: Multiple reported offenses will result in permanent suspension of your account.The seller delivers no files and/or proof of work related to the agreed upon order requirements.    Note: Subjectivity of the materials in question will be reviewed by our Customer Support team.The seller requests additional payments, on or off the Fiverr platform, by withholding the final delivery of services directly related to the agreed requirements.The seller is withholding the final delivery of services for improved ratings.Buyers who abuse the Request Revisions button to gain more services from sellers beyond the agreed requirements.<strong>Buyers who threaten to leave a damaging review to gain more services from the seller not related to the agreed requirements.</strong>

Arguably, the threat was enacted as a measurement to abuse the review button in order to get you to perform–the fact that you had already agreed to do so would validate this complaint.

Screenshots + the book = ???

It’s worth nothing that CS agents have some discretion, so it’s worth politely asking for another review while really highlighting the issue. You will have to be professional and polite to your buyer though… sticks in the craw!

EDIT: link to TOS https://www.fiverr.com/terms_of_service

Honestly, read the TOS. It’s your best friend. Those changes were not a part of the initial agreement and as revealed elsewhere in the TOS, you’re not beholden to do them. You would be within your rights to ask for extra compensation. It’s too late for that now, but it’s something to add to the gig FAQ if necessary–and that FAQ will, according to TOS, protect you from this.

I have some CS agents I dread getting, so I try not to write to them at a time when they might pick up the ticket…

BTW if all else fails, imgur screenshots and link in your review with a brief explanation of what happened. Prospective buyers get nothing from “outstanding experience” bar confusion when it’s coupled with a one star review. Some may take the words over the visuals (there are still some idiots who think 1 star is good–my guess is their brain is still in kindergarten), but most will be more than interested to view the link.

And baby, you can defend yourself and paint the seller black all you like there with lots of juicy evidence. But don’t use that as blackmail. It’s just a review, after all.

Dear emmaki,

The problem is that I am very polite with my buyers… Even the lowest volume buyers I treat on the same way I treat the bulk order buyers…

I just asked for another team member to review the request and I got the review removed.

Thank you so much for your help and time.

Archived