UNFAIR... Who protects the seller?

aldodel

A buyer marked the orders as complete, gave me a good rating to each orders… and then he buyed more, he was happy… and today (several days later the order finished and he gave me positive feedback) he contacted me saying that a fiend of him did not liked the work, and wanted a refund, i agreed to refund a part of the work (even he was happy initially)… but now i received notifications, that he cancelled ALL the works, even when i finished them in time and he rated me positive… CAN A BUYER DO THAT WITHOUT A DISPUTE???,… i received this message and the orders are cancelled by the buyer… can they do that??? without my permission??

Hi aldodel, We have been informed by PayPal that a dispute was opened for your order FO62D21547E3: draw you full body picture as a simpsons character within 24 hrs. As a result, we are forced to cancel this order and ask that you discontinue your work. Please note that in some cases disputes are nothing more than temporary holds that PayPal puts on funds to make sure that they were authorized by the buyer. The dispute does not indicate that the buyer initiated it. If the dispute gets resolved, the buyer will receive an offer to reorder your gig. Thanks, The Fiverr Team

Now i see the buyer and his profile dissapeared and the funds were returned to him... and nobody asked me for authorization....

my question, if he could do that, everybody will??
WHO PROTECTS THE SELLER??

I’m not sure what the whole point of the 14 day clearing period is, it could surely be much shorter? It seems to me as if it is really just a mechanism to ensure that a buyer can still get a refund for whatever reason, at your expense. I haven’t quite had this happen to me yet, but I’ve read more horror stories than I’m comfortable with. Especially with gigs that actually require you to invest into them with $$$ before you see the return.

• 2 weeks later...

Even i experienced this on a $60 order.

I agree,heart breaks when things like this happen, but you get mentally tougher to tackle it next time…

This world is bad, but i don’t think all Fiverr buyers are not decent.

check my discussion too SAME CASE!

http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/24227/order-marked-complete-posted-review-took-his-files-and-cancelled-the-order#Item_11

This is quite horrifying to say the least. I suspect the Fiverr management team will be pushed into action should this sort of thing take place regularly.

I’ve Googled “how to scam Fiverr” and couldn’t find any results, which is good. Can you imagine if these rogue buyers started telling the world of the loopholes within Fiverr? We’d be out of pocket and business.

Guest matt_garry

you can contact paypal get screen shots and send it to them do as you would if this was a fiverr dispute prove you did the work and you will get your money back paypal has people you can talk to 24 7

Reply to @brandontvedt:

Also, unless they have changed this -very- recently, PayPal seller protection only extends to buyers who ship -physical- goods.

The last time I checked, which was no more than a few months ago, I was still completely uncovered by their seller protection program as I sell strategy, writing, and creative deliverables.

So not only is he not a party to the dispute, he also may not qualify for the protection, if all he shipped was a digital good.

Reply to @matt_garry:

Look, it’s not open for dispute.

Google this phrase “paypal seller protection digital goods”.

The first result will be the PayPal FAQ.

This is text from inside that FAQ, copypasted:

Why doesn’t Seller Protection cover deliveries made in person, or intangible goods (such as digital goods or services)?

One of the most important requirements for coverage under Seller Protection is proof of shipment or delivery. Since deliveries made in person and sales of intangible goods do not have verifiable shipping documentation, we cannot currently extend protection for these types of transactions.

I don’t know what stories you are hearing, but they directly contradict the PayPal FAQ. I’d link directly if I could, but I gave you an exact way to look for yourself.

Guest matt_garry

im not here to argue but if you look at the buyer side they cant even file disputes for the same reasons. For the most part fiverr offers services and paypal notes that they do not protect the buyer for things like this. So if they are so strict on the rules how can someone file a dispute for something that goes against terms…

Reply to @matt_garry:

Sigh. I realize your intentions are good, but I assure you, you are mistaken, and are spreading misinformation.

Google ‘PayPal chargeback guarantee’. This will again take you back to PayPal.com, to a document entitled ‘Your Guide to Chargebacks’.

The first sentence of the first section, entitled ‘What is a Chargeback?’ reads thusly:

A chargeback, also known as a reversal, is when a buyer asks their credit card issuer to reverse a transaction after it has been completed. It is available only to users who make a payment funded by their credit or debit card.

The important part being -funded by their credit or debit card-.

The PayPal Purchase protection doesn’t apply, and is not what they filed their dispute under. At all. They filed a formal dispute with their credit card company.

And again, the dispute is between -them-, and -Fiverr-; NOT the provider, who they will tell to piss off if they butt their nose in.

This is a legal matter between the person who owns the credit card and the person who accepted the funds; the seller is neither of those two people.

Guest matt_garry

well im not even 100% sure it was a charge back and if it was paypal is very clear that they want to be contacted to stop fraud, they do fight these for the most part but they state they can choose not to. but if they are I am sure they would be happy to get some screen shots of the transaction. They don’t guarantee your money back but I don’t see anything about them saying they wont fight it

Archived