"Unlimited" Instruments

kometbeats

Hey! I’m actively trying to improve my gig, my sales have been going up, and with that has brought a few customers that haven’t been that great to work with (just one actually), and after reading through some posts of horror stories of poor-wording of a gig just to gain sales has landed some people on the wrong side of Customer Service, I’ve been going through and making sure my gig is descriptive and everything is explained clearly, as to not overpromise anything.

Now, as someone that’s in Music Production, in my three tiers of packages, I had it set up so that Tier 1 would offer 10 Instruments, Tier 2 would offer 20 Instruments and Tier 3 would offer “unlimited” instruments. But after reading a few posts, I’ve since realized unlimited is just another way to get taken advantage of, so I wanted to change it to 50 instruments, but it turns out that Fiverr only allows for 25 max.

So, the big question on my mind is, should I be worried about keeping “unlimited instruments” on my gig?

Thank in advance! :))

Hey,

As someone who also produces beats (albeit I don’t sell them on Fiverr), I’d say your current method of ditching ‘unlimited’ and capping it at 25 makes sense. The word ‘unlimited’ makes me twitchy on Fiverr… as you say, some buyers see the word ‘unlimited’ and see that as an invitation to exploit.

And honestly, unless you’re doing orchestral scoring, 25 instruments is A LOT of different sounds to be blending together. Most hip hop beats have only got a handful of instruments covering the melody/sub-melody… I guess if you count each drum/percussive element as a different instrument that might push the number up a bit, but I honestly can’t remember the last time I used 25 instruments in a beat (and I make the same genre as you do).

I’d say differentiating your packages with things like the trackouts/stems, and maybe even having an option with/without commercial rights would be a better way to go.

Hey,

As someone who also produces beats (albeit I don’t sell them on Fiverr), I’d say your current method of ditching ‘unlimited’ and capping it at 25 makes sense. The word ‘unlimited’ makes me twitchy on Fiverr… as you say, some buyers see the word ‘unlimited’ and see that as an invitation to exploit.

And honestly, unless you’re doing orchestral scoring, 25 instruments is A LOT of different sounds to be blending together. Most hip hop beats have only got a handful of instruments covering the melody/sub-melody… I guess if you count each drum/percussive element as a different instrument that might push the number up a bit, but I honestly can’t remember the last time I used 25 instruments in a beat (and I make the same genre as you do).

I’d say differentiating your packages with things like the trackouts/stems, and maybe even having an option with/without commercial rights would be a better way to go.

unless you’re doing orchestral scoring, 25 instruments is A LOT of different sounds to be blending together.

That’s true, although as you mentioned, I do in-fact count each percussive element as a different instrument, but even then I’ve never really pushed past 20-30 instruments.

maybe even having an option with/without commercial rights would be a better way to go.

I might try experimenting with this.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :))

unless you’re doing orchestral scoring, 25 instruments is A LOT of different sounds to be blending together.

That’s true, although as you mentioned, I do in-fact count each percussive element as a different instrument, but even then I’ve never really pushed past 20-30 instruments.

maybe even having an option with/without commercial rights would be a better way to go.

I might try experimenting with this.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :))

I guess you could put 25, but if an instrumental calls for you to provide a few more (or if you’ve already got your 25, but the client REALLY wants more cowbell!) you could always just provide them.

Like you say, it’s avoiding the word ‘Unlimited’ wherever possible I think.

Congratulations on removing the word unlimited from your gigs.

All you need to do is write in your gig description something like “If you require more than 25 instruments, please message me and I can send you a custom offer”.

I’m definitely going to add that! Not sure why I didn’t think of that.

Thanks! :))

Archived