Fiverr Forum

Unrealistic buyer...Is his request overkill?

Hi guys, first post on here…lovely forum! Anyway, I do architectural drawings and sketches in my gigs, usually one subject per, and someone orders a gig requesting (to quote):

"it is a large detailed drawing, similiar to a wheres waldo

it is a scrumble of tiny little characters … they should all be doing little comical arbitrary things, shopping, talking, laughing, playing, some can be doing something ridiculous, there can be some shady characters, maybe some characters are at church, some others can be drunk, singing, dancing, eating, jump rope walking dogs, taking photos, reading books, riding bikes, slingshots, playing cards, upside down, doing kartwheels, being kind of zany.

the setting is a town, with everything a town would have.

town hall, police station, fire department, school, park, water fountatin, town monument, roads, sidewalks, traffic lights, fire hydrants, post office, car dealership, basketball courts, movie theatre, skatepark"

And he ordered one gig. I don’t want to falsely assume, but that seems overkill, even for over-delivering. Thoughts on how to approach this?

Checked your gigs - simply Wow - Great style and quality!

In regard to your question. In general I am a system architect (x-programmer) and my work is to split a huge big work into smaller tasks, but still keep in mind the global picture. I like those heating processes in my head, they keep me worm during cold winter nights :slight_smile:

What you can do - imagine that your general drawings are done on the squared piece of paper, let’s say 20x20 squares. Now imagine how many squares would occupy a picture that your buyer wants you to make… could it be 100x100 squares, maybe more? Simply divide the possible requested area on what you normally do and propose a number of gigs to buy (25 in my example). Also I would recommend to do some very raw sketch of the whole final picture, split it into 5x5 squares and send it to a buyer for approval. If he agrees to work in this way, you can complete squares one-by-one per each gig bought. It will be a win-win proposal, since you don’t risk doing all the work at once and get it refused at the end, and buyer is not spending a lot of money and receive what he might not love.

Another concept could be that in your normal gig you have a certain number of elements, for example maximum 5 characters and 1 building, or 2 buildings and 3 characters, or 7 characters on plain background, or 3 buildings :))) If your buyer wishes to buy simpler elements (less detailed), than you can do let’s say 2 buildings and 7 characters. Now, how many buildings and characters he wants? Do some simple math and propose a number of gigs to buy. And again you can keep on developing your big picture step-by-step (gig-by-gig bought)

I hope my approach will help you to deal with this order.

BR,

Mike K.

@Pandekage I have a bit of a request for you if you’re up for it can you create stuff like this: http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/3623/any-illustrators-out-there

Regards

Wayne

I agree with kornilov. Ask the buyer to order more gigs because that is a lot of work for you. Tell the buyer that if they are uncomfortable paying that amount for the project that you would be happy to mutually cancel the order.

The upside is that your buyer was very thorough in their description so at least you know what they want! :slight_smile:

@pandekage

kornilov said: Simply divide the possible requested area on what you normally do and propose a number of gigs to buy

I agree with Kornilov's answer because may let buyer see that it is a very detailed gig he is requesting and if amendments are needed, easier to locate

Also
kornilov said: would recommend to do some very raw sketch of the whole final picture, split it into 5x5 squares and send it to a buyer for approval. If he agrees to work in this way, you can complete squares one-by-one per each gig bought

Following this suggestion, you'll be able to justify the additional costs involved

==

Hey Pandekage

To avoid such future similar requests, why not amend your gig description explaining exactly what a buyer gets for $5?

Just may cut down your time repeating again and again whenever you get these type of request orders :)

Thanks for the suggestions! The gig-per-square is a good idea; I’ll adopt it for some of my other orders. And definitely make my descriptions more specific.