Unresponsive Buyer?

A few days ago I did a simple gig for someone, grabbed some video for them (well it’s simple for me, LOL) that they couldn’t get, anyway I did the gig, sent out some samples with watermarks and then sent them with a msg saying if they wanted the full gig, to purchase it and I will send the videos in full, without the watermarks and here we are today, those few days later, I sent a msg yesterday asking politely if they still wanted the gig, no reply, so I sent one out today saying that they need to communicate with me by the end of the week and tell me whether or not they still want the gig, otherwise I’m deleting the videos and moving on, which I think is fair enough, anyone else have problems with buyers that simply don’t reply after you’ve done the gig for them, I mean this person has been on here for 3 years, you’d think they’d know how this works, a simple yes or no would be nice? So frustrating :frowning:

Hmm, one of my gig orders was from someone who had an account for at least a year two. He submitted, left what he wanted didn’t come back and say anything til 5-6 days later after I delivered & the order had already completed. I thought oh well, but when he came back he left a good review. So it seems to me that not everyone logs in every other day, or even every week. I find it strange if they are waiting for work done, but each to their own.

Maybe they’re on…vacation? Haha.
Or maybe they were like scouting around for sellers and all… Could be a lot of things.

Yeah, I’ve had buyers like them. I just move on quickly from buyers like that… haha

Yeah I understand everyone has lives outside of Fiverr, so do us Sellers, I think Buyers conveniently forget about that at times, LOL?
Personally it makes no sense to me, they reply and tell you they want the gig, string you along for a few days then don’t even bother to reply either way, a simple yes or no will suffice, as long as I know what is going on, I mean the gigs are just waiting there for them to order, personally for the video one, I think they were waiting to see if I sent if for free and when I put the watermark on it, they got shirty and bailed, i don’t know but I will give them to the end of the week and then too bad, so sad, hope you’re not mad… :stuck_out_tongue:

Do not do samples of actual real work (even if it is easy for you to pull together) until someone actually BUYS your gig. That is the biggest issue here, you just gave the person work for free. Even if it has a watermark, they can simply copy your idea now and make it for themself or have someone else make it for less.

Yeah, I know you’re starting off and you might feel compelled to go that extra mile for a buyer even before they purchase just to try and lock down those purchases, and to be honest, the buyer that bumped me from unleveled to level one was a buyer I did work for before he purchased anything, and then he purchased ten gigs in a row to get me to level one, but it’s usually a pretty bad idea to do any work for someone until they’ve actually placed an order.

r3k0d3d said: they reply back usually stating that they really like or love the samples and would like to purchase the gig <--- That is the proof, it's a written contract that they like my product and want to purchase it,
I don't think that a message saying that you like something is a probe of anything. Sometimes I buy a dress that I like, and two days later I don't like it anymore.

The contract starts from the moment the buyer buys the gig, and from that point on, both buyer and seller have their rights and obligations. Anything said before that moment, that isn’t written in the gig text or custom offer text, has no value.

Besides, maybe the buyer loves your video, but he’s a reseller and his own client doesn’t. So he finally doesn’t make the order, even though he told you he liked it.

Someone just purchased my gig about two hours ago and hasn’t responded. However, they’ve been online this entire time.

Reply to @sincere18: The truth is that sex sells. Almost everybody likes sex and good looking people attracts attention. You just have to turn the tv on. Many ads show people with nice bodies and almost no clothes, when they’re selling cars, drinks, perfumes, or any other article. And those companies pay the best marketers to get their ads done.

So, I don’t find that unreasonable trying to use the same tactics on Fiverr. Doing so, probably the seller changes the target audience, but the new audience is broad.

I just got word (two words actually) back from one of the customers and he basically told me to eat [insert expletive here] so I welcomed him to report, LOL. Sheesh some ppl are just bell ends and don’t deserve the time of day, let alone your help!

Reply to @r3k0d3d: first of all… haha i hate those kinds of buyers. And yeah give them the end of the week! ugh those buyers acting like they’re all that. hahaha. (Let’s hope they’re just on break or something so they’ll come back and still actually proceed to buy your gig haha)

Reply to @sincere18: I didn’t give them the work for “free” at all, just a small sample and there’s no way they could pawn it off as their own work when the watermark is a floating video in the center of the video, as anyone who knows anything about videos and watermarks they’re IMPOSSIBLE to remove, especially if they’re animated, only way is to blur it out and if it’s in the center of the video like mine, it will render the video completely useless to view, I know what I’m doing, trust me :stuck_out_tongue:

Reply to @emasonwrites: The main reason I give them samples/previews is so they know EXACTLY what they’re getting, so there’s proof that they liked and accepted the gig, so if they bail, I can fwd their WRITTEN contract to Fiverr, it’s to protect my butt more than anything else and makes them look foolish if they try and pull the wool over me, plus genuine buyers like to try before they buy, I like to give them a working trial so to say, there’s nothing worse than seeing something advertised, only to get something completely different once you buy it, which sad to say, a lot of sellers do on here, I personally do not want to be one of them. :slight_smile:

Reply to @r3k0d3d: but in reality you are giving them the sample before they order the gig, so I am not sure why you are saying that that means there is proof that they liked and accepted the gig. They do not have to accept anything if they do not actually go through with buying the gig.

And while I understand what you mean about try before you buyg, that’s just not the case with many arts related thing. The problem is that many people, buyers but also sellers, don’t always know how to communicate what they see in their head. Many buyers who are new to buying anything creative do not have any idea how to communicate effectlvely what they want. And there are some sellers who also don’t request enough detailed info either.

bUt hey, if your workflow you have going on is working for you then just keep at it. But you are going to have a few people like this show up. There are even buyers who order a gig, then do a cancel order after it’s been delivered or a charge back a month later, and hte money gets deduct from your account. That hopefully doesn’t happen more than once in a blue moon but it does happen, some scammer type buyers have many tactics on how to get work for free.

Reply to @sincere18: OK let me break it down so there’s no confusion, they send me their source files before they buy the gig, I convert one or a few for samples, usually around 30secs - 1min, add a watermark that they can’t remove, I send it back, “if” they like what they see, they reply back usually stating that they really like or love the samples and would like to purchase the gig <— That is the proof, it’s a written contract that they like my product and want to purchase it, so when they do purchase it, I have evidence that they approved and knew perfectly well what they were buying from the start, so cancelling an order for nefarious reasons on their behalf only makes them looks foolish if I choose not to mutually accept their cancellation, unless they really have a valid reason for doing so but all I have to do is send Fiverr the proof of their message and I’m no lawyer but I do believe the law would be in my favor? That is of course if I don’t deliver my product to the standard of the sample I sent them, which it always will be, if not better, sometimes I tweak things or use filters to make videos look better but I always tell them that and send another sample to make sure that’s what they want?
I hope that makes sense? :slight_smile:

Reply to @r3k0d3d: Oh, I understood what you are doing in terms of work flow and watermarks that is not an issue, but I think you are confusing regular freelance “law” with how FIverr works, they are not the same. If you were working independently on your own, a trail of email messages “could” possibly hold up in a court of law if you had to take them to court for non-payment of a gig because those messages are an implied contract.

That is not true here on Fiverr. Your contract begins when a buyer actually purchases a gig. You are making an assumption that any messages BEFORE a gig is purchased would actually hold up as proof for anything on Fiverrs end if the buyer does not choose to pay or cancels an order. Your protection here on this site, starts when a buyer actually pays for the gig, not what happens before.

I would be interested to hear what others have to say about this aspect.

Reply to @belengarcia: I agree, and that is a good point about the reseller. There is a lot of that on Fiverr especially with videos.

Reply to @sophiacr7: That happens all the time buyers may not respond right away. But I think you have some problems with your gigs. You say you do not do nudity or anything sexual for your sign holding gig in your video, but the pictures of you are in a bathroom, in lingerie which IS very sexual. Do you not realize how much sex stuff you are putting out there, or was it intentional? And I do not understand why you have those tight clothed full body shots for your translation gigs, that makes no sense. How about a more professional business shot of just your face, maybe wearing a blazer, and a photo of text with two paragraphs on it, Spanish and English?

Reply to @belengarcia: of course any conversation, especially written, has value, if someone specifically states in writing that they like your product/service and guarantee they are going to purchase it, that has merit and will always work in your favor as a seller, Fiverr would be selling sellers short if they didn’t take that into consideration, the seller would basically have no rights if they couldn’t use written evidence to back them up and prove they’re in the right, just like for any other business.
Point in case Buyer replies to you saying they love your sample and will definitely purchase your gig, they end up doing so, you send a confirmation a bit later asking if they liked the finished product and they confirm, then an hour later they say they don’t like it and don’t really have a valid excuse and want a refund, obviously trying to get it for free, you refuse to mutually accept their cancellation because you have every right to as you have written evidence stating the complete opposite of what they’re saying now! It doesn’t matter if they changed their mind, that’s not your fault, you completed what they wanted and they confirmed it was what they wanted, twice to I might add, so at the end of the day, you have proof that makes them look foolish for cancelling and that has to work in your favor. :slight_smile:

Reply to @sophiacr7: It’s annoying isn’t it? I’ve had two buyers that promised to order gigs almost a week a go and I’ve sent them a few msgs asking if they still want it, if not, by the end of the week, I’m deleting their work and moving on, all I asked for was a simple yes or no and they can’t even give me that, even when I KNOW they’re online, so rude! :frowning: