Use color psychology to improve your gig

michal247

“Color is a power which directly influences the soul.” ― Wassily Kandinsky

Do you know why every water bottle is blue? Why every traffic “Stop” sign is red? It’s because different colors make people feel different emotions. Water bottle is blue, because it looks more trustworthy. Would you drink from a water bottle that it’s color is black? I would not even think about buying one. Every traffic “STOP” sign is red, so it will focus driver attention and make him more alert.

I learned that when I was studying web design and Im still using it today on my websites. If i would be making layout for doctor’s website or payment service company I would totally go on blue with white. Ecology Party Website? There you go green, your turn…

You can see color psychology used everywhere, because it’s so effective. There are artist, companies, politics that are using it. You can use it on your main gig image, so you can affect potential buyers emotions! You could just change colors on it and make your gig more effective. Okay Michał, but I have 5 orders and no time to read so much. I get it and I value your time.

Below I will list most important colors and when to use them. You can read more about color psychology online, as im not psychologist 😁

Red: Increases attention, passion and energy. You can use it for:

• Making your gig more noticeable
  • Bring more attention to important informations
  • Warnings

Blue: Increases calmness, trust and safety. You can use it for:

• Making your gig more trustworthy
  • Make your products look safer
  • Help your clients feel more secure

Orange: Increases friendliness and energy. You can use it for:

• Making your gig look more friendly
  • Make your product look more unique
  • Find younger target audience

White: Increases easiness and simplicity. You can use it for:

• Make your gig look simpler to understand
  • Make your products look more clean (perfect choice for toothpaste, soap)
  • Make your clients feel calmer

Yellow: Increases mood and passion. You can use it for:

• Make your gig feel more passionate
  • Make your clients feel more comfortable

Green: Increases naturalness and healthness. You can use it for:

• Environmentalist theme
  • Make your product feel more natural

Part 2: How to choose colors for your gig image?

• Like 572
  • Up 10
  • Thanks 34

Hi, Is there any colour combination for engineering draftsman, just asking.

Hi, your job is important and requires skills. I would recommend using blue to make you associate with trustability. Blue goes well with many colors, most important is that it needs to contrast. I personally love blue & white combination, as it looks professional and clear at the same time. 🙂

• Like 203
  • Up 8
  • Thanks 4

Guest badhon290

I search lot’s of time about color psychology, But i don’t find any good tips, But from now i got some idea about color 🙂
Thanks for nice sharing 😃

WOW, @michal247 , you’ve just stolen my words. 🙂
I’ve done really great on Fiverr since 2017. But I realized when I changed all my gig images from mixed colors to blue and white with yellow bordered lines noticed a sudden increase in my sales.
I love blue because I feel it’s more like a life-saving color. Literally this is what I do for my clients. I always go extra miles to help buyers as much as I can and make them feel relax.

Well, thank you so so much, @michal247, for sharing such an amazing post.

Keep it up.

• Like 182
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 1

How about black and white for a voice over gig?

I would not recommend this combination as black and white will not help you get noticed, which is important when it comes to gigs. I would go with yellow-white combination or yellow-black. You can also try something with orange, which would look great aswell in your particular gig.

• Like 169
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 1

Good recap!

The use of colors in advertising was one of my favorite segments in my marketing class. I remember the chapter covering the topic was easily the second most referenced for the semester final group project. (Most referenced was the 4Ps.) Some good memories there, so thanks for the nostalgia!

Some of the colors differ in meaning from what I remember, but I also recall there’s sometimes cultural differences that can affect a color’s meaning. 

• Like 200
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 7

Good recap!

The use of colors in advertising was one of my favorite segments in my marketing class. I remember the chapter covering the topic was easily the second most referenced for the semester final group project. (Most referenced was the 4Ps.) Some good memories there, so thanks for the nostalgia!

Some of the colors differ in meaning from what I remember, but I also recall there’s sometimes cultural differences that can affect a color’s meaning.

Wow, that sounds great. It was good school for sure 🙂

• Like 152
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 4

On 2/15/2020 at 4:44 AM, photocutter92 said:

Those are very important and valuable tips. Thank you very much! ? I have never received orders for the some colors I used. :thinking:

😇 Can you give me an idea of the colors of my gig images? 😊 Great help!

Hi @photocutter92,

Your gigs may seem more technical, but I think that they will work better when you are gonna make them look more creative. Even if it’s only photoshop editing, it’s still linked with photography which needs creativity. And if your gigs will look more passionate and not just “Give me money I will give you work” it is always better i think. So I would experiment with bright colors like orange or yellow. When you will use bright colors you need to use dark font color, most likely black or dark grey so it will contrast properly. I personally love websites with orange main color and totally black (#000000 hex) as secondary color for text. But for your gig most importantly I would advise to make it more intuitive. I cover that topic here: Stop filling your gig image with informations!

Hope that helps 🙂 

• Like 154
  • Sad 2
  • Up 8
  • Thanks 4

Hi @photocutter92,

Your gigs may seem more technical, but I think that they will work better when you are gonna make them look more creative. Even if it’s only photoshop editing, it’s still linked with photography which needs creativity. And if your gigs will look more passionate and not just “Give me money I will give you work” it is always better i think. So I would experiment with bright colors like orange or yellow. When you will use bright colors you need to use dark font color, most likely black or dark grey so it will contrast properly. I personally love websites with orange main color and totally black (#000000 hex) as secondary color for text. But for your gig most importantly I would advise to make it more intuitive. I cover that topic here: Stop filling your gig image with informations!

Hope that helps 🙂

Hi @michal247

😇 They’re very useful for me to fix my gigs. I got so much information from the other link you sent. Thank you very much for giving me your precious time.

• Like 144
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

This topic is part 2 of Use color psychology to improve your gig. If you didn’t read it, please do it before you get into this one as I covered many color basics over there. Many people got interested in this topic and this is why I made continuation. Now enough chit-chat 🙂

Colors on computer monitor are made by combination of 3 basic colors: red, green and blue.

We can use currently 16,777,216 colors in web and there are three popular methods of choosing colors in most graphic tools. It’s important to understand them, because you may have graphic tool where there is no color picker, and you may need to insert color values manually. I discovered also that using this methods often finds much better color shades 😉 You need to know about them too if you want to use color palettes tools which will help you find great shades of colors. And this topic is a must know knowledge for somebody that works as a web developer or graphic designer.

RGB - Red, Green, Blue

Values of colors red, green and blue are inserted as numbers within 0 to 255 of each color.

Examples:

• 255, 166, 0
    sadfsafasfsasadasassa.jpg.c2edac935907666dd7dcae9e589c887b.jpg

• 0, 47, 255
    sadfsafasfsasadasassasda.jpg.92461a3b233448e21a2380d12546670a.jpg

• 255, 0, 144
    sadfsafasfsasadasassasdasda.jpg.2f6eb37cb9b001b5aee0a411a9ea9ced.jpg

HEX - hexadecimal

Values of colors red, green, blue are inserted in hexadecimal values. Every color have 2 numbers in value. Values from smallest to largest: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F. Letters don’t need to be caps.

Examples:

• #FF0000
    sadfsafasfsa.jpg.18cca5864be74944d549dc0c82b52916.jpg

• #00FFD8
    sadfsafasfsasadas.jpg.d97f7e21fc3f67f2cd585aff611cda1f.jpg

• #E500FF
    sadfsafasfsasadasas.jpg.309ab1cb5732218fe2db0282922f7647.jpg

Predefined colors

You can also use predefined color names. Now i don’t recommend this method as it allows only 147 basic colors, which is really limited number considering other methods.

Examples:

• Red
    sadfsafasfsa.jpg.18cca5864be74944d549dc0c82b52916.jpg

• MediumSeaGreen
    sadfsafasfsasadasassasdassada.jpg.5eb99ae2dc653fcb224e263455b5a088.jpg

• CornflowerBlue
    sadfsafasfsasadassaassdsasdassada.jpg.b2a5e6ee686abf4d39d005f481ccf8da.jpg

• Like 259
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

Just to add some other choices -

Purple - associated with royalty, premium, luxury. High end, exclusive services and products work well with purple.

Black - associated with authority, power, stability - there’s a reason all the Pro branding is using black, instead Fiverr’s green.

Brown - it’s the color of the earth, so it is approachable, “real”, concrete, solid.

• Like 134
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 3

• 4 months later...

ghostwrite-battle-rap-lyrics-for-you

Got that red in there to increase attention, passion and energy. :+1:t3:

Interesting read even though it was an older post.

I want you to make all my gig images from now on. Also, I love how you are also known as Marty McFly. Awesome image!

• Like 118
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

I want you to make all my gig images from now on. Also, I love how you are also known as Marty McFly. Awesome image!

😂 I made that image on my phone while waiting for my train to pull up. Marty McFly is my actual pen/rap name but when I signed up on Fiverr I didn’t plan on using it as a platform for ghostwriting.

• Like 119
  • Up 6

😂 I made that image on my phone while waiting for my train to pull up. Marty McFly is my actual pen/rap name but when I signed up on Fiverr I didn’t plan on using it as a platform for ghostwriting.

I made that image on my phone while waiting for my train to pull up.

Now I know how my grandmother used to feel when she used to say “kids these days.” The most creative thing I can do with a smartphone is take a selfie that makes me look like one of the FBI’s 10 most wanted.

Already looking for you on Sound Cloud Marty!

• Like 126
  • Up 9

I made that image on my phone while waiting for my train to pull up.

Now I know how my grandmother used to feel when she used to say “kids these days.” The most creative thing I can do with a smartphone is take a selfie that makes me look like one of the FBI’s 10 most wanted.

Already looking for you on Sound Cloud Marty!

FBI’s 10 most wanted

:rofl: You can do better than that, at least aim for the Top 3 most wanted.

• Like 125

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 12:00 PM, kerisun said:

What is the best way to convert a color palette to HTML code? For example I found this plugin the color picker chrome [link] What do you think about it?

I don’t know never used it, but in description it says that this plugin can provide RGB so you should look for that option 😉 

• Like 133
  • Congrats! 2
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

This is incredibly useful information.I am noticing a pattern on one of my gigs and it tallies with your revelation. I have one question for you. Is it okay to use the same color or color theme for all your gigs?

• Like 116
  • Thanks 1

This is incredibly useful information.I am noticing a pattern on one of my gigs and it tallies with your revelation. I have one question for you. Is it okay to use the same color or color theme for all your gigs?

Why not? :man_shrugging: This is what i’m doing currently

• Like 114
  • Thanks 5