Vacation Mode: Limited to 28 days a year

ryangillam

I just posted this in ranting pot, but I am going to mention it here as a tip for sellers.

Vacation Mode is limited to 28 days each year. Once you hit that limit (as I did today) you can no longer turn your vacation mode on. This means that you have little choice but to pause your gigs (which ruins your position in the Fiverr search AND buyers will not be able to be notified when the gig is active again)

This is without a doubt the silliest idea ever. I mean; it turns Fiverr into pretty much a ‘full time’ job. I mean, why do Fiverr have the right to say I can only vacation for 28 days each year? I have been using the vacation mode to slow down the rate in which orders are coming in, and I have been using it to great success. I now have no way (bar pausing) to control these orders, and that means things are going to become late.

I am going on a vacation later on this month. I can’t flick that switch and turn it on any more letting people know where I am. The result: people will just skip me over.

So yeah, only use Vacation Mode if you absolutely must.

I had the same issue. I used it 2 days a week to keep my orders regulated and then got hit with the limit, which was not mentioned when using vacation mode. A message stating “you have 10 days left” would have been helpful. I like the idea of vacation mode, however the limit is extremely frustrating. Now I am back to scrambling to keep up with my orders and I now cannot take an actual vacation without losing my level.

evolution20 said:
Would extending the delivery days help alleviate this problem? or does that factor in to ranking/search as well?

Rate this commentVote Up0Vote Down

You can extend the delivery times, but that does not allow you to take an extended vacation :( I think the maximum delivery time is roughly 28 days. You will also have messages still coming in that have to be answered otherwise you will be 'punished' by the average response time going up.

Ryan is right - very true - people won’t order if you take a long time to respond.

(Or don’t respond at all - which is the case for a SURPRISING number of Sellers I’ve contacted!)

😮

The question then becomes: How long is too long?

I can only answer for my own case, as a Big Buyer:

Low # of hours - I’m impressed! 🙂

High # of hours - I just assume you’re in a different timezone, far from the “Internet Capital” of Planet Earth: Eastern Standard Time

One day - I’m ok with that.

More than one day - I’m leery of that. It makes me think, "What will happen if I buy a gig from this person, there’s a problem, and they only respond in DAYS!??"

So yeah, I probably will NOT buy. (As Ryan correctly stated above.)

Guest deathbycookies

I definitely agree with the turning it into a full time job comment. When you really invest your time in Fiverr it feels like you are your own boss and this really slashes that down.

Oh no!!!

I’ve used Vacation mode Twice already… The summer is coming up I will be taking a 27 day vacation.

I can’t let it not allow me to take that vacation or my whole stats will drop!

FIVERR: Please take into consideration all your fellow sellers who can’t have a 28 day limit!

Seriously?

If they’re going to insist on limiting vacation days, they should at least inform you when you’re setting vacation mode. It shouldn’t have to be a surprise when you’ve used 28 days of vacation.

I had turned vacation mode on for my three weeks of exams, but now I’m going to have to turn it off so I don’t use it all in one go.

kjblynx said:
I knew there was a limit at the start. It was announced with the feature on the blog, and I remember seeing it when I looked at activating it previously.

It said it in the announcement (which not everybody is going to read), but it does not show it when you flick vacation mode on and off until the 28 day time limit is up.

miacmht said:
I've just seen someone using it and "will be back in 49 days". Probably not the amount of days but time? Like 28 times to turn it off and on?

Nope, it is 28 days total. I have been turning it on and off for the past few months at regular intervals (mainly to let new orders come in from regular customers). You can't actually set the vacation for longer than 28 days (as far as I know) so no idea how somebody had 49 days. They must have put that in themselves.

You can turn off your gigs too. Honestly I did it all the time when I had appointment with my doctor. I had a month in hospital and I had to cancel quite a lot of orders. Vacation mode did help me that time, but now I have no longer any day so I choose to suspend my gigs in need.

I find this very frustrating. I use Fiverr as a part time job when I’m bored or looking for something to do. So far it has proved helpful and I really enjoy writing but I cannot afford to use this as a full time job. So far I have had work every day and its been 7 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived