Very Bad Situation with a Seller

paulomarciano

I bought a gig with somebody to develop an android app for me. Some time went by, and the guy was not able to do it in time so I asked for a refund. The problem is, the method I paid him in my country does not allow me to have the money back, only credits on my Fiverr balance.

So I reached him and asked if I could buy his gig again and as soon as he received the money he would transfer me outside of Fiverr so that I could have the money back.
He discussed some fees involved, and I ended up accepting five orders from him that matched the total cost of the app he would develop in the first place(250$). I even left great remarks on his gig to boost his account.

He said he would contact me on the day he received the money (December 23) and then transfer me back. I know that’s probably my fault for being gullible enough to believe in the seller, and that asking for this kind of request is not by any means a right thing to do on Fiverr, but I needed the money back, and I figured that would be the only option since CS could not do anything because of my payment method.

The thing is, the seller does not show up online since his last message on December 09, and neither he answers my messages. So I am stuck in a bad situation, without any app developed and without any of my money back.

I bought a gig with somebody to develop an android app for me. Some time went by, and the guy was not able to do it in time so I asked for a refund. The problem is, the method I paid him in my country does not allow me to have the money back, only credits on my Fiverr balance.

So I reached him and asked if I could buy his gig again and as soon as he received the money he would transfer me outside of Fiverr so that I could have the money back.

He discussed some fees involved, and I ended up accepting five orders from him that matched the total cost of the app he would develop in the first place(250$). I even left great remarks on his gig to boost his account.

He said he would contact me on the day he received the money (December 23) and then transfer me back. I know that’s probably my fault for being gullible enough to believe in the seller, and that asking for this kind of request is not by any means a right thing to do on Fiverr, but I needed the money back, and I figured that would be the only option since CS could not do anything because of my payment method.

The thing is, the seller does not show up online since his last message on December 09, and neither he answers my messages. So I am stuck in a bad situation, without any app developed and without any of my money back.

he received the money he would transfer me outside of Fiverr so that I could have the money back.

• Fiverr does not provide protection for users who interact outside of the Fiverr platform.

The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page which everyone needs to read before buying or selling on Fiverr.

You’re not getting your money back, I’m sorry to say.

The person is a new seller with you being his only customer. The reviews were left 4 weeks ago. If you complain to CS and get his profile banned, he has no reputation or sales to lose. Plus, he’s already got your money cleared 2 weeks ago.

since CS could not do anything because of my payment method.

Did you contact CS regarding this? Because there is a lot that can be done to transfer your money back to you. It sure may take longer than usual, but it is totally possible, regardless of the country.

I don’t see why you’d trust a seller who didn’t do as promised in the beginning.

Wouldn’t it have been a better option to ask a real-life friend or relative instead?

I’m not 100% sure, but Fiverr might still be able to retrieve your money, especially if you discussed the reviews and everything on the platform. However, there is also a chance you’ll not get anything back and lose your account too.

It’s up to you whether to take that chance or not!

Wow.

You were burned by the seller when he didn’t deliver on your original order. Instead of using your credits to hire a different, reputable seller on Fiverr to actually complete your needs, you returned to the original seller who burned you, concocted a ToS violating plan for him to transfer credits into money and funnel the money back to you outside Fiverr, and accepted 5 fake orders and gave fake great feedback, which also violates ToS.

It seems this seller is not banned as of yet, but I doubt he’ll care, because his gig and profile are likely sacrificial in order to con gullible, rule-breaking buyers like yourself.

The seller is a *** but you have no one but yourself to blame in placing yourself in such a situation.

since CS could not do anything because of my payment method.

Did you contact CS regarding this? Because there is a lot that can be done to transfer your money back to you. It sure may take longer than usual, but it is totally possible, regardless of the country.

I don’t see why you’d trust a seller who didn’t do as promised in the beginning.

Wouldn’t it have been a better option to ask a real-life friend or relative instead?

I’m not 100% sure, but Fiverr might still be able to retrieve your money, especially if you discussed the reviews and everything on the platform. However, there is also a chance you’ll not get anything back and lose your account too.

It’s up to you whether to take that chance or not!

I sent them a Support Request for a refund of my balance credits and after some days I only received an automated message that the refund was already processed and that the request was labeled as solved. I paid with ‘Boleto’, and after that, I looked upon the FAQ, and those who pay with this method only get the money in their Fiverr Balance.

Wow.

You were burned by the seller when he didn’t deliver on your original order. Instead of using your credits to hire a different, reputable seller on Fiverr to actually complete your needs, you returned to the original seller who burned you, concocted a ToS violating plan for him to transfer credits into money and funnel the money back to you outside Fiverr, and accepted 5 fake orders and gave fake great feedback, which also violates ToS.

It seems this seller is not banned as of yet, but I doubt he’ll care, because his gig and profile are likely sacrificial in order to con gullible, rule-breaking buyers like yourself.

The seller is a *** but you have no one but yourself to blame in placing yourself in such a situation.

Yeah, I understand completely. It’s on me. I acted on impulse. I could have done it in another way. But I got scared I would not get my money back and figured it would be better to talk with the seller again. It turned out to be the worst idea.

I sent them a Support Request for a refund of my balance credits and after some days I only received an automated message that the refund was already processed and that the request was labeled as solved. I paid with ‘Boleto’, and after that, I looked upon the FAQ, and those who pay with this method only get the money in their Fiverr Balance.

Here´s a snippet out of Payment Terms:

Refunds
  • Fiverr does not automatically refund payments made for canceled orders back to your payment provider. Funds from order cancellations are returned to the Buyer’s Fiverr Balance and are available for future purchases on Fiverr. Until January 1, 2019, funds returned to your Fiverr Balance from canceled orders will not include service fees paid. As of January 1, 2019, Fiverr returns service fees to your Fiverr Balance once an order is canceled. In any event, if the service fees were not returned to your Fiverr Balance following an order cancelation, such service fees’ amount will be exempted from your next purchase on Fiverr.

• Deposit refunds (i.e. refunds directly to your payment provider) can be performed by our Customer Support team, based on the Order’s original payment amount and currency. To prevent fraud and abuse, we limit the total amount of times users can request a payment provider refund, which is subject to review by our Customer Support team. Such refunds may be subject to an additional fee.

As you can read, refunds from order cancellations are always credited in Fiverr Balance but you may ask CS for refund directly to payment provider (“Boleto”?).

You lost money but also may lose account for ToS violation.

That´s cost for not reading the terms.

Here´s a snippet out of Payment Terms:

Refunds
  • Fiverr does not automatically refund payments made for canceled orders back to your payment provider. Funds from order cancellations are returned to the Buyer’s Fiverr Balance and are available for future purchases on Fiverr. Until January 1, 2019, funds returned to your Fiverr Balance from canceled orders will not include service fees paid. As of January 1, 2019, Fiverr returns service fees to your Fiverr Balance once an order is canceled. In any event, if the service fees were not returned to your Fiverr Balance following an order cancelation, such service fees’ amount will be exempted from your next purchase on Fiverr.

• Deposit refunds (i.e. refunds directly to your payment provider) can be performed by our Customer Support team, based on the Order’s original payment amount and currency. To prevent fraud and abuse, we limit the total amount of times users can request a payment provider refund, which is subject to review by our Customer Support team. Such refunds may be subject to an additional fee.

As you can read, refunds from order cancellations are always credited in Fiverr Balance but you may ask CS for refund directly to payment provider (“Boleto”?).

You lost money but also may lose account for ToS violation.

That´s cost for not reading the terms.

Boleto it’s a paying method in my country. (https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360014964857-Paying-with-Boleto?segment=buyer)

Are there any refunds for Boleto?

There are no refunds for Boleto. If an order is cancelled, the funds will be available for use in your Fiverr Balance.

You are already within the worst case scenario. Reporting to CS the numerous ToS violations both you and the buyer committed will simply cause the deletion of both of your accounts. As I mentioned before, the seller likely doesn’t care, as he is a nobody on the platform and could whip up a new account in moments to fraud more buyers.

Okay, that’s a sticky situation.

I suggest you contact the CS as soon as possible and tell them the whole story; along with the screenshot regarding Boleto. They might be able to retrieve the money using Paypal or seller’s payment method.

But the chances for that to happen are too slim.

Yet it’s worth a try, I guess?

Archived