Fiverr Community Forum

Very hurt by a rude customer. Need a Rant

Hello, I own a small interior design studio and the main designer, that works along two others (that do other work than designing) I have been on the lovely fiverr now for over 2 years and always things are improving. BUT I have had a handful of clients who are so rude… and difficult. Yesterday I had one where I lost sleep on.

The client:
Her request was that I work with what she had, suggest a new paint as what she had now did not match anything. She had a very small budget also and a very tiny living room with only one layout style possible (that she has now). We explored this.
In her design, I found matching furniture (to her own) to use in the plan. This is so she can get a good feel of how the accessories match hers. Now keep in-mind, when she ordered, she had access to my portfolio, she can see our work from a Movie we have as a fiverr ad and she can see many works from the upload of other clients. SO, from the first delivery, she did not even use the request Revision! Or talk to me on how something was not right or needed to be changed. It’s true and normal not to get something right first time with interior design work and we do expect revisions with our work. But she automatically did something unusual. She requested a revision over 28 days and ill copy and past her exact words: Because what she delivers was not what i asked. I even mentioned that i wanna work with the items that i have. It just feels very immutare to me, this is how i make my own mood-board in Indesign. I think you can not ask 50 euro for this.

A pure insult:
We did indeed work with her own furniture, it was there in the design to show the matching style. We had a shopping list of links to match her small budget with the accessories (not the furniture) so no way can she confuse that. And as a matter of fact, we don’t even use a mood board program at all, we make all our own templates and edits as we work with so many furniture stores and so many different clients. We have to setup each template to match the client… Indesign is an Adobe template program that a lot of designers do use anyway, but not us. We are old school and we stand out. We do it all from scratch. We also use one paint brand for our clients with HEX codes so they can use any brand. We gave a visual on her paint with the new products (so it all matches) and another choice of paint AND an added feature wall idea if she wished. Both would match also the new accessories.

Back to the story:
After the delivery. We waited 2 days. Then yesterday she sent us this dispute. I was in a little shock… not normal… but she was still online, we asked her very politely and with apologies, what was the misunderstanding? I asked in a business manner what was it she wanted also? We got nothing back. She lives in my own country and I waited several hours. Nothing till 11pm.

We had a late night discussion about it and decided to cancel the order as we can see how her attitude is, it’s very bad and her main complaint was how we delivered our work. Called 5 hours of work childish. I was not going to spend another several hours on her plan, for her to give a bad rating or to keep us working. So at 11pm, I cancelled the order, explained to her, with her comment I see it wont work if we do more. And I added that we don’t use a mood-board program, and even told her all the best. SHE CANCELLED IN MINUTES! But did not bother to answer our questions on what was exactly wrong?

But sleeping on it she was in for a free ride from the start. Very hurtful and very damaging to Fiverr and the sellers here. What can we do about this? I have a ton of work today, no sleep… I need coffee… I have a LARP event online tonight… not sure if I can make that…
I feel very disillusioned also on what was said. It makes me question my ability to design. Yes I am sulking.

I need a hug! Kelly-Marie.

4 Likes

So sorry this happens to you but this is a business and we have to be prepared for the behavior like this.

3 Likes

Agreed, why my title states (RANT). But it is stealing.

2 Likes

Yes it is steeling and very painful for a creator but still what can we do.

2 Likes

Yes. that is a whole other discussion lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She probably wanted her money back after the pandemic.
She got what she wanted.

1 Like

Buyers show no respect to sellers they think that we are their slaves.If they are investing their money we are investing our time we ignore our health our sleep everything and at the end we get only insult.2 weeks ago one buyer contact me on fiverr is project was quite big i told him i will do your project in 50$ he said no i can’t afford i agreed on his budget later he come with more requirements i told him i will charge you 100$.He started insulting me he said you sellers are very greedy i told him your project is big i can’t do it in this budget please hire someone else he insulted me again but i replied him very politely.After 19 days he again texted me that i found the extension myself you are very greedy etc.I reported to fiverr i hope fiverr will take action against him.
We are also humans we are freelancers we will decide how much we charge for project.

5 Likes

I hear you! Please don’t take the buyer’s comments personally. I know us creatives do - but we shouldn’t. Also, have faith in your skills and experience. I reckon you already know that you’re great at what you do, but I also know how negative experiences like this can momentarily destroy you and make you question why you bother. Been there!

The sad thing is that some ‘buyers’ only want something for free and know how to play the system. They can ‘raise the temperature’ of the discussion to such a point where they strike fear into the seller. The buyer might not be blatantly threatening bad feedback, but they know the seller will be terrified about this prospect. It’s a pressure technique - and not a nice one.

In my humble opinion a buyer who isn’t prepared to discuss an issue over an order in a reasonable way is someone who wants something for free. They never had any intention of paying for the order.

Again, in my opinion, it is sometimes best to cut your losses and cancel an order. You win the moral argument, although sadly the other person gets what they wanted for free.

Talking of free, virtual hugs on here are just that, so have one from England. :hugs:

5 Likes

I agree with you to some point. Not all buyers are like this. Only a few. But those bad poopy buyers, can’t expect us to give hours of work for so many $$$ (it’s not worth $50… wow…) or keep going with changes for a $50 gig when we already put in hours and hours of work… Mind you, I do, do it. But this female yesterday, did not even ask for a revision. I’m not even sure what it was, she was asking for. She would not tell me. But regards to the money… and time lost, there is another issue THEY don’t get… and that’s TAX. For me it’s 21% of my earnings as I am a registered business, and then another 20% to fiverr. Not to mention bank transfer fees and other small costs :-/ Please don’t confuse me of complaining about this platform… no way! FIVERR needs to charge ofcourse!! And I love the extra work that FIVERR gives really do, and I love fiverr for it…Fiverr is a blessing for many, in countries that don’t have high tax, so they can be seen as a work angel. BUT it’s about poops who don’t get it who expects slave labour… I will mention also I do charge double and almost triple with my work that’s almost identical that I do here, though my website. But I don’t get as much work from that… Anyhow, some buyers don’t get it… their mentality can be brutal and cruel and their intentions evil. BUT many can be so nice also.

1 Like

I’m sorry this happened to you, it’s OK to rant, just let it all out.
At least you’re nice than me, several years ago I ran into this horrible buyer
and I ranted here, I think I said something along the lines of “may that idiot suffer from terrible diarrhea and massive swelling all over the face and body for the next 48 hours” or something like that :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

I’m glad to hear that your overall Fiverr experience is good and the majority of your
buyers are nice, respectful decent human beings.
Get yourself a nice cup of coffee or tea, glass of wine, anything that makes you feel better. And here’s a virtual hug from Tokyo. :hugs:

5 Likes

HAHA - oo you made me laugh Zeus777. yeah i said worse in real (what you said, i did 10x…) and to my mmo friends ive known for aaages… they are good for a rant! Oooo Tokyo. I used to live in Omyia, Saitma. :slight_smile:

Hello, I am really sorry to hear that this thing happen. Can I also rant on your topic? I don’t want to open new one as I know this kind of stuff happens to all the seller on Fiverr. Thanks in advance. I have just agreed to cancel the order with some buyer. This person, contacted me before placing the order, with just a question do I want to work with them, after a few hours placed the order, and it was the wrong gig, that has almost nothing in common with what he needs to be done. SO he basically asked for a t shirt designs, on a technical sketch gig. Off course the requirements were not clear . After I asked him what exactly should be done I agreed to finish the order for him. After two revisions he decided to cancel the order today. This is really unbelievable. Now I think I understand why he placed the wrong order. I feel like if I rejected the cancellation the customer service would probably also cancel the order as it’s not the GIG for that kind of design! I feel really bad about my designs skills now. I don’t care about the money, what really got on my nerves is that these kind of clients always place an order before contacting me with details what they need, and it’s always when I am overbooked with projects! KUDOS to all the clients that place the order with all the requirements! There are some really great clients but unfortunately some of them don’t know what they want! :triumph: :triumph: :triumph: :triumph: :triumph: :triumph: Good thing is that these kind of problems don’t happen that often, and we learn to evaluate clients. I have met some really great clients on this platform! I mean, all of my clients are great, but I guess we all have to meet the that other kind of clients as well.

2 Likes

Can I get a virtual hug from Tokyo? I need one and I really love Tokyo :expressionless:

1 Like

I believe in Lady Karma, I’m sure those terrible buyers would face something very
unpleasant very soon. (or maybe they are already so miserable they try to “win” a situation by causing trouble to the sellers)

In the meantime, hugs from Tokyo.

7 Likes

Thank you @zeus777 that’s really nice of you. Virtual hugs from Serbia to all you guys! Keep working hard, and don’t let clients like these to question you abilities!

1 Like

That’s adorable! I love your kimono with the cat paws.

1 Like

Oh I’m so so sorry. Those buyers are brutal. Totally shameless. Ugh.

1 Like

“After the pandemic”?? Please keep in mind that we are nowhere near clear of this coronavirus. Yes, I agree that this client appears to want services for free, and to take out her mood swings on the seller. Not good. Is there a way to block such troubled buyers?

1 Like

You know, I meant when it all got worse. I’m sorry my English is bad.

1 Like

Yes, it sounds like they took advantage of you by buying the wrong gig. That’s a new low - but if this happens, be sure to immediately reach out to CS, screenshot the Buyer saying they need something else, and ask them to cancel so that the Buyer can pay for the correct gig instead. Sorry this happened to you :heart:

1 Like