Video - will my accent put buyers off?

anaspiechick

Greetings Fiverrists,

I know having a video to promote your gig is being touted as a great way to get more orders, but I’m having hang ups…

I’m Australian, and have a broad bogan accent. I’m worried it’ll put buyers off. I’m rubbish at trying to hide it, and getting someone else to voice it seems dishonest.

The videos will be pretty basic anyway, since all I have to work with is a webcam, so between that and the accent I’m worried it’d actually do more harm than good.

Tips? Suggestions? Am I just being paranoid?

I suggest just being yourself and not worrying about your accent. The main thing about Fiverr is that you treat your customers with utmost respect and get the positive feedback from them. That will help you sell more gigs over any problem with an accent. I have purchased gigs from people all over the world.

Bruce

It fully depends on the product/service you are selling.

When it comes to an intro video about your product/service, I don’t think that an australian accent will put people off (unless they are looking for an american of course). If someone is looking fo a native english speaker, then you’re in the same pot at the kiwis, americans, irish, scots, english etc.

For me it’s not the accent, but rather to know where the seller is from. I don’t want to sound racist, but if someone offers me to rewrite a small english article and I have the choice between, an indian, american or australian, I’d obviously go for american or the australian one.

People also often tend to think that products/services offered by someone from a developing country might not be as good as someone from a developed country, and although I wanna give everyone an equal chance, unfortunately I did see some major quality difference between services I bought from india and the USA.

But then again, this is fiverr, and you get what you pay for, and $5 is not much 😉

I’m not a seller yet, but I can tell you from a buyer’s point. When I look for an artist, I am looking for their product only. If you promote your product with enthusiasm, confidence and honesty, and I am looking for what you have to sell, I would buy it. 🙂

• 2 months later...

Archived