Violation! Why?

tatianavolchik

Hi everyone!
I received a violation todays from fiverr. I contacted customer support because I had no idea what I did wrong. I received this answer, “ Users may receive a warning to their account for violations of our Terms of Service, or any user misconduct reported to our Trust and Safety Team. In this case, please be advised that asking the buyers the reason they provided bad feedback is not allowed.”
I never knew that I couldn’t aks my customers why he/she left a negative review and it’s a violation. Especially when This review was a big surprise for me and full of lie about my service! I think that it’s a normal practice to ask customers what you did wrong to make your service better. Or Am I wrong?

It was once acceptable to mention the word “review” in a conversation with buyers as long as you were asking how you could improve your work because you received a poor review or you were asking for a review. I remember when that was okay as long as you did not ask for a 5 review.

However, times have changed and if you hang around the Forum and read what others have to say about using the word “review” in a conversation with buyers you will find that even mentioning that word could get you a TOS violation message. :roll_eyes:

I didn’t ask to write me a review or leave me a

5 star review.

So I even cannot say word “review”?

Wow! So where in their Terms it says that I cannot say word “review”? Or may be they have a list of words that sellers are not allowed to say?

Wow! So where in their Terms it says that I cannot say word “review”?

I do not know that it is in TOS. I only know that several sellers have come to the Forum and claim to have been given warnings for using the word “review” in a message with a buyer.

Or may be they have a list of words that sellers are not allowed to say?

I cannot remember for sure if the word “review” works similar to the word “email.” but I try to avoid using either when I message buyers.

It could even be that your buyer complained to CS. :thinking:

As I understand, I received a violation not because I wrote “review “ but because I asked my customer why he left a nagetive review for me. That I am not allowed to ask this. :roll_eyes:

I received a violation not because I wrote “review “ but because I asked my customer why he left a nagetive review for me.

I play it safe and never use that word.

Though it may not be allowed, I don’t think “asking the buyers the reason they provided bad feedback” is actually something that is listed as not allowed in the terms of service.

The terms of service includes things like:
“Feedback reviews will not be removed unless there are clear violations to our Terms of Service.”.

But if asking the user about a particular review is not allowed maybe they should actually put that in the terms of service. Though they may think it is pressuring the user about the review/rating (when all you may want to know what could have been wrong to help improve your service) or they may think it is rating manipulation. But anything not allowed should really be listed in the TOS.

It was once acceptable to mention the word “review” in a conversation with buyers as long as you were asking how you could improve your work because you received a poor review or you were asking for a review. I remember when that was okay as long as you did not ask for a 5 review.

However, times have changed and if you hang around the Forum and read what others have to say about using the word “review” in a conversation with buyers you will find that even mentioning that word could get you a TOS violation message. :roll_eyes:

Sometimes I thanks my buyers for the review and I never get a warning or got any issue the thing might change if you ask or try to manipulate the review.

The issue, I think, is that the ToS refer to the Policies in several cases, so you must take not only the ToS themselves but also the Policies regarding different stuff into account. The feedback policy says:

Feedback

Once your Gig is complete, buyers leave reviews for other buyers to see. The buyers rate your performance on each Gig. Their feedback is a reflection of their overall experience. Your feedback shouldn’t come as a surprise if you followed our guidelines, provided open, supportive, and positive communication with the buyer throughout the process and performed high quality work. If all these needs were met, you’ll receive great feedback!

• The feedback received from buyers is very important for the overall marketplace.
  • This rating system ensures sellers are accountable for doing a great job and that only the best sellers continue working for buyers.
  • Buyers provide feedback on their experience working with you, and it’s important to acknowledge this feedback and learn from it.
  • Do not manipulate buyers to provide positive feedback.
  • Do not ask buyers to contact Customer Support to remove their rating.

Customer Support only removes feedback, which violates our Terms of Service (TOS).

Feedback that violates our TOS would contain false statements or abuse towards the seller.

It is against Fiverr’s policies for sellers to solicit feedback from Buyers in exchange for refunds, discounts, upgrades or any other type of additional benefit.

As you can see, the “Do not manipulate buyers to provide a positive feedback” bit is a pretty subjective thing and open to interpretation. Some may consider asking what one did wrong and how to make it better manipulation, others not.
Seeing ToS and policies, I suppose if a buyer complains about a seller “harassing” them because of the review they left, it can well result in a warning.

Feedback that violates our TOS would contain false statements or abuse towards the seller.

This here, though, if you can prove that the customer lied, as you say, may, or may not lead to CS removing the review; according to some posts, people had mixed results, but it might be that those who said the buyers lied couldn’t prove it, I don’t know.

Hi,
I understand your frustration. I too would want to know why I received a bad review if I was not deserving of that.
From what I can understand from feedback is more a case of, Its not what you say, But how you say it?
Perhaps a better response would look something like…
“Hi Buyer, Thank you for your feedback. I would disagree with your description of my service delivery as I …(Explain what you did as per request, How you went above and beyond what was expected of you, how you followed instructions and tried to meet buyer needs to the best of your ability) However, Kindly advise what your suggestions would be for a more pleasant experience or for me to improve my service delivery?”
Perhaps something like this, would not be a problem for Fiverr?
Anyway, Just my opinion, I’m no expert.
Have a great day!

• 2 years later...

Fivver is very Buyer inclined,its funny how sellers can't even ask about their review and if they got bad reviews and even more funny that stating the  word review itself is a violation , so basically if a buyer wants me to suffer all he or she has to do is give me a false bad reviews and face no consequences,and my rating gets suffered

Brilliant!

Archived