VOs: Lowering the "full broadcast rights" price increased my revenue

smashradio

Just a quick tip here, and it might just be my own experience. Some of you might have different opinions.

When I lowered the “full broadcast rights” from 50 USD to 30 USD, I got a 100 % increase in orders with this extra.

Previously I never got a single order with full broadcast rights, even though this is partly my fault because I let it slip and gave an OK to “commercial rights.”

I felt asking for 50 USD more on a 20 USD order for broadcast rights wouldn’t be taken well by my buyers.

Now I lowered the price to 30 USD, and the orders with broadcast rights started rolling in.

Might be just luck. But it’s better to have three orders with 30 USD extra for broadcast rights, than three orders without it and the high price point.

Any thoughts?

I agree with your strategy, here.

I used to let property and would occasionally have dealings with an owner who expected too much monthly rental for the value of the property and refused to budge by even a small amount.

It would inevitably mean that their property was empty for a few months, so they had effectively lost more annual revenue than if they’d let it for the cheaper price in the first place!

At this time, I have made another interesting change to my gig to increase upsells and extras.

In addition to lowering the price on my full broadcast rights, I also changed my delivery time from two to three days. What this did for me is bring in 2 new orders with the extra fast delivery added on the order.

Thanks for your feedback! It’s so true what you’re saying @richpmedia!

This is an excellent topic. You found the price sweet spot. What to price things at is tricky and takes trial and error.

I had a gig priced at $65 that sold very well when it was always on the first line of my category but then it was moved to an out of sight position, stopped selling completely, and never recovered.

Now I have it priced at $45 and it again is doing well.

This is an excellent topic. You found the price sweet spot. What to price things at is tricky and takes trial and error.

I had a gig priced at $65 that sold very well when it was always on the first line of my category but then it was moved to an out of sight position, stopped selling completely, and never recovered.

Now I have it priced at $45 and it again is doing well.

Indeed! It’s important to keep updating your gigs and pricing to reflect the market - and your current situation. Because Fiverr keeps changing their algorithm, it’s important to stay on top of the trends like you did with your pricing.

Just as it is for me, getting one order with 45 USD is better than zero orders with 65 USD.

So what happens when people don’t pay for full broadcast rights? Do you deliver the work? How would you even know your buyers aren’t doing whatever they want with your work?

So what happens when people don’t pay for full broadcast rights? Do you deliver the work? How would you even know your buyers aren’t doing whatever they want with your work?

and the dark side of these

is when they have the file they can cancel the order lol

Excellent question!

With VOs it’s usually easy to recognize particular types of scripts. A script meant for radio or TV ads will more often than not have a different style than explainer videos for instance.

Most buyers tend to go for the “commercial rights,” giving them the right to use the VO in non-paid commercial channels (i.e., a business explainer video).

If a client has a script that I feel might be used for paid ads, I will ask them to provide me with some more information regarding the usage of the audio. This is useful in two ways. It indicates the style and presentation of the VO they need, and it tells me which rights they need to purchase.

I always inform my buyers about the buyout options, making it clear that using it outside of the agreement is illegal and unethical.

At the end of the day some buyers will lie, and end up using their VOs for a different purpose, but most buyers will be happy to pay the extra fee. My commercial rights buyout is only 5 USD, and for 90% of my clients, this will give them the rights they need.

If a corporate client needs an ad for paid channels, they generally will have a budget for this type of work that allows them to pay for the correct rights - and because of the risk of legal issues if they don’t - most buyers who need the full broadcast rights will order it.

Excellent question!

With VOs it’s usually easy to recognize particular types of scripts. A script meant for radio or TV ads will more often than not have a different style than explainer videos for instance.

Most buyers tend to go for the “commercial rights,” giving them the right to use the VO in non-paid commercial channels (i.e., a business explainer video).

If a client has a script that I feel might be used for paid ads, I will ask them to provide me with some more information regarding the usage of the audio. This is useful in two ways. It indicates the style and presentation of the VO they need, and it tells me which rights they need to purchase.

I always inform my buyers about the buyout options, making it clear that using it outside of the agreement is illegal and unethical.

At the end of the day some buyers will lie, and end up using their VOs for a different purpose, but most buyers will be happy to pay the extra fee. My commercial rights buyout is only 5 USD, and for 90% of my clients, this will give them the rights they need.

If a corporate client needs an ad for paid channels, they generally will have a budget for this type of work that allows them to pay for the correct rights - and because of the risk of legal issues if they don’t - most buyers who need the full broadcast rights will order it.

If I’m getting voice over done for my website which does NOT sale anything, would commercial use be sufficient vice broadcast?

It’s for a writing forum/community. I’m trying to do a voice over that explains what the community is about on the 1st page.

I guess I’m confused about the fact I’m trying to “sale” the community, (get people to join) but there is no advertisement & I’m not making any money. It’s just a forum, like this one for writers, authors and such.

If I’m getting voice over done for my website which does NOT sale anything, would commercial use be sufficient vice broadcast?

It’s for a writing forum/community. I’m trying to do a voice over that explains what the community is about on the 1st page.

I guess I’m confused about the fact I’m trying to “sale” the community, (get people to join) but there is no advertisement & I’m not making any money. It’s just a forum, like this one for writers, authors and such.

In that instance, I would not think you need any additional rights.

Thank you, Mike.

I was thinking the same thing but wasn’t 100% since the Tos stated broadcast was for, among other things, internet advertising (or something to that effect).

🙂

I take that as legitimate advertising with a sales pitch and an order now button. Your project sounds much more informational…

@gina_riley2 for this purpose, I would think you do not need any additional rights, just like @newsmike said. If you’re not going to make money on it, the commercial rights do not apply in my opinion.

Commercial rights license is for use by a business or to make money on the recording, without using it in paid channels (paid facebook ads, TV, radio etc).

Excellent question!

Well, those are interesting points.

But I can tell you I’m one of those buyers that refuses to pay for a commercial license, I will simply hire someone else.

Also, it isn’t really illegal because Fiverr TOS makes it clear that the work you deliver belongs solely to the buyer, and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Besides, are you really going to hire a lawyer and sue somebody? What if they deny it? What if they use a filter to change your voice so you can’t recognize it?

But I can tell you I’m one of those buyers that refuses to pay for a commercial license, I will simply hire someone else.

Also, it isn’t really illegal because Fiverr TOS makes it clear that the work you deliver belongs solely to the buyer, and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Besides, are you really going to hire a lawyer and sue somebody? What if they deny it? What if they use a filter to change your voice so you can’t recognize it?

Well, actually, according to the TOS, that’s the default. Fiverr makes it clear that all rights to the work created go to the buyer upon delivery, UNLESS the seller notes otherwise in their gig description. The buyer can do whatever he wants with the delivered work, unless the seller creates custom terms that state otherwise.

That’s not really the point, It’s more that most people actually do the right thing and have no trouble paying what something is actually worth. Just because some are cheap or dishonest doesn’t mean that we stop offering the product at its proper price.

Interesting points you make.

Well, if that’s your policy when making orders, I would simply not provide my services to you. I’m one of those sellers who want to get compensated for my time according to which service I offer.

This is because I value my time and effort, and if a business is ordering my services, they can afford the extra five bucks. If they don’t want to spend that extra, they are welcome to choose another seller.

About the legal rights, this is what Fiverr TOS says about commercial rights:

Buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work unless otherwise specified by the seller on their Gig page. Note: some Gigs charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for Commercial Use License. See our “Ownership” and “Commercial Use License.”

Some Gigs (including for custom created work) charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for a Commercial Use License. This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights you require for such use, and will not need the Commercial Use License. If you intend to use it for any charge or other consideration, or for any purpose that is directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit, you will need to buy the Commercial Use License through a Gig Extra and will have broader rights that cover your business use.

Simply put, as a private individual they will own the recording, but as a business, who will use the recording for commercial purposes, this is covered under Fiverr TOS.

That’s that.

If it’s a big client, I just might do that! If I had nothing to gain from that, I would still consider legal actions because the individual/business pissed me off. But as @newsmike so nicely put it; That’s not really the point.

If someone want to misuse my services and not do the right thing, I’m sure they can.

If I catch them, I’ll do everything in my power to make sure they get a slap on the wrist for breaking the agreement and being dishonest.

Thankfully, this isn’t a problem I ever had to face, because, fortunately, most buyers will want to do the right thing, and by doing so, they have their asses covered, and I get proper compensation for my time.

Well, if that’s your policy when making orders, I would simply not provide my services to you. I’m one of those sellers who want to get compensated for my time according to which service I offer.

This is because I value my time and effort, and if a business is ordering my services, they can afford the extra five bucks. If they don’t want to spend that extra, they are welcome to choose another seller.

Buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work unless otherwise specified by the seller on their Gig page. Note: some Gigs charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for Commercial Use License. See our “Ownership” and “Commercial Use License.”

Some Gigs (including for custom created work) charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for a Commercial Use License. This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights you require for such use, and will not need the Commercial Use License. If you intend to use it for any charge or other consideration, or for any purpose that is directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit, you will need to buy the Commercial Use License through a Gig Extra and will have broader rights that cover your business use.

Simply put, as a private individual they will own the recording, but as a business, who will use the recording for commercial purposes, this is covered under Fiverr TOS.

That’s that.

If it’s a big client, I just might do that! If I had nothing to gain from that, I would still consider legal actions because the individual/business pissed me off. But as @newsmike so nicely put it; That’s not really the point.

If someone want to misuse my services and not do the right thing, I’m sure they can.

If I catch them, I’ll do everything in my power to make sure they get a slap on the wrist for breaking the agreement and being dishonest.

Thankfully, this isn’t a problem I ever had to face, because, fortunately, most buyers will want to do the right thing, and by doing so, they have their asses covered, and I get proper compensation for my time.

Exactly, like when you buy a music CD. You own that copy for private listening purposes, you do not own the copyright to the music contained within. You cannot use it in a commercial, or duplicate it and resell it. Same basic idea.

There’s an interesting cross roads between this issue and songwriting that actually does a lot of damage to the value and market of songwriting. While I agree that VO work should circumstantially be sold outright (for a price) I normally never sell my publishing copyright on a song. There isn’t an instance where it makes sense. It doesn’t prevent someone from owning a master or selling… it doesn’t hugely impact profit (.7 cents isn’t gonna determine your wealth)… it doesn’t divide sales of products where that applies…

Sellers have the impression that they need the copyright to sell material. When, in fact, paying for the master means they own the recording. This means I can’t prevent them from selling it and why would I? I can’t make writer royalties if the song doesn’t sell. They aren’t “legally” allowed to re-record the song without my permission…but why would I ever stop them? The nature of the beast is to get as many people to record a song as possible.

Indeed! It’s important to keep updating your gigs and pricing to reflect the market - and your current situation. Because Fiverr keeps changing their algorithm, it’s important to stay on top of the trends like you did with your pricing.

Just as it is for me, getting one order with 45 USD is better than zero orders with 65 USD.

I’ve discovered that the demographics of Fiverr’s advertising campaigns dictates Buyer spending. It comes in waves. Some months Buyers don’t bat an eye at spending and some months it’s nothing but _________!

That’s that.

Do you think my Facebook clients would be happy if I charged a commercial license? If I told them that if the Facebook ads are for commercial purposes, they must pay me $50? I think they would laugh at me.

I guess this is one area I don’t get because none of my competitors are charging for commercial licenses, nor do we sign NDA’s or non-compete’s.

What if I use your voice for my gig video? Wouldn’t I be an individual and a business as well? Or suppose a psychologist creates a hypnosis tape, is he an individual or a business? Personally, I’d rather not bother with that description, and I charge all my clients the same whether they’re the Red Cross or a payday lender, it makes no difference to me.

Do you think my Facebook clients would be happy if I charged a commercial license? If I told them that if the Facebook ads are for commercial purposes, they must pay me $50? I think they would laugh at me.

I guess this is one area I don’t get because none of my competitors are charging for commercial licenses, nor do we sign NDA’s or non-compete’s.

What if I use your voice for my gig video? Wouldn’t I be an individual and a business as well? Or suppose a psychologist creates a hypnosis tape, is he an individual or a business? Personally, I’d rather not bother with that description, and I charge all my clients the same whether they’re the Red Cross or a payday lender, it makes no difference to me.

Do you think my Facebook clients would be happy if I charged a commercial license? If I told them that if the Facebook ads are for commercial purposes, they must pay me $50? I think they would laugh at me

Of course they would! The work you mention in your example is by its very nature a commercial product, meant to be used commercially. This means your price already reflects this fact.

For voice-overs things become more complicated. I do lots of VOs for private individuals. An example is wedding videos, where a private individual will use the recording for a private non-commercial purpose. In this case, I would not charge for commercial rights, because they won’t earn money using my work.

Doing SEO work, marketing, Facebook ad campaigns etc. is by its very nature a commercial service, and you would never add a “commercial license” to it. That is something we agree upon.

What if I use your voice for my gig video? Wouldn’t I be an individual and a business as well?

If you use my voice-over for any business purpose (i.e your gig, your shop, your website selling stuff, or anything related to business use that will earn you money) that falls under the commercial use. It doesn’t matter if your an individual or a corporate enterprise - it’s considered commercial use if you use the product for a business purpose.

Or suppose a psychologist creates a hypnosis tape, is he an individual or a business?

Again, same idea. If he sells the tape, or get paid for using it, it’s commercial.

For voice-overs, the rights issue is different from the types of services you mention.

Prices will vary depending on the usage. A radio commercial to be used on a national radio station, or a voice-over that will be used for TV broadcast will cost more than a voice-over to be used for a wedding ceremony for a private individual.

This is how the market works.

Do you think my Facebook clients would be happy if I charged a commercial license? If I told them that if the Facebook ads are for commercial purposes, they must pay me $50? I think they would laugh at me

Of course they would! The work you mention in your example is by its very nature a commercial product, meant to be used commercially. This means your price already reflects this fact.

For voice-overs things become more complicated. I do lots of VOs for private individuals. An example is wedding videos, where a private individual will use the recording for a private non-commercial purpose. In this case, I would not charge for commercial rights, because they won’t earn money using my work.

Doing SEO work, marketing, Facebook ad campaigns etc. is by its very nature a commercial service, and you would never add a “commercial license” to it. That is something we agree upon.

What if I use your voice for my gig video? Wouldn’t I be an individual and a business as well?

If you use my voice-over for any business purpose (i.e your gig, your shop, your website selling stuff, or anything related to business use that will earn you money) that falls under the commercial use. It doesn’t matter if your an individual or a corporate enterprise - it’s considered commercial use if you use the product for a business purpose.

Or suppose a psychologist creates a hypnosis tape, is he an individual or a business?

Again, same idea. If he sells the tape, or get paid for using it, it’s commercial.

For voice-overs, the rights issue is different from the types of services you mention.

Prices will vary depending on the usage. A radio commercial to be used on a national radio station, or a voice-over that will be used for TV broadcast will cost more than a voice-over to be used for a wedding ceremony for a private individual.

This is how the market works.

Well, thanks for sharing your opinion. I’m going to follow my gut on this one, but good luck to you.

Archived