Want More Sales? .... No Sir!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That depends. I have a senior, highly placed Indian from the U.S. ordering my articles. I call him Sir. That is considered respectful in our culture.

I guess it will depend on the situation, and it is considered respectful in a lot of cultures, but I think we should just use it when we’re 100% sure on the gender especially in the freelance community – otherwise, people will take offense being called sir when they aren’t.

I guess it will depend on the situation, and it is considered respectful in a lot of cultures, but I think we should just use it when we’re 100% sure on the gender especially in the freelance community – otherwise, people will take offense being called sir when they aren’t.

but I think we should just use it when we’re 100% sure on the gender

Well, I hate being called Sir or any other things like Bro, Dear, etc., period. 🙂

So I partly agree with what you said, more specifically I would change the “should” to “could” in your above post.

That’s because ‘Should’ could force people to use Sir when the gender is known, which many don’t like being called that (and I don’t want a surge of Sir-calling people in my Inbox because of that ‘should’ 😅 ), whereas “Could” gives the option to use Sir or not use it, preferably the latter 😛

I must say, I have seen so many words like ‘sir’ or ‘dear’ in many gig descriptions AND here on the forum.

If it’s not an 80-year-old British lady offering me biscuits we can lay off “dear”, that’s for sure. Same with “honey”, “darling” and other greatest hits.

A bit more cultural understanding please! People who write “Sir” they do it because they try to be respectful. This is what they have been taught, this is how they grew up. They have no intention to be rude, they don’t even realize this might be offensive to someone. So don’t be hung up on it, just enjoy their service!

And when I read Dear I run away too. It’s so offensive in some cultures. Like I don’t know you personally so I am not your Dear… Keep distance, we are not friends. We can be collaborator’s at max. I know they are trying to be polite but it ruins everything…

That depends. I have a senior, highly placed Indian from the U.S. ordering my articles. I call him Sir. That is considered respectful in our culture.

I have a senior, highly placed Indian from the U.S. ordering my articles. I call him Sir. That is considered respectful in our culture.

You didn’t write “Sir” in your profile or gig descriptions, though. You only use “Sir” when it’s actually appropriate.

I have a senior, highly placed Indian from the U.S. ordering my articles. I call him Sir. That is considered respectful in our culture.

You didn’t write “Sir” in your profile or gig descriptions, though. You only use “Sir” when it’s actually appropriate.

You didn’t write “Sir” in your profile or gig descriptions, though

Quite right! 🙂

@lloydsolutions started this thread not to discuss how to refer to buyers in messages etc. but how not to word gig descriptions and profiles.

So many sellers use “Sir” in their gig and profile descriptions as if female buyers did not exist.

You didn’t write “Sir” in your profile or gig descriptions, though

Quite right! 🙂

@lloydsolutions started this thread not to discuss how to refer to buyers in messages etc. but how not to word gig descriptions and profiles.

So many sellers use “Sir” in their gig and profile descriptions as if female buyers did not exist.

@catwriter Yeah, good catch…guess I just skim through the posts, never completely read them. Happens many times even with my clients. Have to be more attentive.

True story:

One nice client said recently you did a great job and I wanted to tip you but didn’t because I lost my job. Hope you don’t mind.

I said: Haha, no problem, thanks!

Then I read the job loss part.

Then I made a thousand apologies.

Always gets me into trouble.

[Maybe that’s why I am Writer99025 not Reader99025… food for thought]

Archived