WARNING: ******** Robot Translations

d2earth

Hi all,
This guy ******** is using Google translate on all of his gigs. I asked for a full refund on my last three gigs, but he has so far refused to pay me back. He has instead reported me to Fiverr for giving him my Paypal account to get my money back on old (November 2018) gigs. I understand that it goes against Fiverr policy, but I have no other method.
I have asked Fiverr support for assistance, they are following the case.

Please be aware, this guy is a fraud.

Mod Note: Title & Post edited. user name removed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just issue a chargeback at PayPal. That usually works.

Isn’t that likely to put the OP’s Fiverr account at risk?

CS are already looking into the case. If they believe the OP should be refunded they’ll refund. If they don’t, doing a chargeback is likely to get the OPs account disabled I think.

Filing a transaction dispute or reversing a payment through your payment provider or your bank is a violation to these Terms of Service. Doing so may get your account temporarily or permanently disabled. Note: once you have filed a dispute with your payment provider, the funds will be ineligible for a refund due to our obligations towards the payment provider.

The above is from the Terms of Service which you will find at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

UPDATE: Fiverr refunded me the last gig, but I am fighting to get my previous ones refunded and to be able to place a correct review on his gig…

Wish me good luck!

Are all the previous translations exactly the same as a Google Translate version or do they just have similarities? Are they all bad translations? I assume you are showing support (eg. in a screenshot) a version translated via Google Translate and the version of each of the previous documents from the orders so they know they are the same (if they are) as that should help.

Are all the previous translations exactly the same as a Google Translate version or do they just have similarities? Are they all bad translations? I assume you are showing support (eg. in a screenshot) a version translated via Google Translate and the version of each of the previous documents from the orders so they know they are the same (if they are) as that should help.

Hi uk1000,

They are exactly the same as google translate. Even restaurant names had been translated.

I took screenshots of the proof plus added my original and the guy’s translations. Fiverr won’t refund the old translations…

There are many telltale signs of (unedited) machine translations, restaurant names in this case being a very obvious one that even people who aren’t native speakers of the target language can recognize, and there are many less obvious ones that usually will tell a translator who is a native speaker of the target language that a text is an (unedited) machine translation.

Maybe it’s an idea to find a reliable proofreader of the target language and ask them what they’d take to highlight such signs and explain in comments why it means the translation is just an automatic (unedited) Google translation, depending on what amounts you paid for the translations, it might be worth it, as an additional proof, but, of course, I don’t know if Fiverr would accept that.
Another alternative would be to invest a bit more into a proofreader and have them go over the translations to make them usable. I’d not order a proofreading gig directly though but ask the seller to check one of the files first, so they can tell you if a “quick proofreading/correcting job” is enough, or if they basically would have to rewrite every sentence, in which case it might be better and not even more expensive to have the texts translated again from scratch.

“Translations” like that are one of the reasons I don’t even offer proofreading gigs myself because, among other things, you’ll get people who want you to “just” proofread translations without the original text, which, in cases like this, when even restaurant names have been translated, often will leave you scratching your head, and even if the customer knows that an actual proofreading should be done against the original text, many don’t want to pay much for proofreading while it can take one just as much (or even more!) time to correct translations than to translate from scratch, depending how bad it is.

Not all machine translations are bad, though, it depends a lot on the language in question and the kind of texts - but you really can’t use completely unchecked and unedited machine translations at all because it’s simply too risky, even if there aren’t many errors, it can be bad errors, like the restaurant names (another great example being the infamous “Turkey” translation - the animal instead of the country in a list of countries, an error you’d think even a bot shouldn’t have made).

Some kinds of mistakes can happen due to typos, careless mistakes or tiredness, of course, but translators who are native speakers usually can see if things are mistakes made by a human or if the text has just been machine translated as a whole and not been corrected/edited, there are also signs/hints that are less obvious to someone who doesn’t speak the language, or which they can’t recognize at all, of course.

Well, hope it will be dealt with in a fair way, and that you’ll find a reliable translator. They exist, you just need to find them (and be willing to pay for the time a manual translation takes and plan well enough - if someone asks for a humanly impossible delivery time and the seller has no problem with that, chances are he or she will deliver :robot: translations).

I know you’d like those translations refunded, of course (and in that case, you could use the refund against proofreading or new translations), just some thoughts that might be helpful.

• 3 months later...

The only thing that matters is whether the translation was done well, whether the document makes sense. Google translator has gotten a lot better, but it still makes mistake, which is why the human translator must read and edit his work.

Also, I recommend first hiring a translator, then hire a rewriter. Sometimes clients want to get both for the price of one. It’s the same with proofreaders, a lot of people expect the proofreader to rewrite everything, but that’s not their job. A proofreader fixes mistakes, and might rewrite a sentence here and there, but they don’t have to rewrite the entire thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have used numerous translators on fiverr (English to Spanish) and without exception, every single ‘translator’ has used google translate all or in part. My last transaction was 100% google translate without deviation. The ‘translator’ insisted she did the work, but obviously that was not true (it is impossible).

If you get translation work done, you can verify yourself if google translate was used. If the text is for a native population, have them read it. You do not have to rate the translator in any given time, so once you have verified it is a 100% manual and good translation, then you can leave your review.

I have used numerous translators on fiverr (English to Spanish) and without exception, every single ‘translator’ has used google translate all or in part. My last transaction was 100% google translate without deviation. The ‘translator’ insisted she did the work, but obviously that was not true (it is impossible).

If you get translation work done, you can verify yourself if google translate was used. If the text is for a native population, have them read it. You do not have to rate the translator in any given time, so once you have verified it is a 100% manual and good translation, then you can leave your review.

You do not have to rate the translator in any given time,

Though if a buyer wants to leave a review, there is a limited number of days to do it.

so once you have verified it is a 100% manual and good translation, then you can leave your review.

How can you tell it was a 100% manual translation? Surely Google Translate will be able to correctly translate a certain percentage or some words/groups of words/phrases/sentences correctly and for those correctly translated sections they’d be the same whether translated by a good translator or Google Translate? What about other software the translators might use eg. that might store sections of text they’ve previously translated for re-use (CAT - computer-aided translation)? How could the buyer tell if they had been used to help with a new translation or whether the results were totally accurate?

What if the translator used translation software/Google to help with translation and then thoroughly checked it afterwards, fixing any incorrect sections so it was then perfect? Or what if they also used an automated spell-checker to help check their work?

Isn’t it the end result that really matters, how accurate it is and not really which particular software was used in the process of creating it along with any manual translation (whether the software was CAT tools or spell checkers or maybe even for some words or phrases, automated translation, as long as the results are as accurate as possible)?

I am so sorry you have had such a bad experience.

I am a translator myself and receive questions as “why your services are so expensive? have seen much cheaper around” but then this happens.

A professional translator will always do manual translations, but that requires time, hence the higher rates.

Exactly, a manual translation, even a manually corrected automated translation, takes time, hence usually comes with a higher price tag, especially if done by a native speaker living in a country with high COL.

Also, I see many requests in the Buyer Request Section as well as directly when people message me, expecting manual translations done within a timeframe that’s just not humanly possible.

For a good translation, you need an appropriate budget and enough time.

If a translator happens to have slots free, you can often get faster delivery as a paid gig extra, but extra fast delivery usually will be only available for lower word counts, so especially if you have a lot to translate, it’s better to not wait until the last minute you need things done because the good translators will often be booked out at capacity and can only offer a higher delivery time than those who just send unedited Google translations, obviously.

Fact is, I had quite a few buyers in my inbox who went away when I told them a realistic delivery time because they “need it faster”, in a humanly impossible time, even if I had been able to start on their translation at once and keep going, without sleeping, or eating, or anything else until I’d have been done, so go figure.

If you’re looking for a translator, it’s best to order a smaller test gig and have that checked by a competent native speaker.

I have to say competent because some people don’t really know the ins and outs of their own first language.

I’ve had customers who need proofreading for texts they wrote in their own language, not (only) because of typos or such but because they have major grammar flaws in their texts and don’t recognize them unless you point them out and explain. And that includes people who have studied, by the way, just not in the language field.

Language and what you can do with it is wonderful but can be complicated and intricate, and that’s only one of the reasons you don’t want an automated translation for most use cases in the first place. 🙂 Automated translations still have major flaws, and not only flaws you’d expect but they even have errors where, as a translator, checking them, you just can shake you head and wonder why.

Spend some time to check out profiles, gig descriptions, portfolio, anything that’s available on their seller page and on picking good translators, ask a few relevant questions, do a test gig with them to see how they work and if you like the collaboration, and have the translation checked by someone you’re sure you can trust. If you invest that time at the beginning, you’ll save time and nerves in the long run.

It’s worth a lot to have someone reliable to work with and whom you’ll be able to turn to anytime you need something done.

Also, the longer a translator works with you, the better they are able to understand your needs, your brand, who you want to sell to, etc. Plus, the good sellers who also probably stick to the terms of use here, are less likely to leave or be kicked off the platform overnight too).

So, a little time spent upfront is a good investment.

All of the above, with a little variation, applies to any sellers on any online platform, by the way.

Hi @nomosian,

If it is as you say that every single translator you have hired has used Google translate, then, with all due respect, the mistake is in you, and I would suggest taking your time searching a little better before hiring your translator next time.

Anyway, this is not exclusive of Fiverr… I was sent a book by a client who wanted me to Spanish proofread it, and who had hired a Spanish (from Spain) translator outside Fiverr to do the English to Spanish translation of it. Guess what? It was ALL Google translate, and the little bits and pieces he changed for disguising purposes, weren’t even close to what the original English content said.

Do you think my client paid $5", $75, $230 or even $1,000 for that “professional manual English to Spanish translation”? I can assure you that the amount paid was waaaaayyyyy more. And when I say “way”, I mean “WAY more”.

Bad apples can be found anywhere, and not because there are cheating translators working on Fiverr, it means all translators are cheaters. The same holds true for translators working outside Fiverr, but in the opposite way. Working outside Fiverr doesn’t guarantee that who you are hiring won’t be a cheater, and may I say, a very expensive cheater…

Hi @nomosian,

If it is as you say that every single translator you have hired has used Google translate, then, with all due respect, the mistake is in you, and I would suggest taking your time searching a little better before hiring your translator next time.

Anyway, this is not exclusive of Fiverr… I was sent a book by a client who wanted me to Spanish proofread it, and who had hired a Spanish (from Spain) translator outside Fiverr to do the English to Spanish translation of it. Guess what? It was ALL Google translate, and the little bits and pieces he changed for disguising purposes, weren’t even close to what the original English content said.

Do you think my client paid $5", $75, $230 or even $1,000 for that “professional manual English to Spanish translation”? I can assure you that the amount paid was waaaaayyyyy more. And when I say “way”, I mean “WAY more”.

Bad apples can be found anywhere, and not because there are cheating translators working on Fiverr, it means all translators are cheaters. The same holds true for translators working outside Fiverr, but in the opposite way. Working outside Fiverr doesn’t guarantee that who you are hiring won’t be a cheater, and may I say, a very expensive cheater…

Would you care to elaborate on what my mistake might have been? Why would you assume that I did not ‘take my time searching’ for a quality translator? None of their reviews indicated such and the reviews seemed like the best measure to determine quality (what else is there?). What other variables are you suggesting I missed in order to ensure a quality translator?

Bad apples can be found anywhere, and not because there are cheating translators working on Fiverr, it means all translators are cheaters.

Nothing I said would suggest a belief that all translators on fiverr are bad. What I said was that every translator I have used has been bad. Do you not see the difference between those two expressions?

The challenge with fiverr is that there is no easy mechanism to 1] find an honest translator, and 2] to recover money from dishonest sellers.

You do not have to rate the translator in any given time,

Though if a buyer wants to leave a review, there is a limited number of days to do it.

so once you have verified it is a 100% manual and good translation, then you can leave your review.

How can you tell it was a 100% manual translation? Surely Google Translate will be able to correctly translate a certain percentage or some words/groups of words/phrases/sentences correctly and for those correctly translated sections they’d be the same whether translated by a good translator or Google Translate? What about other software the translators might use eg. that might store sections of text they’ve previously translated for re-use (CAT - computer-aided translation)? How could the buyer tell if they had been used to help with a new translation or whether the results were totally accurate?

What if the translator used translation software/Google to help with translation and then thoroughly checked it afterwards, fixing any incorrect sections so it was then perfect? Or what if they also used an automated spell-checker to help check their work?

Isn’t it the end result that really matters, how accurate it is and not really which particular software was used in the process of creating it along with any manual translation (whether the software was CAT tools or spell checkers or maybe even for some words or phrases, automated translation, as long as the results are as accurate as possible)?

What is the limit? I have completed jobs from weeks ago that I am still able to leave a review. If there is a limitation, it seems more than adequate.

How can you tell it was a 100% manual translation?

No idea. But the native population for which the translation is intended can tell immediately when there are elements to the translation that no native speaker would ever write or say. That’s usually a clue.

What if the translator used translation software/Google to help with translation and then thoroughly checked it afterwards, fixing any incorrect sections so it was then perfect?

I would have no problem with that. But in order to obtain that requires more than copying and pasting into and from google translate. That works with more literal use of the language, but is highly problematic with idiomatic or figurative use of the language.

Isn’t it the end result that really matters

Yes and if someone reviewed and corrected google translate with the proper use of the language, I would have no problem and would still consider that a manual translation. The problem is when the translator is lazy and doesn’t manually review every word and sentence.

What is the limit? I have completed jobs from weeks ago that I am still able to leave a review. If there is a limitation, it seems more than adequate.

How can you tell it was a 100% manual translation?

No idea. But the native population for which the translation is intended can tell immediately when there are elements to the translation that no native speaker would ever write or say. That’s usually a clue.

What if the translator used translation software/Google to help with translation and then thoroughly checked it afterwards, fixing any incorrect sections so it was then perfect?

I would have no problem with that. But in order to obtain that requires more than copying and pasting into and from google translate. That works with more literal use of the language, but is highly problematic with idiomatic or figurative use of the language.

Isn’t it the end result that really matters

Yes and if someone reviewed and corrected google translate with the proper use of the language, I would have no problem and would still consider that a manual translation. The problem is when the translator is lazy and doesn’t manually review every word and sentence.

Currently 10 days I think according to the terms of service and this page:

https://buyers.fiverr.com/en/article/providing-feedback

Feedback can be provided up to 10 days after the last delivery of the order

https://www.fiverr.com/terms_of_service

• Users are allowed to leave reviews on orders up to 10 days after an order is marked as complete. No new reviews may be added to an order after 10 days.

Unless there was some bug that allowed you to provide reviews for orders delivered a lot longer than 10 days in the past. Or maybe some of your reviews were done before the change to 10 days was introduced.

Before the current 10 days limit the limit was 30 days, eg. in June 2017 the terms of service page said:

Users are allowed to leave reviews on orders up to 30 days after an order is marked as complete. No new reviews may be added to an order after 30 days.

Would you care to elaborate on what my mistake might have been? Why would you assume that I did not ‘take my time searching’ for a quality translator? None of their reviews indicated such and the reviews seemed like the best measure to determine quality (what else is there?). What other variables are you suggesting I missed in order to ensure a quality translator?

Bad apples can be found anywhere, and not because there are cheating translators working on Fiverr, it means all translators are cheaters.

Nothing I said would suggest a belief that all translators on fiverr are bad. What I said was that every translator I have used has been bad. Do you not see the difference between those two expressions?

The challenge with fiverr is that there is no easy mechanism to 1] find an honest translator, and 2] to recover money from dishonest sellers.

You may place a small order to check on your translator, or you may ask for a very small sample (some translators offer them for free). Reviews, sellers’ level, or even charged rates, not always guarantee high-quality services.

You don’t need to be this rude.

Yes, I see and know the difference between both. The question is, did you take your time to read and understand what I wrote? Or is it I am not allowed to write my thoughts freely?

You said all the translators you hired were cheaters, and I wrote down my thoughts just for clarification.

1.- That’s your personal point of view.

2.- That’s not true. You’re most welcome to contact Customer Support, obviously, with proof.

Have a good day!

You may place a small order to check on your translator, or you may ask for a very small sample (some translators offer them for free). Reviews, sellers’ level, or even charged rates, not always guarantee high-quality services.

Yes, I see and know the difference between both. The question is, did you take your time to read and understand what I wrote? Or is it I am not allowed to write my thoughts freely?

You said all the translators you hired were cheaters, and I wrote down my thoughts just for clarification.

2.- That’s not true. You’re most welcome to contact Customer Support, obviously, with proof.

Have a good day!

You may place a small order to check on your translator, or you may ask for a very small sample (some translators offer them for free)

I have done this and it ensures nothing. It takes a seller minutes to translate a small text manually. Some sellers begin doing manual translations and then later it is reduced to non-manual. It not entirely clear to my why you would have jumped on here and impulsively assumed I hadn’t been more careful when seeking honest translators. Perhaps you should heed your own advice and proceed first with a little more caution.

Conceptions of rudeness obviously vary. It didn’t seem rude to me in light of your manner of communication. Since you were direct, I thought it appropriate to respond in kind.

The question is, did you take your time to read and understand what I wrote?

Yes, English is my native language. I had no problem reading and understanding what you wrote. Was there something in my response which would indicate otherwise?

Or is it I am not allowed to write my thoughts freely?

What you choose to do makes no difference to me. I am obviously entitled to the same liberty.

Obviously. It is my point of view based upon my experience as a buyer. Do you have any experience as a buyer of translated material on fiverr?

Have you ever tried to do that as a buyer in this exact scenario? If not, I’m not sure why you’d think to offer an informed opinion on the matter. The forums are replete with examples to the contrary.

I am aware that my sample space of fiverr experience is severely limited proportionate to what’s available. I still use the service in hopes to find a consistently honest translator. But it’s difficult, even though you paint a picture as though buyers are just “making mistakes” by trusting fiverr translators to be honest. If you have never been a buyer in this capacity, then it perhaps it would be difficult for you to understand.

You may place a small order to check on your translator, or you may ask for a very small sample (some translators offer them for free)

I have done this and it ensures nothing. It takes a seller minutes to translate a small text manually. Some sellers begin doing manual translations and then later it is reduced to non-manual. It not entirely clear to my why you would have jumped on here and impulsively assumed I hadn’t been more careful when seeking honest translators. Perhaps you should heed your own advice and proceed first with a little more caution.

Conceptions of rudeness obviously vary. It didn’t seem rude to me in light of your manner of communication. Since you were direct, I thought it appropriate to respond in kind.

Yes, English is my native language. I had no problem reading and understanding what you wrote. Was there something in my response which would indicate otherwise?

What you choose to do makes no difference to me. I am obviously entitled to the same liberty.

Obviously. It is my point of view based upon my experience as a buyer. Do you have any experience as a buyer of translated material on fiverr?

Have you ever tried to do that as a buyer in this exact scenario? If not, I’m not sure why you’d think to offer an informed opinion on the matter. The forums are replete with examples to the contrary.

I am aware that my sample space of fiverr experience is severely limited proportionate to what’s available. I still use the service in hopes to find a consistently honest translator. But it’s difficult, even though you paint a picture as though buyers are just “making mistakes” by trusting fiverr translators to be honest. If you have never been a buyer in this capacity, then it perhaps it would be difficult for you to understand.

But it’s difficult, even though you paint a picture as though buyers are just “making mistakes” by trusting fiverr translators to be honest.

From your buying history, I can see you’ve purchased from a seller who offers to translate upto 18000 words in 24 hours.

This seller has probably had days when she’s had to translate roughly 30,000 words.

It’s not possible to manually translate so much so quickly while maintaining quality. The seller says she doesn’t use software. I won’t argue that point, but even if it’s true, she’s still at risk of suffering from severe fatigue, which will affect the quality of the final product.

@maitasun is right. Your vetting process needs work.

But it’s difficult, even though you paint a picture as though buyers are just “making mistakes” by trusting fiverr translators to be honest.

From your buying history, I can see you’ve purchased from a seller who offers to translate upto 18000 words in 24 hours.

This seller has probably had days when she’s had to translate roughly 30,000 words.

It’s not possible to manually translate so much so quickly while maintaining quality. The seller says she doesn’t use software. I won’t argue that point, but even if it’s true, she’s still at risk of suffering from severe fatigue, which will affect the quality of the final product.

😳

I went to check on @nomosian’s profile and on his so praised seller to see by myself…

It’s simply humanly impossible to manually translate that amount of words in just 1 day!!! Not even the 8000 words she offers on her basic package to do in 1 day - that would mean not being able to eat, stand up to stretch herself or to go to the bathroom, or to get a glass of water… She would end up in a hospital… :roll_eyes:

Oh well… I guess what you wrote said it all. 😉

Why would you give such glowing reviews like these:

the best translator on fiver 🙂

Excellent translation!

Most fiverr translators I have used use google translate - it is immediately obvious if you speak the language which the text is being translated into. All fiverr translators claim they do not do this. [seller] is the first translator I’ve used on fiverr that actually does manual translations and it is for this reason that I would recommend her!

and then expect to get refunded on the orders?

If you left those without checking the work properly then you can’t seriously expect a refund.

Check the work when you get it, once you are sure it’s ok then leave a review. If you can’t check it within the review deadline then don’t review.

I don’t recall what their current offer entails, but my translations have all been about 5 pages and I have never received (nor expected) the job to be completed before 3-5 days. The amount of time promised for delivery is not something dependent upon me and I don’t submit them for rush delivery. I am not sure I follow what your point is here.

It’s not possible to manually translate so much so quickly while maintaining quality.

I agree. What does that have to do with me?

but even if it’s true, she’s still at risk of suffering from severe fatigue, which will affect the quality of the final product.

Are you making excuses for people that take jobs they know they can’t complete? If they suffer from fatigue, they do not need to take the jobs.

That may be, but unless you can give actual examples of what that might entail (and assuming it’s not something I already do), your opinion has very little application here. Maitasun had the same opinion, but also could not offer anything new to what I have already been doing.

Archived