Web Developer Protection Idea

otractic

Greetings,

I’m a freelancer on Fiverr.com providing web development gigs. So far, whenever I send the delivery to the buyer, there is no sort of protection at all. There are mutliple ways to solve this.

Preview Only:
One way in which this could be solvable is creating a “Preview Only” whenever you deliver html files. Now I have no idea if this is possible for other files like .php, but usually this is how it works with market places for website themes and such. You can only preview it, and usually the code is hidden even in inspect it can be hidden in a lot of ways. The only way is if you buy the theme that you actually receive it by email.

The Idea:
My idea does not mean that the buyer has to receive the work via his/her email address. My idea is that the buyer can preview his/her new website, but only through Fiverr’s preview system. Which would obviously have a watermark also at the top that says “Delivery Preview”. The buyer can see the new website, and then if he/she likes it and clicks on “Accept Final Delivery”, a new option will popup that says “Download Source Files”, but only after accepting the final delivery. This can be one of many protection methods.

The Problem & Solution:
Another problem is after the delivery has been accepted. The buyer could just request a refund before the seller gets paid, which is a really big issue. Now the solution to this could be that instead of making a review “Optional” what about making it required? Just at least stars, no need for a certain message, just rating the buyer using stars shall be enough or just a Like/Dislike button, then that shall not allow the buyer to request a refund. This may be very unfair, but lets say that there was a problem after the delivery, a problem with code or a certain optimization and responsiveness. Perhaps the buyer can return to the order and request a “Technical Support”, which then wouldn’t cancel the order, it will notify the seller that there was an issue with the order. That would allow an easy solution to it.

What is your opinion on this idea? Do you guys have any other ideas that could be a solution to it?

This is just a personal opinion and an idea.

Greetings,

I’m a freelancer on Fiverr.com providing web development gigs. So far, whenever I send the delivery to the buyer, there is no sort of protection at all. There are mutliple ways to solve this.

Preview Only:

One way in which this could be solvable is creating a “Preview Only” whenever you deliver html files. Now I have no idea if this is possible for other files like .php, but usually this is how it works with market places for website themes and such. You can only preview it, and usually the code is hidden even in inspect it can be hidden in a lot of ways. The only way is if you buy the theme that you actually receive it by email.

The Idea:

My idea does not mean that the buyer has to receive the work via his/her email address. My idea is that the buyer can preview his/her new website, but only through Fiverr’s preview system. Which would obviously have a watermark also at the top that says “Delivery Preview”. The buyer can see the new website, and then if he/she likes it and clicks on “Accept Final Delivery”, a new option will popup that says “Download Source Files”, but only after accepting the final delivery. This can be one of many protection methods.

The Problem & Solution:

Another problem is after the delivery has been accepted. The buyer could just request a refund before the seller gets paid, which is a really big issue. Now the solution to this could be that instead of making a review “Optional” what about making it required? Just at least stars, no need for a certain message, just rating the buyer using stars shall be enough or just a Like/Dislike button, then that shall not allow the buyer to request a refund. This may be very unfair, but lets say that there was a problem after the delivery, a problem with code or a certain optimization and responsiveness. Perhaps the buyer can return to the order and request a “Technical Support”, which then wouldn’t cancel the order, it will notify the seller that there was an issue with the order. That would allow an easy solution to it.

What is your opinion on this idea? Do you guys have any other ideas that could be a solution to it?

Now the solution to this could be that instead of making a review “Optional” what about making it required?

Making any review required is not acceptable. Nowhere is a review something that is required.

It’s not an issue for a buyer to ask for a refund as long as you can refuse.

Now the solution to this could be that instead of making a review “Optional” what about making it required?

Making any review required is not acceptable. Nowhere is a review something that is required.

It’s not an issue for a buyer to ask for a refund as long as you can refuse.

That wasn’t really the point of my idea.

The Idea:

Also, the point of what I said about reviews is just making it a simple Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down button that would tell the seller how did the buyer feel about the delivery and not a week later.

I’ve known sellers having their work stolen cause a buyer asked for a refund and after contacting CS, they did not care at all about the seller.

Also, ignoring it will cause the buyer to go to CS in which will force the seller to give a refund if the CS believe that the buyer must get a refund. It’s possible and it happens all the time. Also, some buyers may even result in threatening the seller that they’ll give a bad review, you can read stories here on the forum about people experiencing it, weather or not, both seller and buyer must have some type of protection correct, but the seller is the one at risk and not the buyer.

It’s just an opinion that I personally believe must be addressed as I’ve visited other sites where the CS and their seller protection methods are actually great. Especially marketplaces for developers and designers.

That wasn’t really the point of my idea.

The Idea:

Also, the point of what I said about reviews is just making it a simple Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down button that would tell the seller how did the buyer feel about the delivery and not a week later.

I’ve known sellers having their work stolen cause a buyer asked for a refund and after contacting CS, they did not care at all about the seller.

Also, ignoring it will cause the buyer to go to CS in which will force the seller to give a refund if the CS believe that the buyer must get a refund. It’s possible and it happens all the time. Also, some buyers may even result in threatening the seller that they’ll give a bad review, you can read stories here on the forum about people experiencing it, weather or not, both seller and buyer must have some type of protection correct, but the seller is the one at risk and not the buyer.

It’s just an opinion that I personally believe must be addressed as I’ve visited other sites where the CS and their seller protection methods are actually great. Especially marketplaces for developers and designers.

I doubt Fiverr would do this. It would cost a fortune and create a lot of administration for them to maintain. And they wouldn’t gain higher profits from doing it.

I see the problem for sure, but you can easily solve it by filming your screen and doing a demo of all the pages, then exporting that video and attaching the video file to the chat and sending it to the client.

I doubt Fiverr would do this. It would cost a fortune and create a lot of administration for them to maintain. And they wouldn’t gain higher profits from doing it.

I see the problem for sure, but you can easily solve it by filming your screen and doing a demo of all the pages, then exporting that video and attaching the video file to the chat and sending it to the client.

That’s not how orders work. If I need to deliver the work, I need to provide the files so the buyer can download them. Even lets say if I upload them to his/her’s website via File Upload Manager. They can easily cancel the order and get away with it.

Your solution may work for some part, but when delivering the order, you still need to provide the necessary files or the work to actually move on.

It’s a rather complex problem.

Also, for the preview solution, I can even do it easily. It’s an automated system that does not take long at all. Fiverr has millions of dollars and it would never hurt to do something like this.

That’s not how orders work. If I need to deliver the work, I need to provide the files so the buyer can download them. Even lets say if I upload them to his/her’s website via File Upload Manager. They can easily cancel the order and get away with it.

Your solution may work for some part, but when delivering the order, you still need to provide the necessary files or the work to actually move on.

It’s a rather complex problem.

Also, for the preview solution, I can even do it easily. It’s an automated system that does not take long at all. Fiverr has millions of dollars and it would never hurt to do something like this.

I know. I’m not talking about the files. I’m talking about the preview for the buyer to know what she is getting and agree to it before you send the delivery as a way to prove you did it and she approved it.

I’m only talking about the preview of the website you mentioned, not the delivery of the files.

I know. I’m not talking about the files. I’m talking about the preview for the buyer to know what she is getting and agree to it before you send the delivery as a way to prove you did it and she approved it.

I’m only talking about the preview of the website you mentioned, not the delivery of the files.

Or instead, what Fiverr could do is add a check list that says “I agree that I’m totally satisfied with the delivery that I’ve received”. This will indicate that the buyer actually agreed to the final delivery. It still rises many issues.

The preview is simply just a fool-proof way of not stealing other people’s work. Simple as that.

Anyways, it’s simply an opinion, and I just hope that Fiverr will find a solution. If not, then I just hope that Fiverr never becomes worse.

Or instead, what Fiverr could do is add a check list that says “I agree that I’m totally satisfied with the delivery that I’ve received”. This will indicate that the buyer actually agreed to the final delivery. It still rises many issues.

The preview is simply just a fool-proof way of not stealing other people’s work. Simple as that.

Anyways, it’s simply an opinion, and I just hope that Fiverr will find a solution. If not, then I just hope that Fiverr never becomes worse.

I can’t comment.

I was only referring to previewing the website for the client.

Greetings,

Preview Only:

The Idea:

The Problem & Solution:

The buyer could just request a refund before the seller gets paid, which is a really big issue

Is it really that big of an issue? This and the first part of your message.

The fact that creators can be scammed is a real thing in the freelance community overall, not only Fiverr.

Still, I do not hear an outcry of scammed sellers, sorry. If it was that bad, people would not be using this site to sell their work. And Fiverr would take actions (maybe close to ones you described).

But it’s not true. Sellers provide their work and Fiverr is satisfied with it.

These are interesting ideas you have, but I do not see that they are relevant right now.

A solution for what exactly? I understand the scenario you’re describing but has that ever been a problem to you or it’s just hypothetical? How many times you’ve seen yourself in the situation you described?

I’ve been on Fiverr for nearly 3 years, probably been active (taking orders) for 2.5 years and I have never had the problem you’re describing.

I’m not challenging your experience but genuinely asking if that has happened to you because you may be building it to a bigger problem than it might be.

You might have not experienced it, but it doesn’t mean that others haven’t. I have experienced it in multiple orders where I delivered the order, even after the buyer accepted the final delivery, they still requested a refund. So I’m questioning myself, what about the work that I did? Where did that go?

I’m not addressing it as the end of Fiverr, cause it’s not.

But nowadays, I’m afraid of providing the source files. Knowing that if the buyer will do it or not is unexpected. It can just happen like that and all of my work is gone. I’ve visited other sites that have this “Preview Mode” feature.

It’s just an idea and an opinion. If you feel that it isn’t a problem, then I respect that. For every seller, it’s different and not the same.

The buyer could just request a refund before the seller gets paid, which is a really big issue

Is it really that big of an issue? This and the first part of your message.

The fact that creators can be scammed is a real thing in the freelance community overall, not only Fiverr.

Still, I do not hear an outcry of scammed sellers, sorry. If it was that bad, people would not be using this site to sell their work. And Fiverr would take actions (maybe close to ones you described).

But it’s not true. Sellers provide their work and Fiverr is satisfied with it.

These are interesting ideas you have, but I do not see that they are relevant right now.

Maybe they might not be relevant, it’s of course just an idea.

I just feel it’s better as sometimes I do worry whenever I want to deliver the order.

what Fiverr could do is add a check list that says “I agree that I’m totally satisfied with the delivery that I’ve received”.

This would be a total disaster for sellers. It’s hard to imagine a more sure way to cause endless problems.

Just deliver your work. Stop stressing and creating more problems.

If your work is great, and you have learned how to eliminate problems with buyers, you have nothing to worry about.

You might have not experienced it, but it doesn’t mean that others haven’t. I have experienced it in multiple orders where I delivered the order, even after the buyer accepted the final delivery, they still requested a refund. So I’m questioning myself, what about the work that I did? Where did that go?

I’m not addressing it as the end of Fiverr, cause it’s not.

But nowadays, I’m afraid of providing the source files. Knowing that if the buyer will do it or not is unexpected. It can just happen like that and all of my work is gone. I’ve visited other sites that have this “Preview Mode” feature.

It’s just an idea and an opinion. If you feel that it isn’t a problem, then I respect that. For every seller, it’s different and not the same.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Archived