What do you do when a buyer is dragging his/her feet about supplying information about a job?

Two days ago, I landed a custom order with a client who said that she would provide her own ideas for this project. It’s been two days, and she still hasn’t provided me with the information I need to start. The clock is ticking, and I only have three days left to get 20 items finished and delivered to her. I sent her a message both yesterday and today. I heard from her today, and she told me that she would contact me later. Still no word, and the clock is ticking.

I’m tempted to take a wild guess and make the simpler items so that I can stop the clock by delivering them. Chances are, I will have to redo them. What would you do in this situation?

Every gig has a section called “instructions for buyer.” Did you write anything? This is what I wrote:

Thanks for your order!

Please let me know about what you’re selling, product category, whatever working name you’re using, and anything else you think that might help me.

P.S. I’m getting a lot of orders, that’s why you won’t hear from me unless I have questions or the order is done. Thanks.

Reply to @kjblynx: I offered her the opportunity to cancel, but she said that she wanted to continue with the project. I’ll deliver what I have tomorrow, and if I don’t hear anything back, I’ll request the cancellation. I don’t know what else to do.

Reply to @fastcopywriter: I have instructions for buyers listed on my gigs. Unfortunately, many of them don’t bother reading them. I’ve come to appreciate the ones who do and tell me exactly what they want from me.

Reply to @dwoehr: Yeah, that happens to me sometimes. So either I have to nudge them, or ask them directly. If I’m lucky, they reply on time. IF not, I cancelled the order and then 3-days later they’re asking why I cancelled.

Of course, sometimes I deliver and then they want modifications like 3-7 days later. “I was away,” they tell me. I think going to private islands with no Internet is a trend now, or maybe they were camping in death valley, or at the Jules Underwater Hotel in Key Largo, oh wait a minute, that hotel has internet, even thought it’s underwater. Never mind. LOL

Reply to @fastcopywriter: Lol! I dealt with that with another client this week, although she didn’t give me any excuse as to why she wanted modifications so late in the game. Then she wanted mega revisions.

That said, most of my clients have been great. There must be an extended full moon (or everyone is wishing they were at the under water hotel) this week. Glad I’m not the only one who has experienced this.

Reply to @dwoehr: The shocking thing is that I’m 40, and I think I’m more addicted to the Internet than some of my millennial clients.

Here’s a story, a client makes a $5 order for teespring headlines, then I deliver, he writes something about showing the work to his partners. Today he added a $20 gig extra, he wants 20 more headlines, and Fiverr shows me that I’m late. Thankfully, I did the job, delivered, and told him next time to make a new order.

P.S. My policy with revision is never more than once, otherwise you’re losing a lot of time and time = money.

Reply to @fastcopywriter: If there was a mindreader here, he or she could make fortune from it lol…

Reply to @fastcopywriter: I’m approaching 50, and I’ve been addicted to the Internet since I started using it in '96. So, you’re not alone.

I agree with you on the revisions. I’ve done up to ten for a couple of my clients, sometimes more, in order to ensure a 5-star review. That’s always frustrating, especially when they contacted me after the gig is closed and paid. I had unlimited revisions up until a minute ago. I’ve changed that to 3. Most of my clients don’t need more than that, anyway.

Reply to @dwoehr: You don’t have to kill yourself to get a 5-star review, just do your best, and let them tell you if it was good enough. There was a time I would write two radios just two give clients options A and B, but the I realized that I’m doing twice the work, for half the pay, for a client that only needs one commercial. It wasn’t worth it.

Reply to @fastcopywriter: I’ve come to that realization, as of this week. :slight_smile: I worked my butt off on three illustration gigs for the same client, only to get 4.5 stars each time. The lesson I learned is that clients aren’t always going to be 100% satisfied with my work and to just accept that. I’ve looked at my competitors’ profiles and see that some of them have an overall 95 - 99% satisfaction rate, and they are still getting work.

Reply to @dwoehr: And be glad you got 4.5 instead of 4, 3, 2, 1.

Frankly, I rarely give anyone a negative review, if I really hate the work, I’ll request a refund or write nothing if I’m feeling compassionate. If I love the work, then I give 5-stars, and maybe a tip.

I have a secret way of incentivizing sellers, when I don’t like their initial delivery, I ask for a revision and promise a tip if they do a good job. Then I deliver that tip. Fair is fair, you know?

Reply to @fastcopywriter: I’ve yet to buy a gig from other Fiverrs, so I’ll have to remember the incentive when that time comes.

I’m in a similar situation. I’ve done half the work and time is running out whilst I await more information. What happens if you mark the order as complete anyway, then do the work if and when they send the details? I want to avoid Fiverr telling me I’m late!