What do you do when you are exhausted?

writer99025

Many of you who know me here know how hard I work. I’ve been feeling very tired lately and realized I wasn’t enjoying my work as much as I used to. So I took a long vacation and raised my delivery time to 18 days for my main Gig. For sure this will mean that I will go down in the search results and get fewer orders, but will give me a chance to catch up on other things in life such as exercising, going to the gym, going to the movies, shopping and other simple pleasures of life. I have worked non-stop for 2 years, so I think this is a good move, even though I will make less money. Money is not everything, I feel. What do you think?

I forgot how it feels to be exhausted. I am semi-retired now at my 30s (I worked hard for more than 10 years to make money). Now if I do something it is just so I have something to do (and I am a housewife anyway now), not for the money. I am not mega rich whatsoever, I have enough savings and I don´t even have to support myself. It is good to have a vacation. You should try that and see that in life there are other fun things to do rather than just working your butt off on Fiverr. Honestly though, I am impressed by your dedication on writing and making money here even when you don´t have to support anyone. I can never have such attitude. PS: I think when I am exhausted I will sleep, just like other people. I also like travelling and sleep in different cities/villages/countries.

If I was you I would just hop on a plane somewhere nice and out of the way for a few weeks. I’m thinking about a month or two in Morocco in September or October. That said, even if I take time off, you can guarantee that I have my laptop under arm and will bang a few orders out throughout the day. In this case, since (I think) you make all your income on Fiverr, why not just head on up to Nepal or something for a few weeks and work along the way?

Of course, I’m making some pretty big assumptions about how much disposable income you might have to burn but a change of scenery and meeting new and interesting people can work wonders. The big thing is to not take time off and just lounge about your house or apartment. If you do this, however long you take off will pass in an instant and you probably won’t end up feeling refreshed at all.

Lastly, a lot of people get put off travel and things due to the associated expense of accommodation and everything. However, if you stick to using things like backpacker hostels you should be fine. In fact, if I do go to Morocco later in the year I’ll be spending a maximum of $20 per day with accommodation included. (Probably quite a bit less actually as I am very frugal).

Well, not really. My family and a lot of my peers are actually appalled by the way I live. They can’t understand why I gave up everything to live hundreds of miles away earning crumbs compared to what I used to.

The only problem is that the idea of ever going back to anything like my old UK life is hellish for me. I much prefer living as simply and as cheaply as possible and taking life day by day.

I would like a pool one day though… And a yacht… And maybe my own zoo 🙂

Well, the downside is that where I live it’s next to impossible to actually meet people and form meaningful friendships. The locals are nice to your face but don’t really like foreigners and the expat community is largely made up of pretentious old English people and young brainless idiots who come over here to work as waiters and drink their money away every evening.

In this case, my perfect world would be one where I could pick up the phone and arrange to go for a drink or a day out with a few mates from home every now and again but this isn’t possible.

That’s the curse of relocating and distancing yourself from your home place in the name of an easier life and a wee bit adventure. Also, I adopted a dog over here who is amazing but because of him, I’m now very restricted when it comes to things like holidays and moving etc.

Either way, you just have to focus on making your own happiness and deciding what you actually want out of life. Also, I’m a bit of a forward planning nut and I think that helps.

For the past 7-8 years, I’ve been working 6 days a week at the office.
Nobody forced me to do this, it was simply my choice.
Then Fiverr came along, and that one day where I didn’t go to the office,
I used it to work on Fiverr.
I did have enough time to hang out with my friends of course since I don’t get
bombarded with gigs all the time. This was OK with me, but recently it just hit me and I
realized that I was in fact starting to feel tired.
From last month, I decided to work 5 days a week like a normal person, and the 2 days off
I made sure NOT to do anything that was work related, including Fiverr.
I did of course check/respond to messages, but other than that, I did no work.

I just stayed at home and relaxed, watched movies, went to museums, had dinner
with my friends, came home, and relaxed some more. Nothing special, but it works!!
And of course, sleep a lot too!

I can pretty much keep going on routine even on a bad day, but whenever exhausted i just make cook up a high protein meal and usually i feel better the next day. If im mentally exhausted i do the same thing + i head on over to my woodworking shop as soon as i can and i just start building some piece of custom furniture without any proper planing. After that im usually ready for another shift.

You are a writer and get through a huge amount of orders. This must be a huge mental drain for you and you really should make sure you get out and about as much as you can. Some time ago I read something somewhere by someone (can’t remember the article, where I read it or who wrote it, but the message stuck with me) who wrote for a living. He said that most of his writing inspiration comes away from his desk. Seeing and hearing new things, new phrases, new ways of doing things is vital to keep his writing fresh. The added advantage of this was that by being out and about often, his mind was also fresh so that he could actually focus more easily when he actually sat down to write. I thought it was an interesting point and I have tried to keep it in mind and put it into practice.

I live in the countryside in Ireland where there is not much variation and life is very slow, so for the last couple of days I stayed in a hostel in Dublin to get a change of scene. I used to live in Dublin and so I was able to catch up with some people, stroll around the town, visit the zoo etc and then do a couple of hours of work while in the hostel’s bar in the evening. At one point I mentally high-fived myself when I realized that I had just earned enough in that couple of hours to cover the cost of the stay in the hostel. Just got home this evening and although I am tired now I know that tomorrow I will wake up all the better for having had a break. Going to plan another break like that to another part of the country for a couple of weeks time I think. As most of my work is custom offers I was able to adjust the number of orders I had due over the past few days.

Great advice! For the first time in 2 years, I went for a run. I will now run every day for the rest of my life. Freelance writing gave me a purpose when I began 2 years back, but now I want to make my health my top priority, travel and enjoy my life as well…otherwise all the money I make will be spent on hospital bills a few years from now.

Well, I was pretty exhausted lately, so I just cut out the world. I am pretty introverted, so my refreshment comes from solitude. Travel is always good. I read an interesting article some time back. Like Eoin’s article, it’s always stuck with me. The general gist was the nature of time. You know how it speeds up when you’re having fun and drag’s when everything’s a bore? You also know that the older you get, how it just gets faster–it’s not like an endless summer holiday, those 6 weeks. It’s gone and you wonder where it all went. Now, some boffins (I love that word) had done some research into the “why?” and decided that it all had to do with processing new information. When you’re young, everything is new. As you get old and stuck in routine, there’s nothing new to process, so time speeds up.

The upshot of all this was that getting out of your comfort zone–travel, learning, whatever–wasn’t just good for mental health, it was also restorative. Besides, travel is great fun and you meet all sorts. I do live in a tourist city and meet people from all over so I’m a sedentary traveller. What I’d like to do is take my laptop and be a truly mobile worker, but it all sounds exhausting and like hard work when I can just slump in front of a computer and play a video game (Far Cry 4 right now guys, loving it, especially the elephant riding).

That was a bit of a waffle. Just take a step back from the world, really. Or throw yourself into it. Everyone’s different 🙂 The important thing is to note when you’re starting to get fatigued so you can prevent the dreaded block.

Archived