What do you do when you don't feel like working?

ronhi85

Oh man, what a great question! Just reading it made me feel the urge to close my computer and do some drawing magic 😃 It’s so tempting!

But I usually overcome that urge by setting a separate schedule, one for drawing, and one for working. But there will be times when you’re really not in the mood to work, and continuing would put you at risk of mixing things up or making mistakes that you’d normally not do when delivering your work.

So in those cases, I’d recommend taking some time off and do what you need to do in order to feed your brain and prepare it for more work later on.

I usually ask for longer delivery times with the promise that I will “try” to get it out sooner. This is usually up for negotiation. Like if I saw 10 days for a non urgent project, people might say oh could we make it 7. Sure we can, that’s still better than three! That leaves me ample room for days where I may wake up under the weather or just plain not feel like doing anything. Also if I know I’m going to have a heavy weekend or I’m going t possibly be going to a party or barbecue or something I will try to have my gigs done before hand if they expire on the days I want free or I try to arrange any new gigs so they dont expire on those days so I can still have those days off.

I recently travelled from the UK to Canada and made everyone aware I was going to be unavailable until tomorrow actually, but I feel like working today so I’m working. it allowed me some time to get settled in and get ovr jetlag which was a great plan on my part ! 😃

I work in 20-30 minute increments and then take a ten minute break. It’s a productivity method that I learned form a former boss. This combats that burnout feeling for the most part, although I do still have some days where I don;t want to do anything at all. I just push through and keep working when that happens. When I finish a huge project I reward myself with a couple hours of wattpad. I love wattpad 😛

Work out. I like to fight on my free time - kickboxing, muay thai, bjj, boxing, wrestling, mma, etc.

Sitting on a computer too much becomes depressing for me.

I like to fight on my free time - kickboxing, muay thai, bjj, boxing, wrestling, mma, etc.

Remind me to keep my cool around you 😨

I have to identify the difference between just feeling blah about current work versus I need to take a break for my mental health. If I just feel blah, I just tell myself I don’t have to want to do it, or like doing it, I just have to do it.

Otherwise, if it’s for mental health, then I take a break. By that point it’s usually gotten so bad that I take a whole month off. 🙂

I have to identify the difference between just feeling blah about current work versus I need to take a break for my mental health. If I just feel blah, I just tell myself I don’t have to want to do it, or like doing it, I just have to do it.

Otherwise, if it’s for mental health, then I take a break. By that point it’s usually gotten so bad that I take a whole month off. 🙂

If I just feel blah, I just tell myself I don’t have to want to do it, or like doing it, I just have to do it.

That’s the professional way of handling it. Personally i do pretty much the same except sometimes with creative work its almost impossible to will yourself to come up with a unique, idea, invention, piece of art etc. Luckily though i always have work in multiple fields, today for example i was supposed to do an airbrush painting but couldn’t come up with a good idea so instead i built a fence for another client and started building a new front door for another.

Work out. I like to fight on my free time - kickboxing, muay thai, bjj, boxing, wrestling, mma, etc.

Sitting on a computer too much becomes depressing for me.

I actually find sitting in general drains more energy than lets say carrying bricks for 8 hours. Had to sit a whole day last week renewing a job related licence and the next day my legs were cramping, neck was stiff and my back was hurting (couldn’t even put socks on when i went to work). Always the same thing when i have to work sitting down (luckily thats not often).

If I just feel blah, I just tell myself I don’t have to want to do it, or like doing it, I just have to do it.

That’s the professional way of handling it. Personally i do pretty much the same except sometimes with creative work its almost impossible to will yourself to come up with a unique, idea, invention, piece of art etc. Luckily though i always have work in multiple fields, today for example i was supposed to do an airbrush painting but couldn’t come up with a good idea so instead i built a fence for another client and started building a new front door for another.

I live on a smallholding with 16 alpacas so I understand and agree with your point. There’s always something completely different that needs to be done if a short break away from the computer is necessary.

Archived