What do you do when you're highly unsatisfied with a seller?

bookswitheden

Question

I apologize if there’s a thread on here already! I’m about to make my first buy, and it’s not a cheap one. I’m a little nervous because I don’t want to pay for something that won’t turn out like we’ve discussed, and I’ve heard it’s extremely difficult to get a refund on here.

So what are the rules exactly on getting a refund when the order wasn’t cancelled, but the finished product isn’t what you asked for? Has anyone ever been through this before?

11 answers to this question

I apologize if there’s a thread on here already! I’m about to make my first buy, and it’s not a cheap one. I’m a little nervous because I don’t want to pay for something that won’t turn out like we’ve discussed, and I’ve heard it’s extremely difficult to get a refund on here.

So what are the rules exactly on getting a refund when the order wasn’t cancelled, but the finished product isn’t what you asked for? Has anyone ever been through this before?

Absolutely agree with @lloydsolutions that you should read the Terms of Service. But in short, you are not entitled to a refund, provided the seller provides what you’ve asked for, regardless of the quality of the finished product. If they fail to deliver what you asked for, this is different.

This may seem unfair… But if you purchase from an experienced seller, with a track-record of delivering what clients ask for, your risk is minimal. You will of course, inevitably, pay more for this.

Either way, you’re buying the time of a freelancer. It is indeed difficult to get a refund on here, and for good reason - to protect the sellers who offer their services. If you do your seller research, communicate honestly and openly, and pay what you genuinely believe are fair market rates for what you require, you’ll be absolutely fine.

Guest merciavideo

I’m about to make my first buy, and it’s not a cheap one

Why not try a small purchase first, just to see how things work? Does the seller you’re interested in provide less expensive gigs so you can try them out?

I’m about to make my first buy, and it’s not a cheap one

Why not try a small purchase first, just to see how things work? Does the seller you’re interested in provide less expensive gigs so you can try them out?

That’s a good idea! I was thinking about that, and I think that’s how I’m gonna go about it.

Absolutely agree with @lloydsolutions that you should read the Terms of Service. But in short, you are not entitled to a refund, provided the seller provides what you’ve asked for, regardless of the quality of the finished product. If they fail to deliver what you asked for, this is different.

This may seem unfair… But if you purchase from an experienced seller, with a track-record of delivering what clients ask for, your risk is minimal. You will of course, inevitably, pay more for this.

Either way, you’re buying the time of a freelancer. It is indeed difficult to get a refund on here, and for good reason - to protect the sellers who offer their services. If you do your seller research, communicate honestly and openly, and pay what you genuinely believe are fair market rates for what you require, you’ll be absolutely fine.

Thanks for your response! I completely understand why the rules are the way they are. I guess I’m just thinking along the lines of not getting what you asked for or the seller just disappearing on me.

Thanks for your response! I completely understand why the rules are the way they are. I guess I’m just thinking along the lines of not getting what you asked for or the seller just disappearing on me.

Sure. If you don’t get what you ask for, or if the seller fails to deliver, you’re protected.

That’s a good idea! I was thinking about that, and I think that’s how I’m gonna go about it.

Mmm, that’s also tricky. Eg I’m offering 3 packages for the logos and if someone purchases lowest price “just to test” they wouldn’t get the same logo (it might be actually absolutely different from what they expect due to complexity of work)

So sometimes ordering “cheap” version just to test seller might also not work well.

I would just recommend to chat with the seller first, to see if you actually like communication and if you can understand everything clearly and if seller can actually do the job. But the high price for me it’s already a good indication. It means that he knows his price and more or less market rate and it’s always experience and confidence standing behind the reasoning of not offering 5$ gigs.

E.g I’m always advising people that contact me if I’m the right person for this job or not, if I have doubts that I can deliver 100% what client is asking for I would immediately share my concerns.

Archived