What exactly is "academic work"?

eddy_42

Hi, I have a gig in which I offer to help students with school stuff they might be stuck with. I’m a bit confused/concerned about the “academic work” part of the TOS.

Obviously, I do not offer to complete graded assignments on their behalf as this is definitely against TOS. But what about ungraded exercises ? Sometimes teachers never provide any solutions and this makes lots of student unable to grasp the topic correctly. Am I allowed to provide solutions to ungraded exercises in order to get students back on track ? The TOS doesn’t seem very clear to me about that.

Thanks !

Unethical Services

Fiverr’s marketplace is open for sellers to offer any creative and productive service they wish to propose. With that being said, we ask to refrain from offering any unethical service. For example, taking part in doing someone else’s academic work (which will likely be submitted as the student’s own work) or requesting academic work to be done for you, is unethical since it violates most schools’ Honor Codes and constitutes copyright infringement. Fiverr does not allow this type of fraudulent activities and it will not be permitted on our platform.

The above is from the Community Standards.

I’ve been helping people with their math, physics and programming assignments for countless hours during the last 5 years.

The above is from your profile description.

We can’t do Any type of assignments on fiverr. It’s strictly against the fiverr TOS. Otherwise you will get warning and after 3 warning your account will be suspended from fiverr.
You are right on your side. You want to help students to do other exercises. But It’s not allow on fiverr. Because may be student will not tell you about that those questions are thier assignments.
you can check the Terms and Conditions by click on this link Fiverr's Terms of Service

There is no law against being a math Tutor, as in helping someone learn that

• 42 comes before 59 and
  • how rubbing those two numbers together becomes, -17, 101, 2,478, or 0.7118644 😮

That becomes the student/client’s learning.

The moment that you start giving the cheating child the answers that they then present as though they did the work themselves, you are contributing to the fall of Rome.

This can be a fine line as for all you know the kid asks you simply how to get all the things they need to assemble their homework. That means that they don’t understand the work, merely how to cheat. Our kids will try the I’ll just sit here with my mouth open until I get given the answer routine. I don’t fall for it as while it seems to help today, tomorrow they are just as helpless.

I saw a job today where the scuzzy student posted the assignment sheet as the brief. Sadly people were applying, no doubt preparing the “I didn’t know” excuses.

So any time you do a student’s exercises for them, you are breaking not just Fiverr’s TOS but the fabric of society which works on the assumption that students learn as they do their work. Would you like to go to a surgeon who paid a Fiverr Freddie to do his exams?

🙂

There is no law against being a math Tutor, as in helping someone learn that

• 42 comes before 59 and
  • how rubbing those two numbers together becomes, -17, 101, 2,478, or 0.7118644 😮

That becomes the student/client’s learning.

The moment that you start giving the cheating child the answers that they then present as though they did the work themselves, you are contributing to the fall of Rome.

This can be a fine line as for all you know the kid asks you simply how to get all the things they need to assemble their homework. That means that they don’t understand the work, merely how to cheat. Our kids will try the I’ll just sit here with my mouth open until I get given the answer routine. I don’t fall for it as while it seems to help today, tomorrow they are just as helpless.

I saw a job today where the scuzzy student posted the assignment sheet as the brief. Sadly people were applying, no doubt preparing the “I didn’t know” excuses.

So any time you do a student’s exercises for them, you are breaking not just Fiverr’s TOS but the fabric of society which works on the assumption that students learn as they do their work. Would you like to go to a surgeon who paid a Fiverr Freddie to do his exams?

🙂

Would you like to go to a surgeon who paid a Fiverr Freddie

I have seen nurses in Buyers Request ask for someone to do their assessments!

Plus @eddy_42, how do you know the problems given to you won’t be graded? Are you trusting the students to tell you so?

Thanks everyone for your time and answers !

There’s definitely a fine line between legitimate tutoring and helping students cheat and I obviously try my best to stay on the bright side of that line, hence my question.

Now, as @abdullahtahir08 and @vickiespencer pointed out, it might be hard to check whether the request is about a preparatory exercise or a graded assignment. I’d like to be able to trust the students about that one and I think some level of trust must be had in any business relationship, but this might be a stretch.

I want to insist on the fact that what I offer is tutoring, not cheating. Going back to the surgeon example: would you rather have a surgeon that barely passed all their exams because they understood only half the courses or one that seeked help to better understand them and ended up having top grades ? This is not as black and white as it appears 😉

Anyway I’ll leave the gig online for a few more days/weeks and if I only get cheaters I’ll simply delete it. @wordsfire might have a made a fair point above.

Thanks again for your help, hope you all have a great day !

Thanks everyone for your time and answers !

There’s definitely a fine line between legitimate tutoring and helping students cheat and I obviously try my best to stay on the bright side of that line, hence my question.

Now, as @abdullahtahir08 and @vickiespencer pointed out, it might be hard to check whether the request is about a preparatory exercise or a graded assignment. I’d like to be able to trust the students about that one and I think some level of trust must be had in any business relationship, but this might be a stretch.

I want to insist on the fact that what I offer is tutoring, not cheating. Going back to the surgeon example: would you rather have a surgeon that barely passed all their exams because they understood only half the courses or one that seeked help to better understand them and ended up having top grades ? This is not as black and white as it appears 😉

Anyway I’ll leave the gig online for a few more days/weeks and if I only get cheaters I’ll simply delete it. @wordsfire might have a made a fair point above.

Thanks again for your help, hope you all have a great day !

Going back to the surgeon example: would you rather have a surgeon that barely passed all their exams because they understood only half the courses or one that seeked help to better understand them and ended up having top grades ?

The buyer requests I have seen are asking sellers to do the homework not help understand the homework. That being said I have found it you ask the buyer straight out if what they are asking you to do is an academic assignment they are honest and say yes, or they explain what it is for.

Here is what happened to another buyer who had issues with being asked to do academic work.

It worked! Immediately after I added the big fat I WON’T DO YOUR HOMEWORK, the requests stopped. Until now. This week, four students, three of them today only, sent me the exact same assignment. Apparently they are all from the same school and apparently it’s due on Monday. After getting into an argument with one of them, I’m now “out of office” until Tuesday. Trololo… upside_down_face

Archived