Fiverr Community Forum

What is Fiverr Doing About This? [ARCHIVED]

I love the way you summarized the whole thing. i read in this forum when a seller was recommending for people to hire other sellers to buy their gig, and if possible, have different accounts and use it to boost sales. Now tell me what that particular seller has been doing, probably buying her own gig all the time using fake accounts.

I’m with you on the quantity over quality which seems to be happening. Fiverr is a fantastic market place with fantastic potential. However, I myself have been caused a little misery by it as a buyer recently. I sold writing originally, but started offering $20 gig extras for brief animated videos to accompany articles. I didn’t offer this service at the time myself, so outsourced each video order to another $5 seller who I liked the look of. Moreover, all went well until a client later got back to me after receiving a take down request for the video which I provided.

Since then I’ve paid $700 for video animation software + certified commercialization, monetization and reselling rights. In this case, I can provide this service in house. However, what I now realize is that a lot of animation gigs on Fiverr are likely being sold without these licences. Moreover, that’s just video animation, there is a whole other kettle of fish brewing on the logo design front.

In this case, I think Fiverr needs to learn from the Amazon law suit going against fake reviewers of books and products. I mean a lot of people are still offering this service despite that law suit and recent adverse media attention.

The problem you see, is how long is it before Fiverr becomes known as a place where you take a risk every time you make a purchase, as opposed to somewhere you can find a legitimate bargain without having to worry about possible consequences.

1 Like

I sold writing originally, but started offering $20 gig extras for brief animated videos to accompany articles. I didn’t offer this service at the time myself, so outsourced each video order to another $5 seller who I liked the look of. Moreover, all went well until a client later got back to me after receiving a take down request for the video which I provided.

Since then I’ve paid $700 for video animation software + certified commercialization, monetization and reselling rights. In this case, I can provide this service in house. However, what I now realize is that a lot of animation gigs on Fiverr are likely being sold without these licences

I completely agree with you on the licencing issues. However, i still blame some buyers for promoting such act in the name of making more profits. One of the things i don’t do is selling my clients project to someone else, even if it doesn’t affect them directly, i hate it. Few months ago a buyer contacted me for a project and i explained everything to him. I told him the amount i charge for the job and he turned it down completely. He went to the extent of showing me other sellers who provide the same service for 5 dollars, which i strongly recommend for him to buy. Unfortunately for him, he came back 3 weeks later, and this time he is ready to pay the amount i charged him initially. If the buyer has succeeded with that gig, he will gladly patronize the seller again and promote him to continue doing the wrong thing. Most sellers violate copyright because many sellers encourage them. If everyone is conscious, there won’t be problem.

My sales dropped 100% almost no orders at all. And i know it is not my fault because it’s just a SUDDEN DROP last week (i receive orders everyday constantly).

Now i have few speculations why:

• Fiverr updated its algorithm
  • and this one posted by this guy.

This has been in my head since last week although just pure opinion… I’m really getting worried now because it’s been 2 weeks straight and still NO SALE.

Is it so wrong for us “Colonials” in the “United States of Entitlement”, as you like to call us, to want to be paid for the work we do? I offer formatting services and can easily spend up to 10 hours on a single project. Then there are the allotted revisions that I must do until the buyer us satisfied. Even if I charge $55, after Fiverr’s 20% commission I only get to keep $44. But then there is Paypal’s fee for transferring the money from FIverr to Paypal, so after Fiverr’s hefty commission and Paypal’s fee and I get to keep $43 out of the $55 I charge. Then add in the the 10 hours of initial work, not including the revisions I may have to do, and I am earning a grand total of $4.40 per hour, and that is a generous estimate, which is well below the standard minimum wage even in the poorest states. I know that this is the risk of working freelance, but considering how little you earn on Fiverr, is it so wrong to be aggravated when some fly-by-night person from the 3rd world shows up and offers to do the same thing I do for just $5? The majority of the time, the new seller has no idea what they are doing and just wants to make a quick buck, but sometimes they are competent at the service they offer and are just willing to do i for so little. But by offering these services so dirt cheap, now the average buyer, many of whom come from Europe, like the UK, or even some “Yanks” think that these jobs, which can typically cost $1000 or more should only be $5. It cheapens the quality of the work and the time invested. It cheapens everything and creates a culture of people who expect to get a lot of stuff, for absolutely nothing.

Most of the formatting jobs I do could easily cost someone $200-$300, but I do it for anywhere between $25-$55, depending on the project, so it’s not like buyers aren’t getting bargain rates and top quality, and I realize that many shopping on Fiverr are on a budget. But these newbie sellers need to quit being so damn cheap. It is creating an atmosphere where people believe they deserve to get $500 worth of work for only $5, and when you try to charge what a project is really worth, they scoff at you and cry about you being too expensive and are more than willing to let you know about some other seller who is willing to do it for nothing.

So you can sit there and judge us, but here in the “United States of Entitlement” we like to be paid for the work we do, or is that expecting too much?

Thumbs up for this great post. I had a terrible experience with one of the buyers from UK, and i felt bad ever working with him. I did 4 hour excellent job for him for $25 and he came back asking me to continue the work. For what? because you paid me $25? Hell no, i can’t do any addition. I replied. Guess what he did next, he requested for cancellation. I was mad, and forced to abuse him. What nonsense. I reported him and he did the same. Fiverr with their style, started posting warnings on my wall. Unfortunately, i had to refund the buyer and i earn $0 for working with him. Now he might be happy he got the work for free, but i bet he will regret it.

How many sales have you had from China? I’ve had just one in three years. What do you suppose the reason is for that?

“Why should you (or I) be protected in a worldwide market?” - maybe it’s not that much an issue of sellers who sell their souls for 5$ (hey, for many of those people 5$ is not that little, maybe they can live one day comfortably on that money), but it’s more about those cheap buyers who think they can get a 5stars design/project for 5$ … Not once I had buyers come to me, who previously got burned by buying into such cheap gigs, but still if they’d have to choose again, I bet they’d still go for the 5$ super promise 1st …
So … who’s bad?

BTW, building cheap stuff in China sort of was the end of the world, of the world of quality goods at least