What is the best way to refuse a buyer requesting free gigs?

I just had one of those messages, but I’m not sure if they are a scam or are they really in need of urgent help. They seem nice, but I would have to refuse because they ask to design for them for free not only now, but also in future projects they have. But I don’t really know how to refuse politely, is it okay to include the fact that designing for free might be hard or should I avoid the topic entirely and just say along the lines of ‘Thank you but I’m sorry’? Please advise, thank you so much!

I can only answer based on what I would do personally. In my case when I have tried to be overly conversational with a friendly but needy buyer, I’ve ended up with a ton of messages taking up my time and no sale. I find it best to be very polite but professional and brief. I would just say something along the lines of “I’m sorry, but I cannot do free work.”

I shall follow your advise then, I’m a bit in a bind. Thank you so much!

If you don’t have a good feeling about this buyer trust your gut and don’t work with him! You can always say “Unfortunately I do not offer free designs. Please refer to my gig description for prices” . Best of luck :wink:

Just be very professional and honest, but not rude. I’ve had many potential clients that have asked the world for $5 who I’ve had to politely refuse. You are not being rude for doing so, you are simply valuing your work and letting people know that you are running a business, not giving out freebies. That may sound harsh, but it really isn’t. You’ll get plenty of professional clients that will value what you do!