Fiverr Community Forum

What quality of voice over recordings will i get on fiverr?

WHAT QUALITY OF VOICE OVER RECORDINGS WILL I GET ON FIVERR?

On Fiverr you will get a variety of types and quality of recordings. You pay for what you get.
Most often you will be getting a dry or raw recording. It hasn’t been processed in any way. I have a sound booth, so my dry recordings will sound better than most on fiverr. If you’re hiring a voice artist for a rock bottom price, expect the raw recording to be worse. Again, you pay for quality. In raw recordings you will hear breaths or mistakes made, and background noise. And you might get a few plosives or a little sibilance. Many production companies will ask for this raw footage, because it’s easier for them to process if the sound hasn’t been messed with.

There are also clean recordings. It’s what I usually send my customers, especially those who don’t have a production or advertising agency involved. I’ll clean up background noise, breaths, and mistakes. But I’ll also sometimes leave in another read of a phrase. It’s the client’s job to decide which version they prefer, and also adjust the timing of the recording so that it fits their project. Most of my clients are very happy with a clean recording, and many just add the recording into their project and immediately publish. Many voice artists will charge extra if you want a clean recording. Even with a clean recording, the reality is that if you want to work with voice over recordings you need to have access to software so that you can at least cut and paste desired reads, and also to adjust timing. Audacity is free software that gives you the ability to do this. You will be required to put in some work on your end to make any recording work for you.

There are also recordings that have been mastered by a professional audio engineer. A production company will do this before publishing. They will clean up the recording, mix and master, add in music or other sound effects, time it perfectly to your project, and make it sound like a million bucks. For those who do not have access to a production company, there are a lot of incredible audio engineers on fiverr, and I’m sure on other sites, who can do this for you for a small amount . Don’t expect a voice artist to do this. It takes a lot of training and experience to do this right. Hire a professional sound person. It’s worth it. This isn’t necessary for a phone recording. But for other projects, you’ll stand out, and look very professional. Again, this is not a voice over artists job to do. Find an audio engineer you work well with, and you will be so happy with the final results.

So make sure that you understand the quality of the recording you will be getting. If high quality is important to you, then expect to pay a lot more. Also expect to make adjustments on your end by using software such as Audacity, or by hiring a sound engineer. Remember, it is the voice over artist’s job just to record the script. No matter what, you will need to put in at least a little bit of effort on your end to make the recording work for your project. This is how it is done in the professional voice-over world. Please do not expect voice artists to do more for 5 to 10 times less money.
THANKS, AND MAY YOUR EXPERIENCE ON FIVERR BE AWESOME!

2 Likes

That was very educational, thank you.

1 Like

I know–I came in here with the shouting jokes and left empty handed! Kudos OP.

1 Like

@gracebjarnson i completely agree with you … Even i do provide my clients with Clean Edited Audio… but sometimes when they ask me to add music and give them a processed voice with other effects… i tell them that it wud be charged extra because we Hire Sound Engineers to do that and its a chargeable service… which is clearly mentioned in my GIG… then they get irritated and threaten me to cancel the order… I think some clients still think that Fiverr is a Low Quality Marketplace of Freelancers… We need to change this … God knows how it will happen … :slight_smile:

1 Like

:slight_smile:

1 Like

We’ll see if we can make it happen. But it’s hard when so few are educated about these things.

1 Like

Education is definitely what is needed on this site. Thanks.

1 Like

It depends on the artist. As a buyer on fiverr, I sometimes need to find voices for long term projects. When I do, I will basically hire about 5-10 artists and send them the same script. They might not know it, but often it’s a paid audition. What do I care? It’s cheep enough, right? So then I listen to all of the recordings, and pick the one (or two) that I want to work with. I have purchased over 250 voice overs on fiverr. You get good and you get bad. And sometimes you get great. Now, as a seller and producer of VOs on fiverr myself, I always try to give a great piece of audio. I treat every job as if it were one of those paid auditions I mentioned above. My buyers are very pleased, and most of them come back again and again. It’s all about quality in the end, and you’ll know it when you hear it.

3 Likes

Thanks for your comments, James. Your approach is a great one. Really people should realize that a good product may take a little work to find, but it is really worth it in the long run.

1 Like

Exactly Grace. I have a handful of voice actors/actresses that I go to with confidence every time. And my buyers feel the same about me. I have buyers that I have done over 100 jobs for, and others I have worked with for years. It’s a mutually beneficial arrangement. God bless the people at fiverr!!

1 Like

Hi! I realize this posting is about a year old but I wanted to post in case. This was a great thread & I think it’s helped with a question I have but I would love a little confirmation that I’m understanding this currently. I’m brand new to Fiverr as a voice over artist. I’ve been a professional actress for years so I understand voice acting but I’ve been intimidated about learning the Adobe Audition software. If I understand this thread correctly, I should be able to get started with my new Fiverr voice over business before learning the Audition or Audacity software. I purchased a high quality mic recommended to me by some acting colleagues (Audio-Technica) as well as a pop screen & I have prepared a space (walk in closet). I’m always very concerned with quality in anything I do so I don’t plan to simply turn in crappy sounding files by any means. In fact I tend to be overly obsessed with turning in only high quality work when I do self-tapings for acting auditions so I am sure this will be the same for me. But it’s so nice to know that I don’t have to master the sound engineering portion of this in my early start-up days! Thanks guys for all the help with this posting!!

2 Likes

Thanks to all :kissing_heart:

I said that too. Don’t copy other’s answers.

1 Like

Yes unfortunately But the subject is interesting :ok_hand:

1 Like

My respect for you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey Mom, welcome to fiverr. Like you, I am all about quality. My first recording studio was in a closet full of clothes, but that was the best I had at the time. It worked, so long as there were no cars or trucks driving by, airplanes overhead, dogs barking in the neighborhood…I think you get the idea. I just upgraded every chance I got. Fiverr wound up paying for my state of the art sound-proof recording studio, so now I can work any time, night or day.

As for the software end, I started with ProTools by Avid. I don’t think it really matters which software package you use, they all do the same thing, albeit differently. So, it comes down to using it, and reading the manuel, and experimenting, and watching YouTube videos, and asking for help in online forums (such as this), and you will get better. I’ve been using ProTools for 7 years, producing with it over 5,000 audio files, and each one is better than all that proceeded it, and I learn something new everyday, and I probably only understand about 2% of it’s capabilities.

If you believe you can do it, just do it. Don’t over-promise, over-deliver every time, get better with every job, and you will succeed.

2 Likes

Thank you so much James! It’s such an exciting venture & I think it’s a great environment to learn the ropes. I’ve been watching YouTube videos which have helped immensely! The details of the sound editing have been overwhelming but one step at a time is my motto. Thank you again for your very helpful response & your friendly welcome!

1 Like

You bet. Just make sure that your clients know you are sending a raw/dry recording. Some clients are totally okay with that while others want you to be able to clean up the recording.

1 Like

Wow! I didn’t know this before!