Fiverr Community Forum

What to do before going Out-of-Office "Vacation Mode"

Hello Fiverr sellers

This is Muhammad Nagah - a fellow freelance Arabic↔English translator on Fiverr since 2013. During this period, I had to go on and off vacation mode for over 12 times for my medical exams.

If you plan to go on vacation for some time, then this is what you should do:

(1) Turn your “out of office” mode for twice the period of your vacation
For example, if you plan to go on a two-week vacation, then set your out-of-office period to be 4 weeks. Once you are back, you can turn the vacation mode off manually, without the need to wait for additional 2 weeks. The reason I recommend 4 weeks instead of only 2 weeks is for emergencies (for example, you decide to extend your vacation but don’t have internet connection where you are).

(2) Follow the 5 Days Rule
Make sure you go “out of office” at least 5 days before the start date of your vacation, and also to deliver all your active orders at least 5 days before the start date. This is to ensure you will be there to respond to your buyer’s revisions, if any.

The “out of office” mode will take your gigs off the search results. New buyers won’t be able to send you messages (keeping your response rate as is), and old buyers won’t be able to place orders (keeping your on-time delivery and order completion rates as is). Everything will return back to normal once you are back from your vacation.

Don’t worry your gig positioning won’t be affected, unless you are gone for over 6 weeks (this is based on my own experience)

I hope this was helpful :slight_smile:

14 Likes

It’s a gem! Thanks a lot!!!

2 Likes

thank your information

3 Likes

Those are good plans.

The first time I went on Vacation Mode I had a similar idea in place, but I found when I returned I wasn’t receiving the volume of orders I was before, and it took me months to climb back up. My positioning wasn’t too bad-- the issue wasn’t reflected in the metrics we see… but there was definetly a negative affect.

Since then, I never go on Vacation Mode. If I plan to go on vacation, or away from being able to work normally… I just increase the price on all of my services to above what the normal market is, and increase the lead time on each by a few days.

If/when I receive an order during that time, I have the countdown leadtime so I can still deliver on time, and a great margin!

I also make a point to keep responding to messages via the mobile app. I my experience, clients generally understand and are grateful to be kept in the loop.

4 Likes

Thanks for your information

1 Like

Thank you…your information is very helpful. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like