What to do when seller fails your gig?

bvrettski

I had never used Fiverr before but needed to start posting some blogs for our new site so I enlisted a write that looked well reviewed both in quality and quantity.

I provided them the subject matter I would like discussed and included some samples works for comparison along with some relevant copy from our website.

A day later I received a lengthy article that completely missed the topic and in fact made a case against the point we wished to make. Clearly the writer didn’t read the samples I provided, or didn’t understand them. The writing style and language was a bit hard to follow and seemed to struggle in making points clearly and quickly.

A portion of my response after reviewing the article:

Your article begins with:

Dо Yоu Really Nееd a Wеbѕitе Dеѕignеr?

Most of thе sites wе have worked on thаt have bееn built bу “wеbѕitе dеѕignеrѕ” are not еffесtivеlу producing lеаdѕ for that buѕinеѕѕ.

And ends with:

At thе еnd of the dау, a website developer is аbѕоlutеlу nееdеd tо hеlр you with your wеbѕitе; hоwеvеr, thеу are uѕuаllу bеѕt at working with соdе, grарhiсѕ аnd overall lооk аnd fееl. An internet marketing рrоfеѕѕiоnаl is what will hеlр уоu tаkе уоur оnlinе business tо the nеxt lеvеl. Eithеr a рrоfеѕѕiоnаl ѕеаrсh engine mаrkеting firm оr аgеnсу will hеlр уоu establish a mаrkеting рlаn fоr уоur site ѕо thаt уоu саn ѕtаrt to ѕее rеѕultѕ frоm your рrеѕеnсе оnlinе.

As a small market design firm we do offer all of those services but your article is basically saying, " Skip the designer and hire a seo / marketing firm."

That message doesn’t work for a small startup group like ours and isnt what we were looking for. I dont really get the feeling you read the sample texts I attached.

To which I received the following reply:

_____________________ left you a message in your inbox:

"Hi thanks for getting back to me so will you like i change everything to talk more about web designing "

This is unedited on my part with clear senence structure and punctuation issues.

I’m not really sure how to proceed here. I get the feeling the writer does not understand the subject and is not capable of producing the kind of quality content needed.

Some advice would be appreciated as I have no real experience working with Fiverr vendors. At this point I don’t feel proceeding with this vendor will yield anything useful for us.

Yes I’m aware of those options. I’m wondering what others recommend doing and are successful with.

I realize its only $5 to me but the idea of paying someone for a job done wrong is well…just wrong.

I’m suprised their is no option to leave critical (but accurate) feedback.

I’ve decided to give them the opportunity to rewrite it if they wish or the option to cancel the Gig. I put the all in their court so to speak. Maybe that’s the 4th option go along with the three above.

"I’m surprised there is no option to leave critical (but accurate) feedback."

There is, actually. If you do not request a refund, you can leave any feedback you like. It would be best to be polite, of course.

There’s a difference between “the buyer does not like the results” and “the seller did not produce the promised product / the buyer lacks the skill to produce the promised product.” Critical feedback may well be warranted in the latter case.

Reply to @bvrettski: I’d suggest, if you haven’t already, running that article through a plagiarism checker. The discrepancy between the writing in the article and the writing in their communication makes me wonder if it isn’t lifted from the internet somewhere.

Of course, it’s also entirely possible that there are multiple people on that account and one writes, while one handles inquiries. I know you likely won’t use that article so it doesn’t matter if it’s been copied, but if this seller is just copying articles from the internet and selling them to buyers, that might be something to mention in your review. As someone in that same category who doesn’t do that, it’s annoying to see other sellers who obviously are taking advantage of people, and those people then become completely disillusioned with Fiverr and stop using it when there are actually tons of great sellers here.

Reply to @bvrettski: As has been pointed out, you can pay for the unusable gig and get the ‘privilege’ of leaving accurate, negative feedback, or you can cancel, get your refund and move on to another seller.

I agree that the scenario in @kjblynx’s #3 is hateful and not a genuine option, but I don’t see that it relates to your situation. I don’t believe a seller should be rewarded with payment or a positive review for either being inept or outright dishonest. And that entire post gives the impression that it’s an obligation of a buyer to be exceedingly considerate of a seller and their reputation.

A recurring theme on this forum is that sellers should be compensated for “their time” regardless of whether or not they are even vaguely capable of performing the work they advertise. In my opinion, orders that do not meet the content or quality of what was agreed upon in the order, should be canceled and an automatic, negative rating should be given. It’s my sincere (and naive) hope that unworthy sellers would learn that they are wasting their own time by trying to ‘cash in’ with willful incompetence and trickery.

$5 is not a large amount, but if a seller agreed to provide what you asked for and didn’t or couldn’t come through, it doesn’t matter if it costs $0.50.

Excuse my harshness, but I’ve really had enough of people being rewarded when they don’t deserve it - in Fiverrland and everywhere else. People need to be held accountable for their actions. 🙂

Reply to @kjblynx: I should have been more clear with my paragraph separation. 🙂 I didn’t mean to imply that you were saying that no matter what, a seller should be paid, just that that is a general theme on the forum - and that your comment could be interpreted as re-enforcing it.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression; you definitely talk sense.

Archived