What's the Ranking Algorithm?

brejay

I’ve never really worried much about ranking in the search, because I get enough work to fill my free time and it’s steadily increasing. Someone mentioned page ranking, so I decided to google a couple keywords for my gig and was surprised to find that my gig is at the top of the first page.

Now that I realized I’m at the front page, I want to stay there. So, does anyone know how the algorithm works? Also, is there a secret to picking good keywords?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More positive reviews + less cancellations + less customer support infractions = Higher Rank and More Sales +Community Leadership = Better chance of achieving TRS

Thanks, everyone! I community leadership just posting helpful things on the forum?

community Leadership? you mean just posting and participating in the forum helps in the ranking of my gigs by fiverr?

just posting and participating in the forum helps in the ranking of my gigs by fiverr?

Not by itself, no. All forums of community leadership can increase your chances of becoming a Top Rated Seller. Those could include positive forum participation, getting on the Fiverr blog, starting or attending a Fiverr community event, becoming positively involved in Fiverr social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) and so on. Being a TRS would then help your ranking in most cases.

Secret: Fast deliveries. This is isn’t proven, but a number of people have noticed their gigs appearing to rise in rank if they crank out deliveries quickly. it’s not about delivery time, you could offer 5 day delivery time, but if you get 8 orders today and manage to deliver 4 of them same-day, that could affect you.

I am speculating but I think conversion rate is a big factor. This would be very logical for Fiverr to do and why else would they monitor it? A gig that gets lots of views but no sales is useless to Fiverr. A gig that “converts” a lot of those sales is obviously attractive to buyers and so it should be ranked higher.
To increase conversion rate, you need to make your gig as attractive as possible, make it so that it shows up for the right search terms and that it shows that you are professional. When a buyer contacts you, try to ensure that you get a sale from it. It is very likely that the buyer is one of your “gig views” in your gig stats, you need to convert them into an order. Views and impressions are not important, if I am right it will be better to have lower views, so that the only people seeing your gig are the ones who will buy it. No point in a logo buyer landing on my gigs when I don’t offer that. Focus on getting the right buyers by ensuring your description, keywords, title etc are all accurate.

I am speculating but I think conversion rate is a big factor. This would be very logical for Fiverr to do and why else would they monitor it? A gig that gets lots of views but no sales is useless to Fiverr. A gig that “converts” a lot of those sales is obviously attractive to buyers and so it should be ranked higher.

To increase conversion rate, you need to make your gig as attractive as possible, make it so that it shows up for the right search terms and that it shows that you are professional. When a buyer contacts you, try to ensure that you get a sale from it. It is very likely that the buyer is one of your “gig views” in your gig stats, you need to convert them into an order. Views and impressions are not important, if I am right it will be better to have lower views, so that the only people seeing your gig are the ones who will buy it. No point in a logo buyer landing on my gigs when I don’t offer that. Focus on getting the right buyers by ensuring your description, keywords, title etc are all accurate.

what would you say is the sweet conversion rate for sellers? my current rate is 5,9% down from the last time I checked ( probably due to the holiday season, I have picky on the type of assignments I work on)

what would you say is the sweet conversion rate for sellers? my current rate is 5,9% down from the last time I checked ( probably due to the holiday season, I have picky on the type of assignments I work on)

I don’t think there is any particular “sweet spot” to hit, I think the higher the better. I have had an average of around 3.5-6% most of the time but recently went up to 8.7% which was my highest ever and I’m floating around 8% at the moment. I definitely saw an increase in my search position and orders with the change in conversion rate, so much so that I had to increase my delivery time. I did not make any other adjustments to my gigs that could have caused this. With the longer delivery time I don’t show up when people search for delivery in less than 7 days so that has led to a decrease now.

I don’t think there is any particular “sweet spot” to hit, I think the higher the better. I have had an average of around 3.5-6% most of the time but recently went up to 8.7% which was my highest ever and I’m floating around 8% at the moment. I definitely saw an increase in my search position and orders with the change in conversion rate, so much so that I had to increase my delivery time. I did not make any other adjustments to my gigs that could have caused this. With the longer delivery time I don’t show up when people search for delivery in less than 7 days so that has led to a decrease now.

Conversion rate is based on your number of impressions more than anything I think.

Impressions go down, conversion rate goes up.

It would make the most sense for fiverr to show an ACCURATE average sale price amount and take that into account so that they don’t have the strictly $5 gigs at the top of the listings, when more expensive well performing gigs are lower.

My average sale price showing on analytics has always been significantly lower than it actually is.

Conversion rate is based on your number of impressions more than anything I think.

Impressions go down, conversion rate goes up.

It would make the most sense for fiverr to show an ACCURATE average sale price amount and take that into account so that they don’t have the strictly $5 gigs at the top of the listings, when more expensive well performing gigs are lower.

My average sale price showing on analytics has always been significantly lower than it actually is.

From what I can tell, the conversion rate is calculated on the number of gig views and number of orders.

It seems to be the percentage of gig views that lead to orders. For example, 100 gig views and 5 orders is a 5% conversion rate. If it was based on impressions then conversion rates would be much lower. For example, one of my gigs has 12,000 impressions and 17 orders in the last 30 days which would be a 0.14% conversion rate.

It makes sense to calculate on either clicks or views as in this case the buyer has actually seen the gig. An impression can be counted even when a buyer does not see a gig. For example, when a buyer searches for a service and then clicks on a result at the top of the page. This also counts as an impression for those lower down the page that the buyer has not seen.

Average sale price is calculated on total all time income divided by total orders completed. At the moment, mine is roughly accurate although it hasn’t always been.

I agree that the average sale price should be taken into account in rankings (it may be, but it is impossible to know as we don’t know our competitors average sale price) with the higher average sale price gigs being higher up the results.

Anything I have said here is based on my own calculations and observations so they may or may not be accurate.

One more from me that may or may not be a factor but I will mention because sellers who have not bought recently may not be aware of it.
When a buyer completes an order, they can submit private feedback to Fiverr - I will be completing one soon so I will add a screenshot then.
There is also the possibility to “Endorse” the seller for skills related to the order - Again, screenshot to follow.

It would make sense for these to be highly important in rankings as they are privately submitted and therefore likely to be more reliable. Once again, this is purely speculation as there is no way to actually measure this!

One more from me that may or may not be a factor but I will mention because sellers who have not bought recently may not be aware of it.

When a buyer completes an order, they can submit private feedback to Fiverr - I will be completing one soon so I will add a screenshot then.

There is also the possibility to “Endorse” the seller for skills related to the order - Again, screenshot to follow.

It would make sense for these to be highly important in rankings as they are privately submitted and therefore likely to be more reliable. Once again, this is purely speculation as there is no way to actually measure this!

When a buyer completes an order, they can submit private feedback to Fiverr

I think it would help everyone, sellers and buyers, to share these private feedbacks with the seller so they can see what they need to improve. Of course it would lead to complaints by the unhappy sellers if they feel these are not justified.

I would love more feedback on such things by fiverr so that when we see dramatic drops in our ranking and impressions we know exactly why it happened and what to do to improve. As far as our gig placement we are in the dark.

I’ve never really worried much about ranking in the search, because I get enough work to fill my free time and it’s steadily increasing. Someone mentioned page ranking, so I decided to google a couple keywords for my gig and was surprised to find that my gig is at the top of the first page.

Now that I realized I’m at the front page, I want to stay there. So, does anyone know how the algorithm works? Also, is there a secret to picking good keywords?

So, does anyone know how the algorithm works?

The Ranking Algorithm: 👍

initialize d[v][0] = infinity for v != t. d[t][i]=0 for all i. for i=1 to n-1: for each v != t: d[v][i] = min (v,x)∈E (len(v,x) + d[x][i-1]) For each v, output d[v][n-1]

smarty.jpg.f66d9c10628f4b77efeb09bc2de3d124.jpg

13 posts were split to a new topic: Whitehatseo comments, pulled from Algorythm topic

@whitehatseo10 Many of your posts on here over the years have been attacks on people. There is no logic behind this post either. If you have to be a moderator, or admin to get more sales it would follow all them are are getting more sales than anyone else and all are in front of anyone in their respective categories. I think you will find the answers as to rankings are in this thread already if you look closely enough at a few posts.

There was no reason to attack @misscrystal either for replying to you but you have done this in the past as well when people have disagreed with you. Instead of attacking everyone why don’t you use the information in this thread to get more sales instead of seeing conspiracies everywhere.

initialize d[v][0] = infinity for v != t. d[t][i]=0 for all i. for i=1 to n-1: for each v != t: d[v][i] = min (v,x)∈E (len(v,x) + d[x][i-1]) For each v, output d[v][n-1]

fcd95b59ad2f0b5a8ddb697ad65544152f35d8df.jpg

initialize d[v][0] = infinity for v != t.

d[t]=0 for all i.

for i=1 to n-1: for each v != t:

d[v] = min (v,x)∈E (len(v,x) + d[x][i-1])

For each v, output d[v][n-1]

frantically studying this…,.👓

nope. looks too much like algebra, my brain does not process algebra

@whitehatseo10 Many of your posts on here over the years have been attacks on people. There is no logic behind this post either. If you have to be a moderator, or admin to get more sales it would follow all them are are getting more sales than anyone else and all are in front of anyone in their respective categories. I think you will find the answers as to rankings are in this thread already if you look closely enough at a few posts.

There was no reason to attack @misscrystal either for replying to you but you have done this in the past as well when people have disagreed with you. Instead of attacking everyone why don’t you use the information in this thread to get more sales instead of seeing conspiracies everywhere.

@markp His posts have been removed since he didn’t respond to requests to stop. The only thing that remains is ozzieuk’s response since he was the first one attacked. 🙂

While nobody knows the exact formula, the more people who rank you (X stars) the better off your rankings are. Unfortunately, today it appears the 5 star on a $5 order ranks the same as a 5 star on an $200 order which takes you 3 to 10 times longer to deliver.

I do know the current ranking is weighted toward the last 60-90 days. Meaning: Recent rankings carry more weight than ratings 4 months ago.

Getting more of your clients to rate your work is one of the major factors as of this writing. If you read this message months from now, it could have totally changed.

I hope it evolves to pay more attention to repeat clients, tips, and total revenue rather than primarily the number of 5 star ratings…

Note that writing a good ranking algorithm is far more difficult than it appears. As you add more factors, someone has to decide how tie breakers are handled, and which factors are more/less important. The more factors, the more complex the interactions and it’s easy to have unintended consequences in the results set.

(If it was easy, I suspect they would have implemented alternatives long ago.)

I think that maybe the amount of messages you receive on a gig is also a ranking factor? I have had a nice amount of enquiries on my best selling gig and it is ranking really well.

I am sure also the amount of people that have bookmarked your gigs would count too.

It is probably loads of little factors all added together such as have been mentioned above.

Guest phantompower

fcd95b59ad2f0b5a8ddb697ad65544152f35d8df.jpg

yes looks right and the answer = 6.54

I didn’t realize we could host Fiverr events and [maybe] get rewarded to do so! Does anyone know how to go about hosting an event? A lot of my friends ask me about Fiverr and making money on their own time so I’d love to do a local event to discuss this.

Archived