Fiverr Community Forum

What's your budget? What's your budget? What's your budget?!

Can I offer some friendly words of advice to all the sellers on this site.

DO NOT ASK "WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?"

If you ask me this I will simply close down the conversation and move onto the next seller and keep repeating the process until I find someone that does not ask this!

It is obvious that you are wanting me to say $10,000 so that you can rub your hands together and reply that your price is also $10,000. How stupid do you think we are?

The process you should be using is really very simple :

1. client contacts you with details of what they want doing.
  2. you provide client with your price to do task required.
  3. client accepts price and you get on with the task, or, client does not accept the price and you go your separate ways.

That’s it! Asking the client what their budget is an excellent way of ensuring you don’t get the job.

23 Likes

While I understand what you say, and personally I hate this question too as a buyer, sometimes I do ask it, to gauge if my buyer is in the same ballpark. If he says 5-10, and he wants a spaceship with all the bells and whistles, I’ll politely decline.
It is also a profit maximizing thing - he says 60 - if I want the job, I send an offer of 50 or so. If I don’t want the job, I say 120 - if he takes it, I do it with a smile. If he declines, I am happy too.

11 Likes

I understand that there is no point proceeding if the buyer is not even ‘on the same page’ with regards cost, but even when I reply that I don’t have a set budget because I’m more interested in finding someone that fully understands what I want doing FIRST AND FOREMOST, this just gets ignored and the pestering for my budget continues.

I’d say that most of the buyers here are Western with English as their first language, and most of the sellers here are ******** with English as a secondary language. This naturally leads to misunderstandings over the requirements in a lot of cases, especially for complex tasks, so as a buyer my primary requirement before even discussing price is that the seller fully understands the problem AND also knows exactly what needs to be done to fix it.

Once that has been established only then should the discussion move on to talking about costs.

Mod Note: region reference removed.

2 Likes

I’m getting many New buyers message. Who do say “He’s budget is lower than my gig price” What do i say to them :smile:

Like @fogi said I don’t ask the budget question much either, but there are also times when it’s unavoidable. Like the person is already bringing up their low budget idea, or if they are asking for something incredibly out of the ball park.

I usually never ask the budget, but instead give my flat rate price. I think that sellers who give their rate instead of asking a budget are more likely to connect/build trust with the potential client.

So I think you are right that it seems a bit sketchy at times, but I also think some just don’t know how else to do it.

Sorry your experience has been so poor. I hope it changes quickly.

3 Likes

You wish them all the best with their project and go your separate ways.

2 Likes

I also feel like 90% of us sellers are NOT doing this. We are honestly just wanting to make sure we can provide you with everything you are requesting. Every buyer is different, with a different idea of what they are looking for. As sellers we have to adapt to that but also make sure we are being appreciated/paid for our hard work as well.

3 Likes

There is no reason to vary your prices based on the client’s budget! I do not know why vendors find this such a difficult concept to grasp! I repeat what I said earlier :

The process you should be using is really very simple :

1. client contacts you with details of what they want doing.
  2. you provide client with your price to do task required.
  3. client accepts price and you get on with the task, or, client does not accept the price and you go your separate ways.

The budget should not even come into the discussion. If a job will take you 2 hours to complete at $40/hr then the price is $80. The price should not go up by $100 because you asked the buyer what his budget was and he told you it was $180. Nor should it go down because the buyer said he only has $40.

The only reason a vendor asks a buyer what their budget is, is to try to squeeze as much money out of them as possible and it’s as obvious as day and night.

9 Likes

Why don’t you save yourself the whole buyer request/custom offer problem and find a seller who offers what you want as a fixed price gig?

No need to haggle about a budget then.

16 Likes

No, it’s not the only reason.

With the services I offer, I never need to ask for the client’s budget, so I don’t do it; however, those who offer complex work sometimes do it for perfectly honest reasons. For example, a buyer contacts them and tells them that they need a, b, c, and d, the seller states their price, the buyer says that they don’t have that much, and rather than just telling the buyer that they would need to look for someone else, the seller asks for the buyer’s budget in order to assess what they can do for that amount (is it a and b, or a, b, and d, or whatever).

12 Likes

I seldom use this question. But sometime, I ask this question to clarify which package of the gig is suitable for them.

I do ask this question quite often if the buyer doesn’t know what they want. So I can recommend the best package for them at their preferred price. Some are not willing to spend more than $5, so would be pointless to offer larger extras, only to get disappointed by the price.

2 Likes

If you have (for example) a coding or CSS problem that needs fixing (as I did) then I do not see any need to ask what my budget is. It makes no sense. To fix the problem is : time X rate to find the problem + time X rate to fix the problem. It’s as simple as that. There is absolutely no point asking the buyer what his budget is because you cannot offer different levels of solution. The problem is either fixed, or it isn’t. You can’t say “well Sir, for your budget I can find your problem, but I cannot fix it” as that is no help to neither man nor beast. There should only be one reply and that is :

a. yes I can fix the issue - the price is x.
b. no I cannot fix the issue.

I maintain the only reason vendors ask for budget is to see if they can rip off naive buyers who will inadvertently blurt out an amount that is higher than what the vendor would normally charge.

3 Likes

So buy a fixed price gig.

3 Likes

If only it were that simple…

You buy the fixed price gig, list your problem and then find after you’ve paid that the vendor doesn’t have a clue what to do to fix it. Your money is tied up for weeks while the vendor ignores all your messages in the hope that you’ll go away and in the end you have to go to support to intervene (which is a whole new world of pain on the top of the one you’re already dealing with). No. I’ve learnt from experience that complex issues need running by the vendor first to make sure they understand it AND also know what needs to be done to fix it.

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve got a problem with the sellers you’re choosing to work with rather than anything else - I don’t mean that in a bad way BTW.

How about drawing up a list of all the tasks you could potentially need done in the future, and then approach a few sellers, not with a particular job in mind, and just have a chat with them to gauge their abilities, and perhaps put them on the back burner until you need them?

That way, there’s no money changing hands, and you’ve got a list of potentially good sellers to deal with?

You could take it one step further and come up with a $5 problem that needs sorting out and shortlist a group of good sellers that way?

Just thinking off the top of my head.

Good luck! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Why is this such a problem for you?
Tell what your budget is and if the seller finds it insufficient or you don’t like their offer then you part your ways.
If it was a simple task and you were planning to pay $15 for it then say that your budget for that job is $15. What’s the big deal?

I sometimes ask for a budget and here’s why

• if a buyer says that they need a website for $5 then I know that they are not the right customer for me because they obviously don’t know what a decent website costs
  • if buyer’s budget is $400 then I know what kind of services I need to cut to meet their budget.
  • if a buyer says their budget is $1500 which is over my premium gig, then I can add additional services to the proposal

Most of my customers don’t have any idea what a website costs. If I know their budget then I can put together the best package they can get for that kind of money. It’s just a proposal and they can still tell me if they wish to include or exclude some of my services.

16 Likes

I just read your post and besides being funny I thought it was relevant. Have a great day!

Good afternoon to you too! :rofl:

4 Likes

Hmm? I can see both sides of the argument.

However I come from the vehicle graphics design background, working for companies large and small. Customers who need their branding applied to wind turbines and passenger ferries and yachts, to the occasional beauty salon or estate agent. Designing and preparing graphics for vehicles from the ground up.

Knowing what someones budget was and is key to working within their means and or providing them with much more than they were expecting or thought they could achieve.
Managing your work around someones budget can be tricky, particularly if they have a micro budget - but in the long run it is often beneficial to both parties to be open from the start.

6 Likes