Fiverr Forum

What's your "Contingency Plan" against Fiverr income?

Interesting thread. I am not the right person to answer this question as my circumstances are different. But I fully understand and empathize. For me personally, Fiverr keeps me busy and productively occupied. I dread to think what I would do without it.

Of course, I can’t but speak from personal experience; living within a first-word community and working within a very specific field: that of content writing.

While Fiverr may be the solution for a selection of individuals in developing environments, only a handful of these have access to the degree of education and services necessary to compete within professionals from, say, the US or Europe.

I’m not trying to discredit other sellers or throw more mud around than what’s strictly necessary to make my point clear. Thing is, for a majority, Fiverr shouldn’t be seen as a steady and solid source for work, just as it shouldn’t be seen as a quick way to make a buck.

I’d like to take a few moments to discuss your last statement. True, some may pay for a test gig and then invest more for a larger project, but - at least from what I saw - most see Fiverr as a quick and cheap way to plug a hole in their website while they come up with more appropriate content strategies.

Don’t forget that 5 bucks is never really 5 bucks. Although buyers are not told so, Fiverr charges a flat 20% rate on each project, no matter the final price. A 5 dollars gig comes down to something around 4? I’m not quite sure, I rarely get paid for small projects these days.

Professionals are also required, at least in some countries, to pay VAT or another form of income tax. Depending on the country, that is an additional 4 to 30% being taken out of the seller’s wallet.

Once again, unless your preferred lifestyle costs very little, you inhabit some sort of fiscal paradise, or somehow manage to churn out 5-10 orders a day, it’s unlikely you’ll ever make much more than struggle to break even.

Even 10 articles at 5 dollars each, for me, would add up to a grand total of 40 USD. Take 10 off for a coffee, a sandwich, and electricity and I’m left with 30 bucks per day in my pockets. And that’s without considering how the average length for a 5 dollars article on fiverr is 500 words or 2 hours of work according to the Editorial Freelancers Association.

TL;DR: can definitely be done, unlikely to be done.

You have no idea. But I won’t say more because my friend Cy will say something snarky in response.

I saw an SEO writer who sells their gig for $75 as their basic price :slight_smile:

I just meant that many sellers sell their gig for more than $5 per gig.

But of course you are right about this site isn´t build for a steady income, well I guess just like any freelancing job, nothing is steady?

Darn it! Can’t find it now! There was a long thread titled “Fiverr: Should Be Fourthierr of Fifthierr” (something like that).

Topic’s been discussed before: those who do that accept the risk of receiving way less orders than those having a gig that starts at 5 :slight_smile:

I’ll link it to you if I find it :smiley:

@ghemachandar1 You may find this thread relevant:

Also, I bought this book on my Kindle today. Relevant to this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Poor-Richards-Retirement-Everyday-Americans-ebook/dp/B0725GG5LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497277852&sr=8-1&keywords=aaron+clarey+poor+richard's

[The advice applies to Indians as well.]

Oh! Nice thread. Thank you! :slight_smile:

You’re suggestion to not buy a Car with Fiverr income was spot on. Presence of alternative modes of transportation apart, buying a car is in general a poor investment and buying it with Fiverr income is worse. A car is as good as it’s owner and of what use when he becomes a pauper again?

The message I was drilling with this thread is this: If you are a high Fiverr earner (in relation to your country’s PPP), be glad but cautious. Losing Fiverr business will not be like losing a job or traditional business but like a Star athlete fallen from grace (except that you don’t have as much money but is just as difficult to get back).

Absolutely correct, that’s the best way to put it.

If youtube is going down, what makes you think fiverr will not? With so many sellers coming everyday and occasional buyers, well, let’s see what happens in a few years, or months.

I can see how you feel that way as a New Seller. But for established ones new competition may not be a major concern. Despite ‘millions of Gigs’ you find on fiverr, quality professionals are hard to come by and will always be in demand. I can personally vouch for the fact about 90% gigs have no value whatsoever and actually have negative value, insofar, they consume time and effort of the buyers.

What all sellers must be concerned about is the Search positions. Once you lost Gig rankings you lose visibility and orders. Repeat customers can only help you so much.

Good point. Personally, I think everyone should have an MTurk account for worst case scenario. (Not that MTurk is bad, but it’s plain hard labour)

I actually just created two gigs to see how easy or hard it was to get money, not that I need it because I have a full time job in real life.Im just saying what I think based on youtube, online bussiness tend to decline and shut down. Myspace, hi5, rapidshare, mediafire, and some others have surrender, youtube is next. Big youtubers reported having earned just a 20% of what they used to.
Fiverr is not a full time job nor should it be the main source of income. You see how easy is it to get competition everyday, and regardless of high reputation buyers sometimes look for new sellers who are willing to do more more less, I myself did that in a couple purchases, and now that new seller has like 13 reviews in less than a month.
I’d say being on fiverr is just a hobby, to improve your skills, whoever made this their full time job and speaking of “success” should wake up and realize that life is more than this. People who have real important projects do not come to fiverr, they hire other kind of people to do the work, these buyers are just ocassional buyers who need something quick and cheap.
But I do agree that search positions are important, as important as having a contingency plan (for those who rely of fiverr). But like I said, this is not my job, nor I really need 5 bucks from here, I have a job where I’ve worked for over 4 years and in case it goes bankrupt I have experience :slight_smile:

I disagree with most of what you have said here but will stick to just one point which is related to this:

You are basing this on your own experience here and some assumptions (I assume), well here is my experience. I specifically focus on larger jobs from businesses and in the past 6 months I have had a lot of orders of over $100, a good number of orders for over $200, several for over $500 and one for $2500. Each of these businesses were “real important projects”. Sure, a lot of sales are also from people who want something cheap but the days of “everything is $5” are long gone.

PS. I had 10 years experience in the industry I specialized in and it didn’t help me find a job when the company folded. Now I am a freelancer using different skills than my experience would have prepared me for, although there is some crossover.

Regarding the YouTube aspect. YouTubers don’t consider that fact that everyday there are more and more content creators starting out which soaks funds out of the top creators.

Fiverr is a professional marketplace and just as @eoinfinnegan mentioned, the motto of Fiverr being a cheap marketplace was flown out the door as soon as bigger priced packages were invented.

On a side note, people have become millionaires off Fiverr.

Well, watching youtube videos is free so unless the creator lower his quality there is no reason his viewers would stop watching him. I can just watch as many videos as I please with no cost.
On fiverr instead, people have to pay for stuff, and the more sellers there are, the less orders you may get. To make enough money to live out of fiverr you must give away your social life and health and I dont think that’s worth it honestly. But, to each its own.

@oscar_98 From what I heard, those Youtubers who lost their subscribers and got demonetised are those whose content is too controversional and way too offensive. (please do your fact check, don´t take it from me).

Not really, just some keywords. I myself have a youtube channel about the military, including words such as war, death, demonitizes your video. News reporters have to put in their titles controversial words, they get censured as well.
The thing with online jobs is that you are subject to changes all the time and the only way to find a solution is to send a support ticket. On the real world you can always talk face to face with your boss and see how to deal with problems.
Just by reading recent topics I can tell doers are not happy with support, they complaint of everything, that their gigs arent receiving enough exposure, that buyers are scammers and support side with them, resellers, and perhaps some more.

@oscar_98 I´m a somewhat new Youtuber (a small one) featuring my dogs. I don´t have thousands of subscribers yet, so I haven´t experienced being demonetized or losing subscribers. (edit: I think my channel would never be demonetized, coz the content is family friendly).

I work 4-5 hours per day, you?