When a seller asks for a tip?

cathymchung

If you didn’t ask the seller some extra after your order has been placed, IMHO is not fair asking you a “tip”; but you’re the only one that can decide if this seller worths a tip or not: try to ask yourself if he overdelivered or simply if you think that this work is so well done, so special, so wonderful that worths a tip.

Everything you decide is correct: a tip is something a buyer can freely send or not accordingly to his feelings about the gig itself and the experience with the seller.

I have a gig specifically for tips, but I NEVER solicit for a tip. If they feel like giving me a tip then great! If not, no biggie it won’t make me think differently of a buyer. I personally feel like asking for a tip is too much. I feel like the experience, time, and quality of my orders is payment enough.

It could be possible that they are undercharging their services? I dont really know, but from a buyer’s stand point it’s really up to you if you think they went above and beyond the work. Don’t feel like you are obligated to tip

Reply to @tigermonkey1: I have a specific gig for tips like you and, like you, I do not ask my buyers tips because I feel it’s too much, it’s like to break the trust that arises when the seller asks a number of gigs and the buyer places the order. It is not fair that the buyer ask for more AFTER ordered, nor is it right for the seller to ask for more after receiving the order!

Most sellers have a tip gig on their profile. When I deliver orders, I usually include the line of "if I have exceeded your expectation and you would like to do more than just feedback, I greatly appreciate tips. Please find a link to my tip gig below for convenience…"

It’s perfectly normal as itsyourthing stated.

If the seller doesn’t have a tip gig and you want to tip them, you could order another gig but make it clear that it is a tip for them and you don’t require any work doing or ask them to create a tip gig for you.

Reply to @madmoo: I think it depends on your gig. For example, offering a graphics gig (which sometimes could take 1 - 2 hours per order) will definately not worth it for $5. That not include if the buyer ask for modification for the job.

But most importantly, ask them nicely!! Most buyer do knew how hard to complete the order. So, they will give a tip.

Rule no. 1 - do not used forcing words!!

Example: ‘‘If you think my work worth more than $5, I really appreciate if could leave me at tip at XXXXXXXX. Thank you.’’

I’ve been doing a lot of larger gigs recently that take a fair amount of work, so I am thinking about adding a Tip Gig too. But I won’t be forcing it on people really. I will send the link when I have done a larger job though I think. Proofreading whole ebooks takes time!!

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

I never thought about doing that Jo…good idea. I get customers who order my tip or order multiples but i can just send the link with a kind message.

Many sellers offer tip gigs, but they should always be optional. If the seller is directly asking you to tip to receive your work, contact customer support.

In regards to tipping, there is no issue behind it. However, many cultures have different “norms” when it comes to tipping.

For example, in the UK, tipping is appreciated, but doesn’t happen half as frequently as in the US - where although optional, it is culturally seen as a mandatory thing, you wouldn’t order a meal and not tip, or get a taxi and not tip etc - but this also comes down to minimum wages and other economic factors, as a lot of services in the US rely on tips to make up their wage, whilst relying on tips to make up your wage in the UK is actually illegal.

Rather than directly ask for money, I prefer to lay my tip gig out as a gift, it’s much more personal to share a gift with someone, than it is to just give money.

As Jo mentioned, I go into more detail here: http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/3892/treat-yourself-and-increase-your-tips/p1

• 1 month later...

I never solicit for tips either. I usual send a PDF with most of my orders. The file includes the link to their created mobile page, their qr code, instructions, my terms for future changes, and two graphical banners I created. One is linked to my tip gig and the other is linked to my fiverr profile. I never blatantly ask for tips, but I do add this to the delivery messager (amongst other things), “If you REALLY LOVE MY WORK, please share it socially. I would greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.” 🙂

I never solicit for tips either. I usual send a PDF with most of my orders. The file includes the link to their created mobile page, their qr code, instructions, my terms for future changes, and two graphical banners I created. One is linked to my tip gig and the other is linked to my fiverr profile. I never blatantly ask for tips, but I do add this to the delivery messager (amongst other things), “If you REALLY LOVE MY WORK, please share it socially. I would greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.” 🙂

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

paying more to get the service within 24 hours isn’t part of the tip but part of the service.

at the end it is up to you if you want to tip them or not, it’s just a nice thing to do because people on fiverr tend to make something that is worth $100 into $5, so if you think they deserve a tip, go ahead and tip them.

• 6 months later...
Guest ajaykhan29999

if i give a tip it deducts some $ from my account? and if i do not give tip ,so what will be? if i give tip , what is advantage or disadvantage for both of us buyer and seller.

Archived