Fiverr Forum

When Exactly Did Fiverr Stop Caring About Its Own Credibility?

Not so much of a rant but rather a real and tangible source for concern.

Considering the previously unexplored depths that this site recently managed to reach in its ongoing quest to inexorably sink to the bottom of the ocean, someone should give the Quality Assurance Team a wake-up call and check up on them. If these guys work from the northern hemisphere, you might want to bring them a cold one and make sure they didn’t die and stink up the place even further.

The goods and services marketed through Fiverr’s pages seem to go be subjected to no filtering at all, quickly turning the platform into what could only be described as the digital version of a renaissance fair. At this point, learning that the true meaning of “pending review” is “we’ll stock these gigs here for a while and then automatically publish them without even looking at what we’re doing” wouldn’t really come as a surprise to me.

There are spiritual guides promising protection, clairvoyants claiming to read minds, self-proclaimed pick-up artists teaching anybody how to get the partner of their dreams for a handful of bucks and - despite the TOS clearly standing against it - individuals kindly offering their time and NSFW pictures in exchange for cold, hard, sweet cash. Some of these nice fellow sellers have hundreds of reviews and have been around for months. Breaches of the same rules that should ensure quality and professionalism left there, in plain sight, with the people in charge doing nothing about it.

I wouldn’t mind so much if these gigs were drowned by the constant flow of new sellers reaching our shores, but several systematically pop up in sponsored posts on various social media. I’ll try to keep it simple for those who don’t exactly understand how on-demand advertising works: these are generically related crowds (say freelancers, people who run a business, people who have specific interests that the Fiverr marketing team deemed valuable enough to target) being shown a carousel of what the site has to offer.

Imagine how amazed these potential customers would be to find out Fiverr is the one-stop-shop for anything they could ever need. Did you just order your new logo, a blog post or perhaps a professional voice-over? Why not hiring Charlene and having her show you the real merchandise? Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy resting my eyes upon the sinuous curves of a female body as much as the next guy. As the good ole professor Oak once said, though: “there is a time and place for everything, but not now”.

For the sake of those trying to build a business out of their time spent on this site, if a more final solution is too hard to implement, could the staff at least consider adding an easier way to report unruly gigs? The button is nowhere to be found and, at least from what I understand, the current method requires that you manually open a ticket with CS and hope for a prompt response. I’m sure many among us would be glad to lend a hand in policing their place of work, if you gave us the means to do so.

Well, looks like it was a rant after all!
I’m out, have a nice day everyone!

Yes I completely agree.

Add to that the illegal gigs and copyright infringing ones and you have a pretty good idea of what’s wrong with this picture.

If only we had a reporting button. Maybe one that could only be used by really high-level sellers, like we have sellers who are mods in the forum.

Or even better: “I volunteer” as a video expert to scan gigs in my categories before they are published.

I would be more than happy to lend a chunk of my own precious time to help the martetplace I am in.

Ads you see online and on social media usually correlate to what ad providers know about your search behavior. In this case, if you are seeing ads for curvy women, maybe this is because Google and others have seen you spending a lot of time looking at curvy women?

All that said, you are correct in regard to the fact that Fiverr doesn’t care about quality. What you can’t do is attack clairvoyants as fake because that’s you wanting to shout about why you think they are all scam artists. What people can and should do, however, is shout about Fiverr and copyright fraud.

Who do you think does more damage to Fiverr’s reputation. The logo provider who sells a plagiarized design to a buyer which results in the buyer being sued? Or a girl with a box of cards saying, “hey wanna know what’s going to happen next Wednesday?”

You’ve buried a salient point in mad ramble about psychics. You shouldn’t have done this. in fact, right now, someone might actually be doing voodoo on you.

You’re only partially correct here. At least on FB/Instagram, ads target demographics: groups of people who adhere to specific criteria. You will learn more about the inner workings of these systems if you ever run your own ads campaign through the Cupertino tech giant.

Ever heard the line going somewhat like "if you’re not paying for a product, then you’re the product itself?"
Users are herded into blocks that, for instance, share a specific interest or already like similar pages or already had something to do with Fiverr in the past. Age, physical location, spoken languages and the such are also taken into account. These targets are selected as feasible for the campaign and are shown the ad itself.

Carousels, instead, are built on Fiverr’s side. The internal ranking system is an industrial secret but it’s not hard to believe that tags and Google data collection have something to do with it. The last NSFW gigs I visited, just prior to the creation of this post, were tagged as “NSFW, chatting, woman, company” et cetera. These are broader keywords that you wouldn’t exclusively use when looking for, let’s say, some personal time.

Copyright infringement is another, equally important, issue that Fiverr has had for a while. The two need to be handled separately, with the latter usually requiring more evaluation time that the former. For a copyright infringement case to hold an order must first be placed and delivered. Its results are then to be analyzed by the relevant department at Fiverr’s CS and all parts need to be heard. The Fair Use Act comes into play and the whole thing could take weeks to solve.

What I’m talking about in this post are blatant, immediately clear breaches to the site’s Terms of Service. Things that shouldn’t have been there in the first place and that make the whole platform look like it’s being run by someone who cares not for quality nor credibility.

Note: It’s all about making an effort toward the acquisition of external customers, the lack of which you were denouncing in one of your latest posts a few days ago! :smiley:

The Fair Use Act comes into play and the whole thing could take weeks to solve.

Am I right in that there is no “Fair Use Act” currently in force. There is a fair use exemption to copyright law (or “fair dealing” in the UK? eg. for study, research, criticism, etc.), but (see Wikipedia) the “Fair Use Act” (US) doesn’t apply…“The bill was not reintroduced.” - Wikipedia.

For a copyright infringement case to hold an order must first be placed and delivered.

The copyright infringement could also be in the gig info video or other gig content (images, text, links from the gig etc.)

The Fiverr copyright checkers could also check the buyer request section for people asking for things which would be breaking copyright law to do.

What you can’t do is attack clairvoyants as fake

Fiverr could have a test/series of tests for that category so various abilities could be verified. So the true ones could have a “verified” check mark or something for each category/subcategory with a note on the scientifically valid tests passed.

This same thing would then have to be done for pretty much each category:
SEO tests to prove they do what they claim
Marketing tests to prove they actually help market
Writer tests to prove they actually express what is required
Come on, there has to be some element of let the buyer choose what they want to buy, not have all choice removed. Tens of thousands of satisfied clients in the “woo-woo category” (as James Bulls used to call it) kinda gives those sellers a bit of a license, regardless of what any individuals think of the services.

Well I’m sure they said they’re already doing tests in the “Pro Gigs” category (as well as verifiying a lot of other things like qualifications etc.).

If Fiverr don’t want to do tests for things like that (abilities that could definitelty be tested scientifically) they could put in a disclaimer like “For Entertainment Purposes Only”.

But I don’t provide SEO services for entertainment purposes only and am not sure what scientific tests would be practical and applicable.

Besides, I don’t fancy having to pay the increased commissions to cover the cost for the 100s of 1000s of sellers who need to be scientifically tested, do you? The verification of the Pro sellers is to justify the higher prices they charge and to promote the platform to a different type of clientele. Implementing that verification to every seller would have to be done first in order to make it fair before any action on it could be taken. That’s a pretty big task and who is to say what the standard would be? How good does a writer have to be to be called a writer?

No “tests” in the Pro category either.

Just a -mostly superficial- background test. And a series of questions about SM presence, experience and samples of work.

Now when I send my work samples for instance, they can’t 100% test whether or not I used a template, if the illustrations are copyrighted or whether I straight up lifted someone else’s work.

Fiverr took a step in the right direction with trying to vet pro sellers, but some bad fruit also made it through the cracks, as Fiverr cannot actually verify a video pro expert. They can only assess up to a point. They would need a video pro on their team to point out fishy samples, or fake claims.

same for marketing, writing, graphic design, or what have you.

It took me 25 minutes after launch to spot a couple of fakers in my category. I messaged Fiverr about it, but they did not lift a finger.

The “For Entertainment Purposes Only” was a disclaimer that could be added for the Clairvoyant and similar services, not very every gig category. They show something similar on TV shows about ghosts etc. It could protect Fiverr from getting sued (eg. for fraud).

The tests (or some of them) could even be automated multiple choice questions (I’m talking mostly about these types of services here) with a correct answer, for abilities that could be tested like that.

OK just for kicks and giggles, can you think of a legit scientific test for someone who claims they will cast a spell to bring you money?

or a spell that makes someone love you?

Like this is obviously a subject I don’t want to touch with a 10-foot pole, but c’mon. Let’s get real here.

No “tests” in the Pro category either.

Just a -mostly superficial- background test. And a series of questions about SM presence, experience and samples of work.

Thanks. I read about tests in the Fiverr blog:
http://blog.fiverr.com/m-a-fiverr-pro-seller-heres-what-that-means-to-buyers/

After going through their rigorous application, vetting, portfolio review, and testing processes, I was invited to join Fiverr Pro

and it says “they validate a freelancer’s:… Skills and expertise” - the same thing they could do with these other types of services.

I can’t speak of the process overall.

For that it’s best if you talked to a Fiverr staffer.

I only spoke about my personal experience.

BUT

I was enrolled in the program pre-launch, so questionnaire AND process were significantly different.
and the samples of work I provided were easy to prove they were mine, and they were published by a MAJOR brand on their official FB page, so there was really no way I could either fake it or use work that did not belong to me.

But that was me being pro-active. Fiverr never sent back a question like "is this really your work?"
but that’s maybe because of how I sent the samples, there was nothing for them to ask in my case particularly.

I’m not sure. Probably have a test group and a control group of a sufficient number of people and ask that a certain amount of money spell is cast and the spell works on the test group (without them knowing and without the people being tested knowing the full identifies of the people they cast the spell on (eg. maybe just initials & city or something) - so they can’t just transfer money to them in some way) in a short enough time and check whether they received it and check what the control group earned. But for the money spell, if someone can cast that they could cast the money spell on themselves and become instantly rich (though that would surely have legal implications), so why would they be working on Fiverr?

But clairvoyants claim to see into the future etc. That would be easier to make a test around. eg. ask what the lottery numbers will be tomorrow or something. The next day they will know if they are correct. Or remote viewing. Ask what the randomized number on a secure computer screen is currently showing - if they answer correctly enough times they are validated for that test.

I refuse to continue discussing this.

I am sorry but I have no elegant way to approach this. Discussing money/love spells, seeing into the future etc, is something I can’t do with a straight face.

I’m out. :slight_smile:

In reality they could just apply to the James Randi psychic challenge (if they’ve been publicised) and win themselves a million dollars for scientifically proving their claimed ability.

Is that the one that exposed Yuri Geller?

He’s the same man that exposed him.

man that was a funny video to watch, when he was on Live TV and none of his tricks worked. :smiley: