When is a reversion actually a reversion and not an entirely new order?

So I have a buyer whom I think only wants free work. The guy wanted me to edit 16 videos so I gave him a quote of 10 videos each 20$, 4 videos at 15$ and the remaining 2 at 5$ each. So the guys sat and decided that since I offer reversions at 10$ he would order 1video edit at 20$ then ask for reversions at 10$. In the name of reversion he would give me new videos to replace the older ones. Are this actually reversions or they fall under new orders?

I’d say (and I could be wrong) that it’s not so much a revision as an addition, so yes, it should count as a new order.

See earlier forum discussion here:

If he is giving you new ones then those are not revisions. They are new orders.

Stand you ground. You cannot let buyers dictate how you do business and circumvent your
fees.

He thinks he is smart enough to take advantage of you. Its definitely not a revision.

Of course at the end of the day, you decide. A totally different video would never count as a revision from my POV. (I don’t let them do that with VO, a different script is a new order…)

The first sign of someone trying to pull one over on me with revisions is the point I politely refuse to work with them again.

When someone is promising me “a ton of orders” or “I want to order a lot so I want a discount” my radar is up.

Instead I say something like “Let’s do the first one or two and make sure I can meet your needs. Then let’s figure out the rest… I don’t want you to dislike my results, and be stuck.”

I want to see how they are to work with… and if they try that type of revision stuff, I recommend they find another seller.

If they are reasonable and far overall, game on, let’s work together.

Don’t work with people who are trying to get you to do more than is reasonable for your price point.

Wow I never knew that ( They have done this several times ). They manipulate us in different ways.

Well, some try. Most buyers are fine/reasonable, but there are a few that think they can get something for nothing.

If someone wants a large order, I break them up. I love providing more value than I charge, but I DECIDE what I give away.

Had a guy tonight that said my results were “too professional” and wanted me to re-record it all again sounding more like a novice (he was doing some type of automated sales calling thing).

Problem is on his first $10 order, I gave him an extra $10 worth of bonuses because he was a first time buyer. (He didn’t order everything he should have, I let him slide knowing when they see the value, that won’t happen again.) Then he wanted it interpreted differently, for free.

I said, “Sorry, that’s a total redo, so you can either pay for the revision or we can mutually cancel.” No stress from me either way.

Based on his specific responses, it was obvious he wanted something for nothing. I already gave him extras he didn’t pay for, now he didn’t want to pay for a revision.

No problem. Next!

Now I just looked at my stats: Out of around 1500 orders, I’ve had about 40 mutual cancellations for reasons like that. I’m not exactly cancelling on everybody. (My comments above are a summary, I tried to give him what he wanted without cancelling…)

All to say: You decide. If they are not treating your fairly, sometimes you need to cancel.
Don’t go crazy with that, but sometimes it’s the best choice.

yes cancellation is the last option. My most of cancellation are when buyer for an actual ($50-$100) order, place a $5 order and then say, " Please let us know if you need something"
and at the end, of course we dont agree on the pricing and I hit the cancellation.

I don’t fall for the I will order more items in future that’s why I told him that the discount would actually be implemented on his 11th order.

In this case I can’t cancel or even think of it because I already delivered the order according to his first requirements.

I read that discussion but never actually found that little information that I needed. Lets say you work on a tshirt template where you can add any logo. Then someone places an order gives you one logo. Then later on says “you know what? that logo doesn’t look good. Use this one instead” Would that be a revision or a new order?

I already told him that what he is trying to ask would fall under a new order but I just wanted to get an insight of, if I was right or wrong. All the material required are the same the only thing that is changing are the videos.

:slight_smile: Yes different videos are new orders, not the same one.

Sounds like a new order, not a revision.

It might be useful to add something like a revision policy in your gig description (or in the FAQ, if you have no more room in the gig description), and define what you do as a revision, and what would be a new order.

You’re quite right - no need to think about cancelling - you did what was required.

@phantompower

Yes that’s a line you need to draw.

For example if a buyer orders a video and his requirements is to have a specific text in the end, changing that text’s wording somewhat is considered a minor revision. Like a word here and there.

But changing the sentence to something else entirely, it’s like giving them two different versions for the price of one.

So you need to clarify what constitutes a revision for you and the service you are providing.

I sometimes find it confusing when you need a revision that is not your fault - it seems a bit strange that, for example, a voice over could misread your script, but when you need this changing, you have to use one of your revisions.

A revision should be a small change to the work. If you have followed the instructions of the buyer and delivered what your gig says it will deliver then that is the job completed. A revision should be something like a slight adjustment to a position of something, maybe a color change etc. Changing the whole thing is not a revision. If the buyer forgot something then you should consider charging for the change. If you forgot something then you should apologize and make the change.
I have seen some complaints from buyers on the forum where the seller delivered something that was nothing like what was ordered. In that situation the seller has not completed the job and should fix it properly as discussed and as per their description.
Sellers who offer unlimited revisions are just asking for trouble. Difficult buyers will seek them out and exploit them. Have confidence in your work and learn to communicate better from the beginning so that you don’t need lots of changes. For most gig, 2 or 3 revisions for most jobs, each taking 5-10 minutes should be enough or else you or your buyer are not communicating properly in the first place.

In my book, that is a new order. If you buy a blue car, and decide you want a red one instead… That’s a new car! :slight_smile: