Fiverr Forum

Who else can never sleep at night?

I too have problems with sleeping. More with the schedule than with the number of hours but it does affect my health.

Part of the reason why I don’t sleep regularly is because I don’t have another job besides freelancing. On top of that, I’m on a gap year (therefore no studies either) so most of the time I can sleep whenever I want. Both a blessing and a curse.

I’m continuously getting better at it, though. No point in being rich if you’re not healthy!

By the way - for all you night owls that like to work on a computer after it’s dark: I highly recommend a program called F.lux. It claims to filter out the blue light that is emanated from your screen - which has been shown to mess up with the sleep hormone (it’s melatonin, I think). As far as I understand, it replaces it with red light, which allegedly is easier on the eyes. There is a mobile equivalent called Twilight. I use them every day and I can really notice a positive effect both on my eyes and mind.

Note: I’m in no way not affiliated with either of the products mentioned above – simply recommending them based on my experience.

Hmmm, I will do my little research on that :smiley:

Reddit sucks anyways.
I recently broke up with my ex and started dating a new guy after him 2 days later so yeah my sleeping pattern is a bit messed up

I envy you. I sleep too much and fed up of it now :confused: known as the laziest person of the family. looks like can;t improve my sleeping habits

Funny, after I posted this topic I went right to sleep. :laughing: I actually got contacts that are really good with brightness from electronics, so it doesn’t feel like my corneas are going to burn off every time I look at my phone or computer screen at night, lol.

I’m a bit relieved to know that others can share the issues I have with sleeping at night. It’s hard to be a night owl or be an insomniac when society wants you to participate during daylight hours too. I’m in my last year of school and take multiple language courses that eat up my time during the day. It drains me a lot, but I chose this life and I have to deal with it. I also have issues with chronic pain in my joints and get sick all the time, so being awake all the time isn’t doing me any favors plays world’s smallest violin

I personally work better at night, because the rest of the world is quiet and I can work without being disturbed. I guess that’s a big upside to having owl hours, lol.

Thanks everyone for giving your inputs! It was interesting to see. :grinning:

Some were doing the obvious: making babies. :slight_smile: Or just relaxing, thinking (scholars, philosophers), reading by candlelight (the same), praying (there were some prayers to be said between the two sleeps), talking… Some would get more active, and visit the neighbors (yes, at about 2 AM or something), or do some tasks that can be done by candlelight or moonlight (I’ve read about sewing or chopping wood as examples, though both seem unhealthy and risky).

2 Likes

lol I mostly go there to read the badroommate and relationship subreddits because I like reading about other people’s problems.

1 Like

Haha, they would light candles, sometimes go and visit their friends for a little while and chat…

If you’re interested in reading more about it, Roger Ekirch was the first historian to write about it, and many others have picked up on it now. I can’t link to articles on here (I think that’s against the rules), but if you google “Segmented Sleep”, you’ll find a bunch of articles on it. Pretty interesting. :slight_smile:

That’s the way to do it. :+1:

2 Likes

It makes sense to me. I do that anyway, get up for 2 hours in the middle of the night and read or forum post :slight_smile:

1 Like

I work from 10 PM to 7 AM. Somehow, I sleep better during the day than I used to at night. However, I do use sleep videos (or mostly the audio of them) to fall asleep.

I always get tired after my unimportant activities in the afternoon. So I almost always sleep well at night. I am very rarely stay awake at night. I had that time though when I used to be awake at night, very very long time ago when I did double jobs, it ruined my appearance and health. Now I look much more fresh and am healthier ever since I don´t stay awake at night anymore.

Which country do you live?

I used to have terrible insomnia for weeks, now I fall asleep at around 8PM even after checking screens. I guess my circadian rhythm itself is sick of getting tired during the day and is trying to fix itself now… having daily obligations early in the morning helped.

I never seem to have that issue of not being able to sleep. As soon as my head hits the pillow, I’m in Dreamland.

I do recall not being able to sleep once, no matter how I tried. I had just changed locations, and I am quite prone to having system changes when in a new environment.

It was definitely not a great experience.

I am a night person. And everytime I set my alarm, I just see only 4-5 hours until 9 am :joy: