Who here has ever had a Tip Jar gig?

creativeman

Hi all,

I’ve had a tip jar gig for a long time and then maybe a year ago fiverr integrated the tip option at the end of an order.

I’ve still kept my tip jar gig but it’s seldom used, many people who tip don’t leave a review as the tip is the reward in most buyers minds so I have like 24 reviews on my tip gig.

Once in a blue moon I’ll get a big tip, my biggest I think was $65 which blew me away.

I’m considering removing it as I simply have too many new gigs I want to launch that will be more popular and plus tips are built into fiverr. It’s taking up valuable real estate I think and 20 spots just isn’t enough for me so some of my gigs will need to be swapped with new ones.

Who here had a tip jar and ended up removing it?

Tell us your story about tip jars below…

Kind Regards,
Murray

It’s nice when buyer’s decide to tip me without the little nudge of a tip jar in my gigs. Also buyer’s see the chance to tip when the job is delivered.
I like tip jars where the extras say things like “you can buy me a cup of coffee” or say what the money will be used for.

Hi Murray.

I still got my tip jar!
I dont think i would ever leave it.
I know that it may reduce my percentage on my full stats, but it happens to me to offer a neverending support to my customers, who may came back to me after days or weeks with very very very very small or null edits or resize or suggestions. When i help them it happens to receive back a tip, and this is what it means to be: an additional way to help our customers to tell their gratitude without leave a fake-or-empty preview for an ongoing gig.

This is at least my experience and my vision!

Thank you for sharing yours as well!
Ren

Hi! Thank you for your post. $65 tip is really mind-blowing.🙂
My Tip jar gig is still there. Once it already helped me to get rewarded for my efforts. Buyer decided to to tip me although their work was not completely done due to external factors.
It was a surprising gift from a nice Buyer.

Yeah the big tip came from some one who did a $150 order so proportionally it was still good but I wouldn’t expect a tip that size on a little $5 gig delivery.

Fiverr has a real cross section of of society financially wise. You get people who haggle and question a million times over a $5 gig and then you get others who clearly have more disposable income and will order hundreds of dollars worth of orders and make quick decisions.

Yep. No prizes for guessing which kind of buyer I prefer! I think it’s great that the platform is growing and the latter kind of buyer is coming to the site to find quality work–I do wonder if the the recent closure of Elancè might have bought a new influx of buyers as the transition was… rather poorly handled, and some buyers and sellers from the platform may have opened up here. The tip thing is OK, but the big pull for me is not having to bid everyday…

I wonder who was the very first real seller on Fiverr? Not a test account but the first brand new user with a gig? Maybe I should do some research and write a Trivia e-book about Fiverr! Hmmm… Coming to a famous book-site near you!

To answer the tip jar question in one post @creativeman - I had one after my first sale or two. Mine said something like “buy me a sandwich and enjoy virtual lunch with me.” I kept it until about 3 months after the tip feature. I got a few nice tips on it, but after the new feature none of my buyers used it. I deleted it to make room when I had all my gigs up. I don’t regret deleting it.

I’ve gotten tips even more often after the feature was added and I like having the space when I’m ready. I have had a couple of buyers revisit much later offering to send me tips because they made money off of a service I had done for them. For those I used custom quotes which worked out fine and can be higher than the maximum tip.

@emmaki- You’re probably right about Elancers moving here, but when I was on Elance, Fiverr contractors were regarded as the lowest of the low, and many Elancers proclaimed rather loudly in the forum there that they would rather be dead than on Fiverr, but guess what?

Many of those same Elancers are now on Fiverr, and I come across more and more of them all the time, because they often have the same usernames here that they had on Elance. It’s a small world…

The good news about famous book seller is that there’s a very low barrier to entry. A trivia book about Fiverr would certainly be a breath of fresh air from the regular Fiverr-themed books. Not to mention, you could probably book a spot on the Fiverr blog and boost your sales here 😉 (and I imagine they’d help you with trivia…)

I was on Elance myself, though I used my real name there. I just didn’t like the bidding. I did snag quite a few long-term well-paying contacts from there, so all good. Same with the new megasite that Shall Not Be Named.

I reckon quite a lot of the Elance crowd came here because they realized that Fiverr was a lot more than it seemed at first. I certainly only joined in late 2013 because I realized that the $5 was just the launchpad for a smart beginner to get a great income with NO MORE BIDDING!

The good news of course is that those sellers are bringing their clients with them. Meanwhile the other new megasite gets worse and worse… I do pop in but the jobs on offer are very poor, and of course you’re bidding. Fiverr’s got a great opportunity here to really grow beyond its current reputation. All those little tweaks are pointing in that direction. I’m more interested to see how they rebrand Fiverr when the day comes…

One thing I did like about Elance was that staff would participate on the forum (though rather ineffectually imo). Having a dedicated staff member on here could really help rather than just the occasional parachute drops.

This is all rather off-topic, isn’t it!

Archived