Who is Passing Around the Blooming Memo?

I am so sick of scammers. One scammer makes me less likely to accept orders from 10 new customers just due to the sheer stress. What I want to know, though, is who is passing around the secret scammer rule book? - i.e. How do waves of buyers seem to follow the exact same pattern of scammer behavior without (apparently) being connected?

Every once in a while, I get a buyer who starts pestering me for delivery, despite an order already having been delivered.

It starts with a friendly, “Hi, No rush but I really need this asap.” (For an order delivered hours earlier while the buyer was online.)

Then it quickly descends into insensible:

"I can’t see it."

"Can you send me the file via email?"

"How do I know you did the work?"

"What you have sent is broken."

No. Stop talking :poop: . You have apparently been a member of Fiverr for 2-years. Don’t tell me that you don’t know what a delivered order looks like, ESPECIALLY when accidentally making references to the work you can’t see such as, "I don’t like where you put the logo."

Please, can someone just link me to where the ‘Rules for Rogues’ rulebook is being circulated? At least that way I’d be able to track the author down and give them a good flogging…

:roll_eyes:

Andy, some fellas are :hatched_chick: magnets. However, I believe you are a magnet for :poop: scammers!

Well, since I give each one sheer hell, I don’t know why.

Um, I think it’s called fullof :poo:.com
The place to learn the tricks of the :toilet: trade.

You attract the most [insert word here] Buyers. :no_mouth:

Darnit, I wish I had saved the A.I. Sophia meme.

I’ve noticed an increase in time waster and “buyers” insisting on free work. Definitely not a professional atmosphere, especially with private feedback that influences search ranking from messaging alone, not even an order. You could be the best there is but still land on page 500 because you had 10 shady people in your inbox in a row. It’s lose-lose either way.

Other than that when it goes well on Fiverr it really does and the unpredictable human factor is is a double edged sword that has no simple answer that I can think of.

They must be avid readers of this forum and they must have some level of intuition.

I’ve had isolated incidents here and there, but over the last two weeks I have noticed a significant increase in these shady characters.

I had several in a row requesting samples (my policy on that is clearly stated in my gig description) and I have to respond anyway and point them in the direction of my gig URL. Every time, they come back with, “Yes, but I need an mp3 sample and not a URL. I don’t want my client to see the URL.”

Why. NOT!?

What’s wrong with sharing a link with a client? Seems really fishy to me.

Oh, wait. You need the mp3 so you can set up a fake profile elsewhere and pretend that it’s your own work. But then, you haven’t really thought very far ahead, have you, my friendly neighbourhood scammer. How’s that going to pan out in the long term? Mmm?

I’m not sure which irritates me more; the dishonesty, or assuming that I’m an idiot.

This is why I do not give out samples. If you want a sample to show your end customer, pay for it. What I hate most though is the: “I won’t use it, promise…” - Yeah, now you sound cheap and pathetic.

From my experience, scammers are dumb. They are literally missing the part of their brain which tells the other parts, “hey guys, do you realize how scammery we look right now?” However, because few Fiverr CS humans ever pass a glance over their behavior, they end up getting a free ride by playing the customer service card.

Anyway, my present buyer has gone dark. In this case, I’ll just have to cross my fingers that they disappear long enough for me to close their order manually.

I love the part where they pretend to be from the same country as you, but you can see that their local time is completely different. And the ones who pretend to be female and then absentmindedly sign off their message with the name ‘Ben’.

I’m already starting to make a contingency plan. Fiverr may be one of the largest freelancing platforms on the net, but history shows that even the mightiest kingdoms can fall; usually when they’re at their most greedy, stupid and complacent.

Maybe that’s the kind play they’re into? You never know :thinking:

There are certainly echoes of the Yahoo Peanut Butter Memo of 2006. i.e. Trying to be too much at once (Fiverr Pro, And Co, Elevate, Veed Me & other projects), spreading resources too thinly (CS), and not thinking in the interest of users.

We’ll just have to wait and see what happens :slight_smile:

:wink:

I have a sample article on my gig and still people ask to see samples. They tell me they can’t see it. It’s right there if you look and click the arrows! I can only assume they are scammers.

After i caught those charge backs from a satisfied 5 star review customer, i been a little more cautious. I’m probably losing out on some business but it is what it is. If a buyer has a brand new account i tend to steer away from them since it’s possible they are a old scammer under a new name.

Today i got two suspicious messages that immediately set off a red flag with me.

The first wanted me to write a rhyme similar to a certain UK artist. It just so happen to be the same artist my scammer suggested as well. The specifically mentioned they were looking for punchlines with double meanings that play on words and that is something else my scammer was interested in.

The next buyer wanted to hire me for 5 songs and gave me their contact number claiming it would be easier to set things up that way.

Both of these could have been legitimate buyers but i didn’t want to risk it. Plus the second one was in violation of TOS and it wasn’t worth the risk.