Fiverr Forum

Who owns the rights?

I have a question for all the “fivrrs” out there. I’m currently working on several animation shorts. My goal is to hire most of the talent from “Fivrr” and by talent I mean character designers, voice actors, musicians when needed etc. With that said, once this comes to fruition who will get the rights to the characters, music, etc??? Will it be me or the artist I employ?

Your question isn’t actually a simple one. Before I even try to answer, I’m not sure where the “fivrr” reference is from but in case there is any confusion, the trademarked name on this site is Fiverr.

At it’s most basic, the Fiverr Terms of Service indicates this: “Buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work, unless otherwise specified by the seller on their Gig page. Note: some Gigs charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for Commercial Use License. See our “Ownership” and “Commercial Use License” sections below for more information.”

Read your seller’s gig description and extras carefully. Ask the seller directly if you will have all rights to the work. If they say yes, hold them to it. If they say no and ask you to pay extra for part of the rights, commercial rights, whatever, you are free to accept and pay or to look for another seller.

Take a good look at the seller’s description and work. A seller who says they can put Darth Vader on your website may not understand copyright law. If they say they can draw you an original character and you’ll have all rights it might be perfectly legit. If you see obviously copyrighted music/art/whatever in their gig images, it’s not usually a good sign.

There are fantastic deals to be had here, much cheaper than you’d get elsewhere, but bargains also mean that what looks like gold might turn out to be metallic paint. Fiverr is made up of independent contractors and Fiverr doesn’t take responsibility for the individual work, so buyer beware applies.