Fiverr Forum

Why Are People Like This?

It surprises me how many people take the time to find random sellers and message them asking to buy their services, I mean, I’d expect a couple, but within the last couple weeks here on Fiverr, I’ve received about 50% of all of the inquiries where sellers are just trying to get me to buy their services!

It’s quite annoying for me, especially since Fiverr is my main source of income, as I imagine it is for these people, but at the same time, I don’t go out of my way to send out offers! I let the sales come to me with a little bit of promotion in the Buyer Requests or some other promotion elsewhere, but I don’t cross the boundary and message sellers.

It isn’t all that big of a deal, but it always seems like these sellers are not taken care of(removed from the Fiverr website).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but offering your services to sellers or buyers, other than those you have already worked with, without them having posted anything or messaging you when they need an order is against the ToS.

I just don’t see how some people can muster the AUDACITY to even send a message in the first place!! I would be too embarrassed and paranoid that my account would be restricted or banned!

I spent a good while formulating this message that I sent to the buyer because I wanted to sound both professional and have a lasting impact, and he/she responded with “ok”. wow

As soon as he said I can increase your sales, I knew he was going to pull this on me, but I decided to play the naïevity card and act like I was more clever than I really am.

I think that I handled the situation pretty well, but let me know what you think. Maybe I misunderstood something in the ToS and I’m making a fool out of myself right now… LOL…

On a side note, I’m on vacation right now and I’ve turned on Vacation Mode, so it’s time to kick back, relax, enjoy the lake and have fun!

4 Likes

It’s a combination of desperation, lack of sophistication, culture, not caring to read the TOS, no pride, and no idea how to get a sale. Remember this is a global marketplace and there are a lot of places in the world where people have never been exposed to any type of money earning enterprise besides begging.

3 Likes

Yesterday I received similar message when I was sleeping. I get a really short time to sleep and it’s really very annoying that random sellers make me to awake up and reply to them as 1st message do not show whether sender is seller or buyer.:rage::rage::rage:

I get 5-10 messages like that from VO guys/gals every week.

When I respond in a similar manner, I get lip. :confused:

Like, “I’m not spamming, I’m just trying to make a living”. And “you are a top rated seller so you don’t care”

and then they get pissed off when I report them.

Oh and I also add them to a blacklist I made, just to make sure I never reach out to them for future collaborations.

4 Likes

They have no idea how to conduct themselves.

1 Like

today so far 3 messages received… all need orders from me :frowning:

It does seem bizarre that there are so many who think this is ok or are just clueless about how irritating and unsuccessful this approach is. I usually send a “go away” type message but if I am bored I may send something like this…

Enjoy the lake!

10 Likes

:confused: I dont know what to do in these cases… Report them for spamming I guess? I havent experienced this kind of situations…

1 Like

That response is hilarious! :slight_smile: I’m also not sure anyone would want to order a translation gig from someone using the phrase “We are expertise”.

1 Like

yes, always report spammers.

1 Like

This has been going on for a while but you are right…it seems to of increased lately. I think it is a sign of the times with everyone trying to understand the new changes with the algorithm and losing sales.

Braden, you handled the situation well. :+1::grinning:
These sellers are time-wasters and response-rate busters, using Fiverr.com [inbox] as their lame marketing strategy. I report :triangular_flag_on_post: on sight! :space_invader:

2 Likes

I got a few of such messages, and just report spam.