Fiverr Forum

Why are sellers allowed to lie on their page?

I mean, over the past few weeks a person has risen to near the top of the ‘top sellers’ for content. Now, this is OK, competition is great. I lost a lot of sales as a result, mainly because they are an agency and can pump out orders faster than I can. I’ll deal with it. Anyway, I am concerned with the fact that sellers are allowed to openly lie in their gig descriptions. Firstly, I have been told (and shown articles) from this person by some of my clients. The writing isn’t anywhere near English, and yet this person claims to be a newspaper editor in America. Secondly, they have said they work an agency (numerous times on their page), and yet, they claim they are just a single person who is writing these articles. FINALLY, they use a generic picture of a ‘pretty female’ found online :confused: just to attract sales (this actually works, hot girls sell things, trust me! I had a gig, my friend had a gig, both launched at exactly the same time, same descriptions, only difference was she was a female and I was a male. She has 30 sales within a week from different people. I had 0.

Anyway, this person was promoted to top rated seller within a month of joining, I fought for over a year. What beats me is that people are able to openly lie on their pages in order to drum up sales. I don’t care that she takes more money than me now, what I care about is the fact that people are lying, and Fiverr will end up getting a bad name for it. This needs to change. Sure, you can’t prove that people are lying all the time, but when people basically openly admit it like this, surely something can be done?

Ryan

At least one of my customers sent her an order and told me “she is pretty, so she can’t go wrong”. $80 wasted on his part.

alliemadison12 said: Soooo I google imaged the girl's picture for the gig you're talking about..... She's everywhere. There are hundreds of accounts using that picture, and other pictures of that same model.

It is highly annoying as a llot of the feedback she gets are semi-flirting. It is like "fantastic articles, and she is a beautiful girl too"

mrspanda said: You can be whoever and whatever you want to be. I can be a purple unicorn if I wanted to and it's alright

This is quoted for truth. :)

Ryan, I understand how you feel, trust me.

jasmindolly and I truly believe in our work- it’s more than a job to us, it’s a lifestyle, a spiritual experience, and something we devoted ourselves to studying. Neither of us lie about who we are, but, there is a certain top rated featured seller in our niche that does. It gets better. I googled her because I didn’t understand her qualifications. Turns out that it is something she completely made up. Also, she is a convicted felon that was famously arrested for selling millions of dollars worth of fake diplomas. She was tried, found guilty, and spent 3 years in prison for fraud. If you google her, a lot of articles even mention: “This woman is now posing as a psychic on the website, Fiverr.com.” What angers me is that helping others through metaphysical therapy is my passion and something I invest time to practicing every single day. It’s not about the sales- it’s about staying true to the craft. I have often recommended other Tarot readers, reiki practitioners, and others in this niche, to my buyers, so I don’t care about competition. At the end of the day, I want them to find someone that can help them, whether it is me, another psychic, whatever. It kills me to know that some lady is ripping people off, taking their money and not truly trying to help them, just telling them what they want to hear. Sorry for hijacking your post, ryan, but your post triggered this thought out of me.

Fiverr won’t do anything… this is one of those things… it’s the internet.

You can be whoever and whatever you want to be. I can be a purple unicorn if I wanted to and it’s alright.

I think there is a lot of this kind of thing happening, unfortunately, and I agree with what you say about it giving the site a bad name.

ryangillam said: Oh well. I tried.

Don't be discouraged! As I understand, the level of offered services is nowhere near yours. They'll eventually come to you to have what they are after. Have you tried contacting cs for a heads up to your gig? They can lead it up for a few days :)

ryangillam said: Oh well. I tried.

Don't be discouraged! As I understand, the level of offered services is nowhere near yours. They'll eventually come to you to have what they are after. Have you tried contacting cs for a heads up to your gig? They can lead it up for a few days :)

I don’t think it would hurt to bring this to CS attention, but I’m sure there’s nothing they can do about people lying. They might be able to help you out and give you a bit of a boost by putting you on the homepage for a day or two though.

I don’t think it would hurt to bring this to CS attention, but I’m sure there’s nothing they can do about people lying. They might be able to help you out and give you a bit of a boost by putting you on the homepage for a day or two though.

ryangillam said: that people are lying all the time,

They do. Period. Not only here. Everywhere. I regularly get applications from potential employees who state in their resumes that they have advanced degrees in English, Literature, etc., and they can't even spell basic words, let alone use grammar.

People lie to get ahead and also because some idiot gave them the impression they are FAR better at what they do than they could ever hope to be. People lie to make a buck and people lie to score points with the person they are lying to. Intentional or otherwise.

I know who you’re talking about with the articles, and when I needed an article to be written, I knew not to order from that seller because it is SO obvious that it is a foreign agency behind it. I have a writing gig myself, primarily to keep up with my writing skills. I get maybe 2 or 3 orders a week, and it takes me about half an hour to write each 400 word article and do research. Sometimes longer! I don’t do that gig for the money. Anyway, I don’t know how one single person can possibly even afford to write soo many articles! It would have to be a completely full time job, for so little pay, which most people would not be able to handle. I’m pretty sure most people who order this gig are clueless, and probably don’t have good enough English skills to realize it’s a scam. Sad!

I knew exactly whom you were speaking of, and I don’t keep tabs on the astrology and fortune telling section. I guess most anyone could figure it out. A past felony conviction is not proof that her activity here is fraudulent. People deserve a second chance. Apparently, she did her time. It looks like she has significantly more feedback than anyone else in that category, and it is overwhelmingly positive. Her customers seem pleased with her service. I suppose that’s the important thing…

Soooo I google imaged the girl’s picture for the gig you’re talking about… She’s everywhere. There are hundreds of accounts using that picture, and other pictures of that same model. What are the chances that model is actually the one behind the fiverr gig? Hah. I’d report that.

*not to mention if that were actually her, she’d have video & modeling gigs as well.

mrspanda said: Neither of us lie about who we are, but, there is a certain top rated featured seller in our niche that does. It gets better. I googled her because I didn't understand her qualifications. Turns out that it is something she completely made up. Also, she is a convicted felon that was famously arrested for selling millions of dollars worth of fake diplomas. She was tried, found guilty, and spent 3 years in prison for fraud. If you google her, a lot of articles even mention: "This woman is now posing as a psychic on the website, Fiverr.com."

Really??????? Well Fiona, you're a spy, can't put it otherwise!!! I can understand who you discuss about, I've got specific clients who showed me the same, copy pasted reports from this seller...God may bless this individual...
However, I do feel that buyers (and we as buyers) are getting what we ask for...Personally speaking, I prefer to order for a relatively new seller with lower level, rather than ordering from a top rated seller with negative feedback!
That's all :)

they are complaining though, but new fiverr rules means that it is easy to get rid of negative feedbacks. They get at least thirty a week

alliemadison12 said: I know who you're talking about with the articles, and when I needed an article to be written, I knew not to order from that seller because it is SO obvious that it is a foreign agency behind it. I have a writing gig myself, primarily to keep up with my writing skills. I get maybe 2 or 3 orders a week, and it takes me about half an hour to write each 400 word article and do research. Sometimes longer! I don't do that gig for the money. Anyway, I don't know how one single person can possibly even afford to write soo many articles! It would have to be a completely full time job, for so little pay, which most people would not be able to handle. I'm pretty sure most people who order this gig are clueless, and probably don't have good enough English skills to realize it's a scam. Sad!

Indeed, it is very annoying. My sales have pretty much dried up as a result of that gig being up there constantly, I only have repeat customers now (although some of 'her' customers are now starting to discover me and give me large orders). It is highly annoying as I can't actually lie about my qualifications, I am a professional writer and English. I would never stoop so low to use a picture of somebody that isn't me! I write the same offer as her, and it is crazy, but it is my only job (short of other writing jobs away from fiverr) I couldn't possibly outsource the work, and would never sell agency services here. The quality would vary considerably.

What annoys me is that she has had about 30 negative feedbacks in a week, but they all disappear. When they don't disappear 'she' insults the person that left it as if it is their fault 0_o

While my gigs are creative art in nature rather than any of the niches previously discussed here, the same seems to be true everywhere. The best advise I can offer is to stat true to who you are. Be honest and friendly with your clients and over time word of mouth alone will boost you to countless repeat sales. The cons will get theirs in the end. Proves one thing for sure, you have smarter customers lol. :))

I submitted a ticket to customer support, about 5 negative feedbacks disappeared today. I know it is a little bit childish of me, but I don’t want people lying. I have had no orders for 7 days, used to average 10-20 a day, i don’t mind competition, but if people are lying to get ahead then I hate it.

medianzaira said: Really??????? Well Fiona, you're a spy, can't put it otherwise!!!

Nope. I never paid her any mind until someone mentioned it to me. I was asked if I knew who she really was and I had absolutely no idea, so I googled. First page told me everything.

integritymedia said: A past felony conviction is not proof that her activity here is fraudulent.

Have you read her gig description about herself? Level 5 warlock shaman mayan dark elves don't exist. It's not a real certification. There is no 'psychic is level xxx, indigos are level xxx.' That's completely bull. There's no school that determines what level you are, you either are or you aren't. That, shows that she's fraudulent. But, I commend her. She is the master of marketing herself. What her positive feedback doesn't say is that most of her buyers do suspect the copy and paste and come to the rest of us to verify it. Zaira's been here, what, a month? And she already has clients telling her the same thing.

Liars are going to be everywhere. When someone takes your passion (in Ryan's case, writing, in my case, metaphysics), lies about their experience/credibility to make sales, delivers bad/false work, and gets away with it, you just can't help but feel a bit cheated. But, that's the nature of the beast of freelance work and I do accept that.