Fiverr Forum

Why can't buyers read a gig description?

My e-mail gig is very clear, it even has rules:

1. One email per new customer. I don’t like refunding $50 orders.

What does my repeat customer do? He places a $50 order! I need the money and do it, and now the rascal wants a REVISION!

Who does he think he is? The Queen of England? I hate making revisions, specially with e-mails where they tend to be long.

I even added a new rule today:
3. This is a No Revision Gig

Fiverr needs some platform changes. If I wanted to write more than one e-mail, I would have packages.

What a horrible Christmas this has been. First the December sales slump, then the 60 day lose your level threat, now revision requests from repeat customers. I can’t wait for 2018.

Vacations are for the big shots making $10,000 a month. Here’s a question, if a gig costs $50 to $100, will the buyer read the gig description? What about $500? What does it take for buyers to THINK before they order?

Hi mate,
Even if you don’t provide any revisions. They can ask for them and you need to deliver.
I learnt this the hard way, fiverr can’t take the money from the buyer no matter what.
So after your hard work, either cancel the order or do the revisions!
IF you canceled the work, the buyer will take your service for free :confused:

I have them using the revision button multiple times to ask questions, such as saying they didn’t get anything after I sent it and claiming it’s not there even though it’s right on the order page.

Using the revision button to ask questions is annoying, but to me that’s easier than revising the job. I do understand your frustration.

Ironically, sometimes people ask for revisions without using the button, if I was a bad person, I would just ignore them.

You can also refund. The time it would take me to revise 5 e-mails plus the potential for more revision demands isn’t worth a second effort. Like the old song says:

You got to know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold ‘em,
Know when to walk away,
And know when to run.
You never count your money
When you’re sittin’ at the table.
There’ll be time enough for countin’
When the dealing’s done.

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin’
Is knowin’ what to throw away
And knowin’ what to keep.
'Cause every hand’s a winner,
And every hand’s a loser,
And the best that you can hope for
Is to die in your sleep."

Kenny Rogers- The Gambler

Not necessarily. If the buyer wants revisions and I don’t make the, the work I did is useless to him. All he can do is higher someone else.

From experience, many buyers simply can’t think and it is a waste of time even trying to cover every base possible. I have someone at the moment trying to get me to revise a batch of 10 x vitamin and general health articles because I haven’t once mentioned any of their products, their business, their special offers, or why their vitamins are better than everyone else’s because they don’t use coal tar derived additives and food colorings.

The buyers original brief was: “I need 10 articles about the best vitamin and mineral supplements for health in 2018.”

• No company information was forwarded
  • No links were sent to any website
  • No specific direction was given in regard to the fact that the buyer wanted articles tailored to a specific business and/or line of products

And yet this is my fault?

I’m not revising, I’m just playing revision tennis without even offering to revise for an extra charge.

It is not my problem if a buyer elects to omit to mention pretty vital information in their brief. It is theirs.

That’s an interesting assignment. What I would do is google “10 best vitamins” and then write an article about each one.

The client most likely sells vitamins, it would be helpful to see his website, then you might able to hyperlink the vitamins you write about.

Either way, my issue is not lack of information. In this situation, the client rejected my refund request and wrote this:

“Hey brother yes we love your work, and the re reason we choose you after testing a bunch of different providers. We just need more of your magic to educate the consumer on why they must have the ultimate Box and air mouse remote in their living room. hopefully you can help us here because we have a lot more emails and jobs for you and the reason we are needing the modification is because we are depending on the magic from your emails to do 90% of the selling on getting the customer to spend $350 for this product. Thanks so much and merry Xmas!”

Pretty words, but I do not have time to revise 5 freaking e-mails. So I wrote this:

"
I’m not going to revise. All my e-mails are short, and they’re not full of information, that’s what he landing page is for.

If I get the e-mail and I’m told it’s a $350 product, I’m going to ignore you. What you need is a great landing page (and I don’t write those).

I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t like revising, specially $50 orders. It took me a lot of times to write these e-mails, I don’t have time to revise them, even if you paid me extra, I wouldn’t want to revise it. I like to do the work, deliver the work, forget the work. Revising means the work never ends.

If you’re not happy with this, I don’t know what else we can do. I think you should hire another writer for these e-mails."

Am I wrong? I know this attitude wouldn’t fly if I was a full-time employee with a $50,000 a year job. But that’s not me, not anymore.

I want Fiverr to be easy and drama free, I guess drama follows me wherever I go.

I completely understand the issue. I get this occasionally too. The key problem really is that a lot of product and service vendors simply don’t understand how marketing works.

I get people asking me to revise videos to include epic 50-100 words of text in a single scene. I tell them that no one will ever read that amount of text (in a video) and that the purpose of a video, sales email, ad copy, etc, should be to pique interest and lead people to want to find out more by clicking through to a landing page. People simply don’t get it.

Also, for what it is worth, I did trial sending an Internet marketing 101 document with some orders a while back, in order to attempt to educate buyers about such basics but it simply flies over their heads. In fact, I also spent weeks learning how to create vertical Facebook Ad videos (where FB recommends video lengths of 15 seconds and very limited text. My first orders, though, were from people sending 300+ word scripts. In this case, I quickly withdrew the gig itself.

Regarding your reply to your buyer, I’d simply recommend wording future replies in line with the idea of ‘this revision request will be counterproductive to you because.’

There is a little bit passive aggressiveness in your current response and I’ve been reported to CS twice this month for much less by people who haven’t even goy active orders with me. I fully understand, however, how frustrating situations like this can get.

I don’t know. Why do I get so many messages asking, “How much to proofread 300 words?”

…I think from now on, I’m just going to tell them it’s $100.

I have a gig that starts at $45. In the questions and answer section I mention they need to get the $10 extra. Every single one of them gets that extra.

I have another gig that starts at $5. I mention several times they need to get the $40 extra in the description but less than half do that.

Nor do they come back and read the messages I send once they get the $5 gig.

The same problem in graphic design.
Clients wants to cram every single white space with text . I often get 2 a4 pages of text to try and squeeze in an a5 page. Logic just goes out of the window. They seem to think that a graphic designer has this magic ability to create space out of thin air. I give my clients a couple of chances to edit their content. After that then my brain goes into auto drive and I just become a robot for hire :frowning:

Then why not include it in the gigs price? If it’s necessary then there’s no point putting it as an extra because the whole point of extras are that they’re compulsory.

I have several reasons I don’t want to go into here.

I don’t see why not, but I’ll respect your wishes.

That’s true. In the end, I feel very guilty. My client denied my cancellation requests, so I click “deliver” and told him I wasn’t going to make a revision. He still gave me 5 stars.

Maybe he understood he shouldn’t have made a $50 order.

Maybe if he had given me a list of things he wanted me to mention in the e-mails when he ordered, we would have avoided problems. But a lot of clients don’t know what they want until they get the work, then they know and tell you.

I’ve seen it happen too, way too often. People just order a gig randomly, without reading what they get. I’ve sent suggestions to support many times on how to improve this problem easily, but I have seen no improvements on that front.

I just got my first 1 star review because someone ordered a 100 word email from me and was disappointed that I didn’t write them five to eight emails. They never requested that, and I never offered it. I gave them exactly what was advertised. Baffling…

That’s so crazy, if someone wants 8 e-mails they should pay for 8 e-mails, negotiate with the seller.

Paying for one e-mail and then wanting eight is insane.

Then again, sometimes I over deliver and end up with a revision request, so then I will revise but not over deliver again for that buyer.

Exactly. His reasoning was that he got 5-8 emails for that price in the past from other sellers. Fiverr has sellers ranging from hobbyists and inexperienced freelancers, charging $5, to seasoned professionals charging hundreds of dollars for the same thing (but usually at a much different quality level). If he wanted that many emails for the price, he should have ordered from someone who offers those rates. My rates are my rates, and they don’t change just because a buyer got a different rate from someone else.

I would communicate with CS because you clearly delivered was agreed upon. What other sellers do doesn’t matter. If I offer 5 brand names for $10 and another seller offers 20 for $5, the buyer can hire both of us, one of us, or none of us.

With that said, there is a section called “Gig Quantity” that scares me. That quantity can be from 1 to 15, the default is 1. What if I don’t want to write 15 e-mails and the buyer orders that? Then I’m stuck working or I have to refund.