Fiverr Community Forum

Why do people assume I'm a girl?

It’s been on several different occasions so far when someone would address me with feminine pronouns, and today one of the regulars actually wished me happy women’s day, and I have no idea why. Is it something about my nickname that makes it sound particularly feminine, or maybe there’s some stereotype that guys aren’t into translation? It wouldn’t be so confusing if it was a single isolated incident, but it keeps happening at least once in a while, and I have to say it leaves me completely baffled. Does it happen to anyone else here?

5 Likes

Every week I get asked to write for female-only audiences in messages from people looking for a female copywriter who understands the female market.

A friend who is really one of those socially toxic people who always tries to find ways to drop ‘friendly’ insults, has suggested this is because I look like a woman called K. D. Lang.

In your case, the handwriting of your signature in your profile pic does look a bit feminine. Real men don’t have neat curly handwriting. They have spikey bold handwriting and draw obscene gonad themed grafiti wherever they write their name.

If that is what is confusing people, just use a real selfie. Ideally, make sure to also wear a string vest and grow a beard for the occasion.

7 Likes

Yep - other way around, though …

3 Likes

Yah, as @ cyaxrex mentioned your logo has feminine look.

2 Likes

I think we can say Happy Women’s Day to anyone. I’m going to go and say it to my cat right meow.

9 Likes

I thought the signature said Agnes at first. Definitely feminine looking.

2 Likes

Even though I think my profile image looks like a grandma, which I am, I still get called sir, bro and man on this forum. :flushed:

8 Likes

You’re not alone, Vickie. I also get called sir and bro on the forum. :smirk:

4 Likes

It’s your handwriting + the pastel background color.

3 Likes

maybe because of your nick, never faced this issue as one can get who they’re dealing with through my display picture. maybe you can try putting your own picture and save yourself. :smile:

Huh, I guess that explains it, although I have to admit it is a little shocking to learn after 30+ years that your handwriting looks feminine to others :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

People live through stereotypes and myths, and one of those is that men have horrible handwriting.

Don’t mind those people. Most likely, they have never read old manuscripts with beautiful handwriting done by male scribes.

5 Likes

You’re a grandma @vickiespencer??

Why are you surprised? Is it because of her youthful looks, or because she is working on fiverr while being a grandma? I hope it’s not the latter reason. Grandmas can work too can’t they?

1 Like

Both! You go, Vickie!

Many people assume I’m a man online - not only on Fiverr. I don’t know why either. I had one memorable buyer who tried to commiserate with me about “how us older guys frequently suffer from ED, right?” TMI, even if I were a man!

4 Likes

Yes, I have 6 grandchildren. But I am more than a grandma. I am a retired teacher, a wife a mother, a good friend, a semi-successful freelancer on Fiverr, and a lover of people in general.

7 Likes

I think people may assume that when you reach a certain stage in life you stop working, especially as a woman. There is no reason to stop.

2 Likes

feminine logo and the name agrazneld can be composed out of two words. Agra Zneld… this may be the confusion… your name might actually be Agraz Neld

When I was a young kid my grandmother use to call me bro, I didn’t know any better so I use to say it back to her. :blush:

3 Likes