Fiverr Community Forum

Why do you do the music thing?

I am interested. I hope people can answer honestly…

Why do you make music?
(including Composing, Singing, Mixing, being a Record Producer like Sir George Martin)

• a) I like playing with technology. Being in control of knobs and blinking lights make me feel special?
  • b) I want people to feel that I am more creative Rok Chic Bling than they are. I deserve to be famous?
  • c) I need to deliver my music to the world as my mark, my legacy, my “children”?

The reason I ask is that it seems to me that while I am a “C”, many are really an “A” or a “B” (or both).

:slight_smile:

10 Likes

d) I enjoy fitting pieces together like a puzzle. Find a beat, brainstorm ideas, try to make these ideas rhyme, accomplishing my goal. Also I like the feedback that I get from my clients.

5 Likes

e) To overcome the imposter syndrome and prove it to myself that I can.
f) As a gift to a specific person. If someone else likes it, fine, but when I write, it’s usually with someone very specific in mind.

6 Likes

This is actually relatable to an extent. I sometimes gift friends covers on songs they like for special occasions, and they are usually appreciative. :partying_face:

4 Likes

g) I like the creative process in putting together a cover (usually it will have its own adlibs and harmonies - maybe some choir if the song matches, etc). I do need to learn how to mix audio though, because I am quite terrible at it. :joy:

4 Likes

H) Money!

-Mr. Krabs

5 Likes

j) It’s a great creative outlet that allows you to express in millions of different ways like you’ve never done so before. As someone that can barely string a sentence together to express their emotions correctly when they have to, music allows me to reflect and grow, so if I can’t put it in words I can definitely do it through sound.

4 Likes

k) I’ve worked in music since I was 18, 45 now: worked in radio, ringtones and developed music download platforms.

I can play the piano but we’re talking really badly, my style would be best described as “fat fingered” though I find composition both stimulating and rewarding, even if I can’t play what I wish I could.

Why do it? Being on air and playing great songs, when you have the freedom to pick your own playlist, is a wonderful freedom and a complete buzz.

Besides the buzz, I used to get a serious ego kick out of having loads of girls ring me each week asking me to play a song, and yes, I totally used that to my advantage: my girlfriend was a listener who rang up to ask for a song, many many years ago so it works!

Music got me laid. What more excuses do I need? :wink:

3 Likes

So, basically… ’ k = a ’ ?

3 Likes

A - I don’t create music professionally, but I love playing Electronauts on the VR and making weird beats for myself to enjoy.

2 Likes

I’d say A is a bit more geek / anorak, with K being more about getting laid and taking advantage of loads of free stuff but yeah, thought you’re right there’s a certain ego aspect about feeling special, but I never needed flashing lights and knobs for that…

2 Likes

It had already struck me that everyone added their own variant of one of the three choices rather than choosing the more direct pre-defined option. Interesting. I should have seen that coming.

I few alluded to C but most were A, B or both A & B.

2 Likes

I’ve played music since I was 11. It’s been some of the best experiences of my life. Creating music at home is an extension of that. There’s no greater joy than working with something that is just a skeleton of an idea, and turning it into a song that’s a joy to listen to. Taking an idea from nothing into something- this could be true in any art form, or even in building things- but for me, it happens to be music. I don’t think you can simply categorize into 3 narrow lanes why people do music… why do people listen to or like certain music? Cuz they do. One finds bliss in Classical music, another escapism in punk. Some might do both.

2 Likes

See you assume that Classical & Punk are different, opposed even. I don’t. They are as opposed as any two different languages.

The French speak French as a result of location. The Japanese speak Japanese as a result of location. If we had the Universal Translator or Babelfish, we would all be speaking the same language.

Music is the same. Punk may be a regional variant but not a different language. Even Indian microtonal scales are not really another language, just a variation as a result of circumstance.

I deliberately tried to pare the choices into universals. My hypothesis was that many people would put themselves into the C option then say something that was more A-B. Interesting then that everyone has to add back in their tiny (ego) details and create a new category of just themselves before they feel they can answer. Note how no one (so far) has wanted to choose one of the options at all. Not judgmental, merely interesting.

1 Like

Good point and it is interesting. I did jump on the bandwagon, which in hindsight, was rather more restrictive, even though what was listed didn’t quite fit.

I do like playing with tech, but usually it makes me feel inadequate rather than special. Maybe once I can use it without referring to a tutorial, I’ll get that specialized feeling. The software aspect changes so much and fast though, I sometimes wonder if I’ll ever manage to get use to a program before it’s outdated.

I do think I have creativity, but I DON’T want to be ‘famous’ like most people define it. I’m an introvert. Publicity, no thanks. I don’t need to share my creations with the world, when the one I made them for, smiles. I suppose I do lean ‘C’ some, though, as long as I get to stay behind the scenes.

3 Likes

I’m just chasing that serotonin, baby. Validate my existence by bobbing your head to my music.

In all seriousness, it’s always been about having fun for me. I’ve been playing music since I was a kid; its a great creative outlet, stress reliever, conversation topic, you name it. Music rules.

2 Likes

This is a common trap people fall into. A tool does not make the music. You do. You need only use the tools that you connect with so if you do not connect with a modular synth (mmmm knobs) then that is fine. Don’t use the stupid thing. Use a guitar (unghhh strings) or a tin whistle. Yes if you want it recorded there is some tech but that is simpler than most people assume too. Just look at the buttons you need. ignore the rest (they were probably added for A-type people). Or get someone who likes buttons to do that bit (but not at the expense of you doing what you are there for as many A-type people make it about their need not the need of the talent).

That is squarely in the C-Type. One person or the world is not in the definition. We read books of love letters from one person to one person. World or not, you are communicating.

2 Likes

For me it’s pretty much A. In depth:

80% actually making something new, for you and yourself only even, that makes you satisfied and/or earns you money in a positive way.
10% getting your name out and opening doors up to some new opportunities.
10% proving to yourself/others you’re good at it.

Notice how for me that 80% is “broad” and not about exclusively nailing a progression or just making a perfect patch you’re really happy with.

4 Likes

I think that Music (and Arts in general) are the most impressive way to deliver emotions and feelings. Any artist has a universe inside, ready to be showed to other artists (or non artists). In any case, we want to show our dreams, emotions, ideas since we are overwhelmed by dreams, emotions and ideas. We are dream factories :blush: or volcanos… but the cool thing is that todays technology helps us, while 30 years ago an artist could not express himself (except rich artists of course, owning a recording studio, or a painter studio etc etc)… think this, artists were obliged to accept a life with no music and no arts because they were lacking the resources to make their dreams come true!

2 Likes

I agree fully on the first part.

On the second: Making music was entirely doable 30 years ago. I know because I was there. It wasn’t that hard at all. My first cassette EP hit the shelves in 1990.

Yes it was a bit harder than with a DAW that saves everything every 5 mins and exports to YouTube & Bandcamp. But it was not remotely un-doable with fairly common household items to make something that people would actually listen to. Doing is what separates the casual from the dedicated.

4 Likes